Kings Moreton, (1980's BR)

Andrew P

The only old DMU I've ever ridden on is at the GCR Loughborough, I'm not sure what model it is, but it certainly is a bone shaker.

Probably their green 2-car Metro-Camel (class101). But changing the emphasis entirely Andy (and apologies in advance for sort of hijacking your fantastic thread), have you seen this amazing video of the GWR (Gloucester Warwickshire Railway) extension to Broadway?

Surely a case for kettles  :jester:

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 4

Probably their green 2-car Metro-Camel (class101). But changing the emphasis entirely Andy (and apologies in advance for sort of hijacking your fantastic thread), have you seen this amazing video of the GWR (Gloucester Warwickshire Railway) extension to Broadway?

Surely a case for kettles  :jester:

Regards,

Brian.

Excellent Video Brian, think I might need a day out there one day.

Thanks for sharing that with us.

Excellent Video Brian, think I might need a day out there one day.

Thanks for sharing that with us.

Well when you do Andy ( it will be worth it. What they done there in recent years is fantastic. though I guess you will Waite for the desiel gala)

I will expect you to knock on my door as it’s just down the road from me

Dan

post-26751-0-16697900-1522619424_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

Well when you do Andy ( it will be worth it. What they done there in recent years is fantastic. though I guess you will Waite for the desiel gala)

I will expect you to knock on my door as it’s just down the road from me

Dan

Thanks Dan, I need to get a couple of mates from here to do the driving, but it would more than likely be a Steam Gala, as I don't care to much for Diesel Gala's for some strange reason.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well I have to say I agree with Clive it's a Derby lightweight although it could be a 110 but I think they had one piece windows, it's certainly not a met cam 101.

Regards Lez.Z.

OK Andy,since you asked,the GCR DMU is a 101 - never seen one in action,must try to(fat chance!!!).Only seen 107/108/117/122 in action.And to answer tigerburnie's question,that was THE Battery-Electric Multiple Unit.How did I know all this?Magazines and Wikipedia...

• Like 1

Well I have to say I agree with Clive it's a Derby lightweight although it could be a 110 but I think they had one piece windows, it's certainly not a met cam 101.

Regards Lez.Z.

OK Andy,since you asked,the GCR DMU is a 101 - never seen one in action,must try to(fat chance!!!).Only seen 107/108/117/122 in action.And to answer tigerburnie's question,that was THE Battery-Electric Multiple Unit.How did I know all this?Magazines and Wikipedia...

Well done lads it had plates on the chassis saying built in Derby and another talking about a battery conversion(whatever one of those is lol), I couldn't see where the coal and water went in it either :jester:

Cheers Guys for all the DMU Info.

The GWSR is probably one of the best days I've been on. Their festival was full of stuff to do, loads for the kids and plenty in Steam. Highly recommended. 

Excellent videos of' Broadway return'it really is a wonderful line must get down there again this year thanks for sharing  :sungum:

I must find out more about it, it looks a nice Railway.

I was gifted a fire and drive on the GWSR for my 60th some years ago. It was a wonderful experience particulatly as David Shepherd’s 9F had a boiler problem and it was substituted with City of Truro, with special permission from the NRM.

Paul

• Like 2

It is a Derby Lightweight or could be the Derby battery electric unit.

Regards Lez.Z.

This shot was taken in 2012 at Quorn and Woodhouse on the GCR...

post-1115-0-34027800-1522690169_thumb.jpg

...and IMHO is a Metro camel (class 101) dmu.  Does it belong to the GCR or was it on loan from elsewhere?

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 1

This shot was taken in 2012 at Quorn and Woodhouse on the GCR...

attachicon.gifImage1.jpg

...and IMHO is a Metro camel (class 101) dmu.  Does it belong to the GCR or was it on loan from elsewhere?

Regards,

Brian.

This isn't Mastermind, so I can't answer the question Brian, but it's still a cracking pic. Cheers mate.

• Like 1

Regards Lez.Z.

Definitely a Derby Lightweight, not a 110. You can tell the difference because the 110's had a smaller centre window with the destination blind built into the body, whereas the Lightweight had a centre window the same size as the outer ones and the destination blind was simply fitted behind the centre window, although it seems to have been removed from the one in the picture .Also the 110's had train reporting blind in a box above the cab , like most other dmu's but the lightweights had no reporting blinds, at least not as built.

With regard to the one piece windows you mention the Lightweight, I believe had one piece Windows as originally built but later batches had two piece Windows separated by a bar. The one in the picture there fore seems to be an early version.

I have boyhood memories of travelling to Market Rasen, Lincs which involved a Deby Lightweight from Grantham to Lincoln and another from Lincoln to Market Rasen. A curious thing on the Lincoln- Cleethorpes route (via Market Rasen) was that although they were usually 2x 2car units the set often included a power car with no trailer to make it a 3 or 5 car unit. I have never seen photographs of this arrangement and I have never heard of it on any other route. I do not know why this was, but it was definitely a relatively frequent occurrence, so there is a possibility for an unusual prototype.

Of course the Lighweights, although relatively attractive in dmu's terms were unreliable, and had no power for extra loads so it was a joy to see them replaced by a B14-6-0 + 3 Thompson suburbans+ 3 GUV's on occasions when extra freight space was needed. So there is another prototype for modellers. From memory I don't think I have ever seen a similar steam service replacing a failed dmu in a green diesel era layout. Interestingly the current edition of Steam World has photo of a steam service replacing a failed dmu. It gives a rare prototype opportunity to have a class 5 4-6-0 pulling a lightweight 3-coach load. Just a thought.

Thanks Guys for ALL the input regarding the DMU's etc, hopefully I will have a small running session tomorrow with Loco Hauled Stock. 

I also need to prepare some Sound Chips removed from Steamers to send off for re blowing for a 33, 44, 47 and the 108 DMU.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The DMU at the GC is a Metro Cammell Class 101. I know the guys who own it.

I suspect there’s some speaking at cross-purposes. The DMU in the earlier photo that started the conversation was in Aberdeenshire and is, as confirmed by Clive M, a Derby Lightweight.

Edited by brushman47544

Definitely a Derby Lightweight, not a 110. You can tell the difference because the 110's had a smaller centre window with the destination blind built into the body, whereas the Lightweight had a centre window the same size as the outer ones and the destination blind was simply fitted behind the centre window, although it seems to have been removed from the one in the picture .Also the 110's had train reporting blind in a box above the cab , like most other dmu's but the lightweights had no reporting blinds, at least not as built.

With regard to the one piece windows you mention the Lightweight, I believe had one piece Windows as originally built but later batches had two piece Windows separated by a bar. The one in the picture there fore seems to be an early version.

I have boyhood memories of travelling to Market Rasen, Lincs which involved a Deby Lightweight from Grantham to Lincoln and another from Lincoln to Market Rasen. A curious thing on the Lincoln- Cleethorpes route (via Market Rasen) was that although they were usually 2x 2car units the set often included a power car with no trailer to make it a 3 or 5 car unit. I have never seen photographs of this arrangement and I have never heard of it on any other route. I do not know why this was, but it was definitely a relatively frequent occurrence, so there is a possibility for an unusual prototype.

Of course the Lighweights, although relatively attractive in dmu's terms were unreliable, and had no power for extra loads so it was a joy to see them replaced by a B14-6-0 + 3 Thompson suburbans+ 3 GUV's on occasions when extra freight space was needed. So there is another prototype for modellers. From memory I don't think I have ever seen a similar steam service replacing a failed dmu in a green diesel era layout. Interestingly the current edition of Steam World has photo of a steam service replacing a failed dmu. It gives a rare prototype opportunity to have a class 5 4-6-0 pulling a lightweight 3-coach load. Just a thought.

Hallo,

From the photos this is the Royal Deeside Railway, and they bought back the Battery Railcar Unit (ex Lightweight) which ran on the line before it was closed.

http://www.deeside-railway.co.uk/servicesdir/line.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_BEMU

es grüßt

pc