Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Why is there a Shortage of MK3 Vehicles?

Sir TophamHatt

If Hornby wanted to churn out something that would sell "like there's no tomorrow" it would be Pecketts. Life ain't like that though and they can apparently only produce stuff in batches to fit in with the manufacturers available time schedules.

Presumably e-bay vendors are flogging second-hand stuff so a shortage on there must mean that anybody with the coaches you want isn't actually selling them.

In the world of supply and demand, there may be a demand but if there is no supply, you're stuffed so to speak.

With a backlog of new products to get through the factory and with the economic climate, they're probably holding off until they see how the Oxford Rail Mk3's sell.

If the OR 3's are as good as the pictures look, then I would imagine there'll be a surge of second hand Hornby Mk3's apear on Ebay soon after...........

cheers

Andy

With a backlog of new products to get through the factory and with the economic climate, they're probably holding off until they see how the Oxford Rail Mk3's sell.

If the OR 3's are as good as the pictures look, then I would imagine there'll be a surge of second hand Hornby Mk3's apear on Ebay soon after...........

cheers

Andy

Although OR mk3's are very keenly priced, I doubt there will be an influx of cheap models as there used to be. With astronomical price of new models, the knock on effect is second hand models are also going up in price. Gone are the days you could get a mk3, probably Lima, for a fiver

• RMweb Gold

At the last count, I had about 54 Hornby MK3s and still need a few more.

The biggest problem is that Hornby (and other manufacturers) set out to produce a specific number of units and once they're sold out to the retailers, that's it, because they've then retooled for another product. These schedules are planned years in advance which is why we had to wait so long for the re release of the FGW liveries etc,

TBH, the Hornby MK3 is pretty lame with quite a few mistakes and will be greatly surpassed by the OR version in my opinion. 

At the last count, I had about 54 Hornby MK3s and still need a few more.

The biggest problem is that Hornby (and other manufacturers) set out to produce a specific number of units and once they're sold out to the retailers, that's it, because they've then retooled for another product. These schedules are planned years in advance which is why we had to wait so long for the re release of the FGW liveries etc,

TBH, the Hornby MK3 is pretty lame with quite a few mistakes and will be greatly surpassed by the OR version in my opinion.

Including my RTC vehicles, Wessex electric, sleeper and everything else, I have about 90, all Lima. As you can imagine, I'm in no hurry to replace them! I find, no matter the manufacturer the tso always goes first. Are manufacturers still producing the same number of each type like they used to?

• RMweb Gold

Including my RTC vehicles, Wessex electric, sleeper and everything else, I have about 90, all Lima. As you can imagine, I'm in no hurry to replace them! I find, no matter the manufacturer the tso always goes first. Are manufacturers still producing the same number of each type like they used to?

Hahaha, yes....like millions of them and then only a few buffets so there's a massive scramble to get the 'elusive' coach!

Especially if the OR ones run nicely...   Mk1 Mk2 mk2 Aircons, Pullmans  all run fine on my layout in 9,10,11 and beyond train lengths...  bloody Mk3's however seem  to be the bane of my life..

This guy doesn't seem to have a problem...

Impressive,  no wonder the OP cant find any....  I have found a couple of axle's not sat right in bogies on mine so am making some progress - was running with 13 this week.   May have to see if i can get to >48 coaches now - though they wont be all mk3's

• RMweb Gold

Given that the OP isn't keen on repainting, if there is a gap in the market for a particular livery on a Mk3, it might be an opportunity for some enterprising person or perhaps a model shop to market some overlays.  It is, after all, a fairly straightforward shape with little relief detail to worry about except at the doors.

I am not volunteering, you understand...

Given that the OP isn't keen on repainting, if there is a gap in the market for a particular livery on a Mk3, it might be an opportunity for some enterprising person or perhaps a model shop to market some overlays.  It is, after all, a fairly straightforward shape with little relief detail to worry about except at the doors.

I am not volunteering, you understand...

Electrarailwaygraphics do overlays in OO. I thought he did intercity ones, but I can't see them. You can order custom ones though

Archived