Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

• RMweb Gold

uk_drs_c68nr68008_1_185_london_2015_600.

Creds to photo owner but for arguments sake here is the other side

The photo shows the green line passing through the numbers on the real thing. On the model the green line is higher on the left number and is too low/doesn't extend as far as the right hand cab (but everything does seem correct on the other side of the model). 

Edited by Ryde-on-time

It kind of looks like the same print has been used on both sides, but unfortunately the DRS Compass logo isn't in the same place relative to the whole print on both sides. A shame, but I suppose you only really ever see one side of the loco on most layouts.

Maybe I will have to have that side facing away from me :)  I almost wish I didn't know about it as I may have never noticed it but once you do it kind of bugs you a bit .....

Edited by Anthony566

• RMweb Gold

It kind of looks like the same print has been used on both sides, but unfortunately the DRS Compass logo isn't in the same place relative to the whole print on both sides. A shame, but I suppose you only really ever see one side of the loco on most layouts.

Might as well only paint one side then :nono:  Personally I am not going to ensure that all my locos face the same way - that means no variety. Thankfully, if I do get any 68s, I want the Scotrail livery. Just waiting to see how big any problems really are.

Roy

Might as well only paint one side then :nono:  Personally I am not going to ensure that all my locos face the same way - that means no variety. Thankfully, if I do get any 68s, I want the Scotrail livery. Just waiting to see how big any problems really are.

Roy

I think the spotrail and Chiltern liveries have done fine, its just the rather complex DRS livery which is causing issues, either way, I'm not too bugged as I will have two the same, so it wont look too off...

Ben

Id be interested to know how easy it is to renumber one given the complexity of the DRS livery and I think theres a stripe or something that overlaps where the number is, rather than it being on a plain blue background. You can garuntee that taking the number off also removes said livery embelishment.

Anyone daring to have a go? I might need to wait to get mine as bought some GBRf 66s and thus need to wait till payday.

• RMweb Gold

Id be interested to know how easy it is to renumber one given the complexity of the DRS livery and I think theres a stripe or something that overlaps where the number is, rather than it being on a plain blue background. You can garuntee that taking the number off also removes said livery embelishment.

Anyone daring to have a go? I might need to wait to get mine as bought some GBRf 66s and thus need to wait till payday.

Conveniently the livery mistake means the swoosh doesn't pass behind the number on one side of the loco making the job of renumbering one side far easier!

• Like 1

Conveniently the livery mistake means the swoosh doesn't pass behind the number on one side of the loco making the job of renumbering one side far easier!

That is a true, albeit unfortunate occurance on Dapol's part, as long as my pair seem alright build wise I will probably invest in the next batch as long as the livery is corrected for the DRS batch, I do fancy 68004 'Rapid'

I don't think many will really notice. Looking at it, even if the stripe behind the number vanished I don't think it would detract too much.

Its 68019 Brutus for me, got the sound chip and plates ready. You watch... Dapol will announce that one next!

Maybe I will have to have that side facing away from me :)  I almost wish I didn't know about it as I may have never noticed it but once you do it kind of bugs you a bit .....

Same - ignorance can certainly be bliss. I have a few things that I know aren't right from reading comments on here, but I would never have known otherwise! 

A post from Dapol today. Don't shoot the messenger and all the usual disclaimers http://Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=blog%2Fpost&post_id=40#.WKWme9RPPLY.facebook

To be honest I can see exactly why they might be annoyed. Some comments here are made and are needing confirmation on some of the things we find and discover. Its only through reading a thread that you find the answer to an enquiry that was first mentioned earlier and usually the answer if that its fine. A case of "Is this right?" - "Yeah mate, it is."

Take the issue of the yellow warning panel. Here 68016 is seen in Norfolk on a short set. The yellow is quite bright. http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p161695807/h1f71a44#h1f71a44 but here on the inward working, taken at the same place but in dull light, the yellow looks a lot darker http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p161695807/h1f71a44#h1256f339 - its hard to judge the full colour and take into account lighting. Pending on your perspective here depends on whether Dapol got it right as to me the one in full sun looks a good match. What I know is that the class 68 wasn't painted when it terminated at Great Yarmouth - so its the lighting that changes effect and the yellow on show is one and the same on application.

But failure to read the part that gives the answer in a forum thread, can lead to misinformation or misunderstanding taking effect. Dapol rightly should be proud of producing the model, and some wonky plates aside and looks at the off stripe of a livery the model looks great. Yes some issues with the paint have shown through in the odd release, but by and large this model looks to be amazingly popular and well put together.

The details that have featured, such as the lighting effects also drive the model forwards and I'm sure that after teething troubles of the release that this will be a model that is very highly respected. I know other areas of the market have had input so that expertise has been brought in to again push standards forwards. Personally, I can't wait to get mine - some deficit budgeting might be needed!

I'm sure that Dapol will be looking to ensure that checks on future releases try to minimise the issues involved but that overall they are proud that this is an excellent model that is delivered to market, hence the reaction and statement above.

Maybe more who are happy with theirs should voice that they are the happy silent majority in this and allay fears that some might have. As I hope soon to be one of them.

• Like 1

To be honest I can see exactly why they might be annoyed. Some comments here are made and are needing confirmation on some of the things we find and discover. Its only through reading a thread that you find the answer to an enquiry that was first mentioned earlier and usually the answer if that its fine. A case of "Is this right?" - "Yeah mate, it is."

Take the issue of the yellow warning panel. Here 68016 is seen in Norfolk on a short set. The yellow is quite bright. http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p161695807/h1f71a44#h1f71a44 but here on the inward working, taken at the same place but in dull light, the yellow looks a lot darker http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p161695807/h1f71a44#h1256f339 - its hard to judge the full colour and take into account lighting. Pending on your perspective here depends on whether Dapol got it right as to me the one in full sun looks a good match. What I know is that the class 68 wasn't painted when it terminated at Great Yarmouth - so its the lighting that changes effect and the yellow on show is one and the same on application.

But failure to read the part that gives the answer in a forum thread, can lead to misinformation or misunderstanding taking effect. Dapol rightly should be proud of producing the model, and some wonky plates aside and looks at the off stripe of a livery the model looks great. Yes some issues with the paint have shown through in the odd release, but by and large this model looks to be amazingly popular and well put together.

The details that have featured, such as the lighting effects also drive the model forwards and I'm sure that after teething troubles of the release that this will be a model that is very highly respected. I know other areas of the market have had input so that expertise has been brought in to again push standards forwards. Personally, I can't wait to get mine - some deficit budgeting might be needed!

I'm sure that Dapol will be looking to ensure that checks on future releases try to minimise the issues involved but that overall they are proud that this is an excellent model that is delivered to market, hence the reaction and statement above.

Maybe more who are happy with theirs should voice that they are the happy silent majority in this and allay fears that some might have. As I hope soon to be one of them.

Yes it is a great model and yes they should be proud of making it, I fully agree with both points, its a high quality model and these little problems are annoying but can easily be ignored. One area of concern I do share though is motors, because my mate ordered 6 and 5 of his arrived to his local shop dead. As annoying as that may be I'm sure he got unlucky and not many others have experienced similar issues...

Ben

Rieceved my 68005 today and  my nameplates were straight, the yellow ends  were spot on and no bad fitting parts,  the wire inside what was mentioned the other day is  enamel coated wire and exellent runner and  the lights are not to bright like certain other manafactures . The only issue is  the swoosh appears  correct on one side and flip the model over and its to much one way leaving the other cab  swoosh free and looking at class 68 photos i have in  collection it and upon cheching no1 and no 2 ends  of the photographs , the printing is out on one side. This may have been done by the repositioning of the compass logo on the side if they have used the same for both sides  and  the grills etc  been on the opersite end when turned round  putting the swoosh out of alignement with the other side.

Apart from that swoosh error its a nice model and nice and heavey and my only real issue is it does not come with a additional full skirt  or full pipes on the end the coupling is attached , it has cut pipes  and cut away  valance to get round the nem socket.

aprt from a few school boy errors i can live with  it  and Dapol have done a great job and  may be they will re issue replacement bodys for this major error on the swoosh.

Rieceved my 68005 today and  my nameplates were straight, the yellow ends  were spot on and no bad fitting parts,  the wire inside what was mentioned the other day is  enamel coated wire and exellent runner and  the lights are not to bright like certain other manafactures . The only issue is  the swoosh appears  correct on one side and flip the model over and its to much one way leaving the other cab  swoosh free and looking at class 68 photos i have in  collection it and upon cheching no1 and no 2 ends  of the photographs , the printing is out on one side. This may have been done by the repositioning of the compass logo on the side if they have used the same for both sides  and  the grills etc  been on the opersite end when turned round  putting the swoosh out of alignement with the other side.

Apart from that swoosh error its a nice model and nice and heavey and my only real issue is it does not come with a additional full skirt  or full pipes on the end the coupling is attached , it has cut pipes  and cut away  valance to get round the nem socket.

aprt from a few school boy errors i can live with  it  and Dapol have done a great job and  may be they will re issue replacement bodys for this major error on the swoosh.

I'm glad to hear your 68 has came out fine, and it would be great if they did a run of replacement bodyshells. what is the haulage capability like?

Ben

I'm glad to hear your 68 has came out fine, and it would be great if they did a run of replacement bodyshells. what is the haulage capability like?

Ben

apart from the printing error on one side on the drs  livery ones , its a grand model and its well heavey  and  it will  pull a good load  since it pushed a switched of Bachmann 57 with no issues  and my layouts only 5 foot  back to back  so no  stock to test haulage sorry

Have they / Where has this come from?. Apologies if it's earlier in the thread and I've missed it.

I have a ScotRail one hopefully being delivered today and I splashed out £200 notes for the DRS Exclusive. At that proce, it will be going back if it's anything less than perfect.

Hi,

I can't find it now either but I read it on here earlier today. Either I imagined it or the post has been removed. Neil was mentioned.

But, yesterday, I had a customer in the shop whose wife had bought him one. He was returning it to us as he was concerned about the finish. When I told him we hadn't received ours he knew she had bought it from somewhere else. He rang Dapol and they told him to return it to the retailer and the problem(s) would be rectified. That would be Dapol and any other manufacturers expected response. He was certainly happy when he had spoken to Dapol. Despite my itching to see the model I didn't ask him to show it me. At this stage he hadn't opened it in our shop. I asked him what is was like as a model and he told me it was "superb" even with the problem he had.

Hi,

I can't find it now either but I read it on here earlier today. Either I imagined it or the post has been removed. Neil was mentioned.

But, yesterday, I had a customer in the shop whose wife had bought him one. He was returning it to us as he was concerned about the finish. When I told him we hadn't received ours he knew she had bought it from somewhere else. He rang Dapol and they told him to return it to the retailer and the problem(s) would be rectified. That would be Dapol and any other manufacturers expected response. He was certainly happy when he had spoken to Dapol. Despite my itching to see the model I didn't ask him to show it me. At this stage he hadn't opened it in our shop. I asked him what is was like as a model and he told me it was "superb" even with the problem he had.

I would imagine they are superb models, and regarding the comment mentioning Neil it has been removed as that exchange never occurred, made clear by Dapol's statement on false info as a whole today.

Ben

Mine has arrived and all I can say is what a fantastic model. Yes the name plates are a little off and despite me fitting a Lokpilot 4, a listed decoder in the instructions, I can't get all the functions working correctly (that's probably me). Good job Dapol

• RMweb Gold

So it seems there is a mixed bag of opinions. On that basis instead of 2 sound fitted Scotrail versions I have ordered 1 DCC version. It seems the yellow may be more easily fixed - wonky nameplate and it is going back!

As for the wiring it sounds that if I want a 68 I have to put up with it.

Roy