Kings Moreton, (1980's BR)

Andrew P

Cheers Al, 

Not sure about Masons Meadow, (the Cow Field), it doesn't look right somehow.

I think I know whats wrong with the Meadow, the Cows are FAR to clean, and it also needs some other life / Still Life, in the Field, possibly in the form of an old dead Tractor or something like that.

• Like 1

I think I know whats wrong with the Meadow, the Cows are FAR to clean, and it also needs some other life / Still Life, in the Field, possibly in the form of an old dead Tractor or something like that.

How about a feeding trough and an old dilapidated cow shed.....

Wet muddy puddles and long weeds to perimeter....

• Like 3

I suspect the cows are also a bit too large. In the small space availablre they are dominent and emphasise that this is only a corner of the field.

Why not try a small flock of sheep instead, they could be grouped more tightly, and leave a feeling of space around them?

I'm sure you'll find the right solution.

TONY

• Like 3

How about a feeding trough and an old dilapidated cow shed.....

Wet muddy puddles and long weeds to perimeter....

I suspect the cows are also a bit too large. In the small space availablre they are dominent and emphasise that this is only a corner of the field.

Why not try a small flock of sheep instead, they could be grouped more tightly, and leave a feeling of space around them?

I'm sure you'll find the right solution.

TONY

Thanks Kevin and Tony, some really good suggestions, I will do the Muddy Puddles and a small Shelter, and I will try some Sheep and leave the Cows for a larger Field later on. 

Cheers Guys.

• Like 2

Andy, I just pour my varnish and let it settle.One gets a nice depth that way.

Of course, you have to ensure it can't leak out.

Andy, I hope you do not mind me posting this.

attachicon.gifIMG_0021-1.jpg

Of course I don't mind John, good info and a super picture. I will have to have a look and see if that is possible on my Canal, it's open boards at each end, i.e. front and back and I didn't really want an edging along the front if I can help it.

It's had two coats today already so another before bed later, and I'm away all day tomorrow, so start again tomorrow evening.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3

Cheers Rich, It was a nice day for working outside, I wish the whole Layout could be taken out is stages, still at least it was nice whilst it lasted, it'll probably rain tomorrow. hahhah :no:  :no:

Why don't you just take the roof off the shed. Simples :)

Pictures look stunning - never fail to be impressed by how much you can achieve in such a short time!!

Great scenic work Andy especially the canal bit.

Don

Thanks Don, I do like water features, and the Canal or River was a must somewhere, it's worked out better than I first thought it would luckily.

Why don't you just take the roof off the shed. Simples :)

Pictures look stunning - never fail to be impressed by how much you can achieve in such a short time!!

Thanks Martyn, and your ideas not so silly, our friend Jeff / Physicsmann has a Shed with a sliding roof for his Telescope, it looks stunning.

Post #2203 and 2213

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/98846-lunester-lounge-2017-for-any-topic-you-wish-to-discuss/page-89&do=findComment&comment=2756741

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

Watching with interest, as I'm going to have to tackle the canal on Cromford soon, interesting to see both yours and John's approaches, not sure what to do yet.

Al.

Edited by acg_mr
  • Like 2

Watching with interest, as I'm going to have to tackle the canal on Cromford soon, interesting to see both your's and John's approaches, not sure what to do yet.

Al.

There is a third approach (no doubt many other ways as well) and that is a sheet Perspex with the underside painted!

If you want a ripple on the surface then just stipple some PVA on the top......

• RMweb Premium

Andy

Not that I know a lot about scenery but if you're worried about the cows why not substitute one or two horses. They're a similar size but you do tend to see fewer of them in a field.

• Like 1

Andy

Not that I know a lot about scenery but if you're worried about the cows why not substitute one or two horses. They're a similar size but you do tend to see fewer of them in a field.

Cheers Ray, yes another very good idea.

Cheers,

• Like 1

There is a third approach (no doubt many other ways as well) and that is a sheet Perspex with the underside painted!

If you want a ripple on the surface then just stipple some PVA on the top......

Funnily enough, that is one thing I thought of, bought the 2 mm clear perspex. and then ruled it out as it looked wrong to me.

Watching with interest, as I'm going to have to tackle the canal on Cromford soon, interesting to see both yours and John's approaches, not sure what to do yet.

Al.

Thanks Al, I'm learning by the day TBH mate, should be fun.

• RMweb Premium

Andy

Following on from your reply regarding lighting I thought I would mention what I use.

AY was very impressed with the lighting levels it gave with little if any shadows.

Originally I used a traditional strip light but this cast various shadows.

I replaced it, with what I know as Cat 2 fluorescent light, the reflector has many curved sections built in so breaks up the beam of light into many angles.

So laying on the floor I took this picture of my ceiling light, it's 6ft long with two 70w tubes in

attachicon.gifIMG_3074.JPG

This is my light I use when working on the layout

I also have pelmet lighting using seven T4 20w 625mm long strip lights linked together for the layout itself.

attachicon.gifIMG_3076.JPG

Hope this is of use

How come we have never seen that tank on Little Muddle?

Back to Kings Moreton - one of the things that struck me driving around on my recent UK trip was just how many cows were often in the same field.  I actually said to the kids I have to buy more cows for my layout as the number on my layout looked positively Spartan by comparison with the real thing.  But then again I did not see large numbers congregating near a railway line.

• Like 1

Just two questions on the subject of cows. Have they always been farmed in the same density for the field area? and, Is it different in different parts of the country?

I honestly don't know the answers.

• Like 1

Just two questions on the subject of cows. Have they always been farmed in the same density for the field area? and, Is it different in different parts of the country?

I honestly don't know the answers.

Good question Duncan, we have one Farmer locally who seems to have a very large Herd of possibly 60 plus that are always in the same size fields.

Edited by Andrew P

Well after Lunch I did manage to paint the Rails and lay the Ballast, It's still wet in the pics, but you get the idea.

attachicon.gifCanal 7 001.JPG

attachicon.gifCanal 7 002.JPG

attachicon.gifCanal 7 003.JPG

attachicon.gifCanal 7 004.JPG

I might even have a running session later.

I know it's been said before, however the quality of the scenery and especially the backscenes that you put on is IMHO some of the best I have ever seen.

Need to watch this more closely, have been gone for 3-4 days and already there are another 4 pages! 

Great work, and I look forward to seeing more.

Peter

I think we had a discussion about cows on Penthingy. Now Mr P with his artistic skills could make them plastic cattle look a lot better.

Cheers Clive, yes we had discussions about Cows before, so now they have been moved to Pastures new so they can't be talked about anymore, and I have plans for the Meadow which will be revealed very soon.

Edited by Andrew P