Kings Moreton, (1980's BR)

Andrew P

Posh spotters down your end, we made do with a bag of crisps and a Wagon Wheel washed down with Tizer.

When I used to go to Heathrow Plane spotting it was just some Sarnies made by my Mum and a flask of coffee.

• Like 2

Liking the car park Andy, though I might have chased the mod away with his Lambretta.

Being a real biker the skip driver has just pulled it from the skip.

He didn’t want that sort of rubbish in there.

Lambretta's would certainly give a Skip a bad name, give me a proper bike any day.

• Like 1

Some lovely piccies there Andy, far better than my efforts. Don’t agree about the Lambretta though. My little Lambie got me about in relative comfort and reliability. I could decoke it during my lunch hour at work, and I loved it.

Regarding rtr and scratch building. I have to admit, I could never build anything as good as the modern rtr locos. The problem is at shows, you see the same locomotives gracing layout after layout, with often very little variation except the degree of weathering.

Scratch building does take time but in the end you have something unique. Also when scratch building, you learn a lot about the subject you have built.

There is nothing wrong with rtr but thought I would put a bit of a different point of view. Whether I would have done as much scratch building had there been propriety models available as good as now, is really a question I could not answer.

Derek

• Like 2

Some lovely piccies there Andy, far better than my efforts. Don’t agree about the Lambretta though. My little Lambie got me about in relative comfort and reliability. I could decoke it during my lunch hour at work, and I loved it.

Regarding rtr and scratch building. I have to admit, I could never build anything as good as the modern rtr locos. The problem is at shows, you see the same locomotives gracing layout after layout, with often very little variation except the degree of weathering.

Scratch building does take time but in the end you have something unique. Also when scratch building, you learn a lot about the subject you have built.

There is nothing wrong with rtr but thought I would put a bit of a different point of view. Whether I would have done as much scratch building had there been propriety models available as good as now, is really a question I could not answer.

Derek

A lot of us / me have lost the art of Kit / Scratch building, I have built a couple of White Metal Locos years ago, but today I feel life is to short, well mine nearly was, hahahah :no:  :no:  :no:  :sungum:

• Like 1

Ah yes, on the roof of the Queen's Building...

Train from Addlestone to Stains, and then the FREE BUS to the Queens Buildings, Viscount's, Vanguards, Comet's, Dakota's, Boeing's and Caravell's etc, great days.

• Like 3

Ah yes, on the roof of the Queen's Building...

Hi......you are making me cry.....those brilliantly innocent days when you could stand at the end of an airport runway, take pictures and just wander and not be under the watchful eye of the authorities....gone sadly forever....

Regards always...

Bob

After lunch, a Class 47, 47001 arrived all freshly painted up especially for the event, along with 08, 08489.

attachicon.gifRunning Session 024.JPG

attachicon.gifRunning Session 025.JPG

attachicon.gifRunning Session 026.JPG

attachicon.gifRunning Session 027.JPG

attachicon.gifRunning Session 028.JPG

attachicon.gifRunning Session 030.JPG

Then on the way home went via the Farm Track and got some more pics.

attachicon.gifRunning Session 062.JPG

attachicon.gifRunning Session 068.JPG

Back again tomorrow with more pics.

The point work in the top two pictures has just jumped out and hit me. It looks really good. What make are they ? Is it just the camera or are they large radius ?

So some pics of a very work worn and grubby Class 47, 47840 North Star.

attachicon.gifRunning Session 048.JPG

attachicon.gifRunning Session 050.JPG

attachicon.gifRunning Session 052.JPG

attachicon.gifRunning Session 051.JPG

attachicon.gifRunning Session 049.JPG

Back with more again soon.

Ah, North Star pretty much as I remember it at Paddington in the late 70's. There were some right dirty old heaps in and out of Paddington.on at that time, especially the Class 31's on ECS duties. Great pictures.

Hi......you are making me cry.....those brilliantly innocent days when you could stand at the end of an airport runway, take pictures and just wander and not be under the watchful eye of the authorities....gone sadly forever....

Regards always...

Bob

Aghh yes Bob, memories mate.

The point work in the top two pictures has just jumped out and hit me. It looks really good. What make are they ? Is it just the camera or are they large radius ?

Hi Jazzer, There Std Peco Long Code 100

• Like 1

Ah, North Star pretty much as I remember it at Paddington in the late 70's. There were some right dirty old heaps in and out of Paddington.on at that time, especially the Class 31's on ECS duties. Great pictures.

Yeah, I do like a grubby 47.

• RMweb Premium

Train from Addlestone to Stains, and then the FREE BUS to the Queens Buildings, Viscount's, Vanguards, Comet's, Dakota's, Boeing's and Caravell's etc, great days.

Absolutely! We might both have been there at the same time on occasions. For me, it was the 140 bus direct from Mill Hill Broadway. Later we graduated to Red Rovers and then Twin Rovers so we could explore the Underground as well. By then there were Tridents, Heralds, Friendships and all sorts of other species of Boeing too.

• Like 1

Absolutely! We might both have been there at the same time on occasions. For me, it was the 140 bus direct from Mill Hill Broadway. Later we graduated to Red Rovers and then Twin Rovers so we could explore the Underground as well. By then there were Tridents, Heralds, Friendships and all sorts of other species of Boeing too.

For me it would have been 1960 / 61, then we moved to Amp Shire.

Hi Jazzer, There Std Peco Long Code 100

Then they have been used to really good effect. I am trying to use peco large radius points as far as possible on the layout I am building because I have a bee in my bonnet about smaller radius not looking realistic, but quite honestly you have given me a target to aim for, and some ideas, so thanks for that. I would like to build my own points but at my snails pace it would take a couple of lifetimes just to get the track work done !

• RMweb Premium

For me it would have been 1960 / 61, then we moved to Amp Shire.

A bit before my time then. About 1964 would have been my first trip, with my dad. It wasn't until about 1966/7 that I was allowed to go unchaperoned with my school friends.

• Like 2

A bit before my time then. About 1964 would have been my first trip, with my dad. It wasn't until about 1966/7 that I was allowed to go unchaperoned with my school friends.

We moved down to Amp Shire in 62, and I started work in Sep 65, by 66 / 67 I'd taken up Bird Spotting, :O and NOT the feathered variety, :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  hahah

• Like 1

Nice series of pictures, keep them coming.......

I like your version of a War of the Worlds theme with that one eyed Martian ready to pounce at the end of the sidings!

Funnily enough I was playing War of the Worlds out there a little while ago, I've never looked at the lamp like that before.

There will be some more pickies next week, I have a busy few days coming up.

I find that after a day / couple of hours our there, I need to have a day or two's rest / change of interest.

Then they have been used to really good effect. I am trying to use peco large radius points as far as possible on the layout I am building because I have a bee in my bonnet about smaller radius not looking realistic, but quite honestly you have given me a target to aim for, and some ideas, so thanks for that. I would like to build my own points but at my snails pace it would take a couple of lifetimes just to get the track work done !

Morning Jazzer, I forgot to say that a couple of points are Peco Medium Y's, I like the Y points for some more realistic effects.

post-9335-0-37326500-1521188223_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-11164200-1521188258_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 18

We went back again later and my mate went down to Dore end and got some pics from over the Bridge, but no Trains came through,  he couldn't hang around, as there was a 33 due on Shed.

attachicon.gifRunning Session 070.JPG

We missed the arrival of the pristine Class 33, but managed to Bunk into the Yard to get some pics before being told to GO AWAY! :O 

attachicon.gifRunning Session 059.JPG

attachicon.gifRunning Session 040.JPG

attachicon.gifRunning Session 042.JPG

attachicon.gifRunning Session 060.JPG

There was also a 44 hiding inside the Shed.

attachicon.gifRunning Session 058.JPG

And another 08 on the Fuel Pumps.

attachicon.gifRunning Session 056.JPG

attachicon.gifRunning Session 054.JPG

attachicon.gifRunning Session 047.JPG

attachicon.gifRunning Session 039.JPG

We also got around to the back road and copped a very grubby 47, so pics of that later.

Looking good Andy.

We went back again later and my mate went down to Dore end and got some pics from over the Bridge, but no Trains came through,  he couldn't hang around, as there was a 33 due on Shed.

attachicon.gifRunning Session 070.JPG

We missed the arrival of the pristine Class 33, but managed to Bunk into the Yard to get some pics before being told to GO AWAY! :O 

attachicon.gifRunning Session 059.JPG

attachicon.gifRunning Session 040.JPG

attachicon.gifRunning Session 042.JPG

attachicon.gifRunning Session 060.JPG

There was also a 44 hiding inside the Shed.

attachicon.gifRunning Session 058.JPG

And another 08 on the Fuel Pumps.

attachicon.gifRunning Session 056.JPG

attachicon.gifRunning Session 054.JPG

attachicon.gifRunning Session 047.JPG

attachicon.gifRunning Session 039.JPG

We also got around to the back road and copped a very grubby 47, so pics of that later.

Hi Andy, what colours have you used for the concrete and tarmac sections?

Edited by marmand14
  • Like 1

Hi Andy, what colours have you used for the concrete and tarmac sections?

Hi Marmand14, It's a mix of Dulux tester pots, mainly Magnolia and light Grey in vairing amounts, the darker area is almost neat dark grey with Magnolia and light grey to give relief and highlights. Hope this helps.

All the best,