Kings Moreton, (1980's BR)

Andrew P

And what did you do after lunch?

In the last pictures is there room to turn the house 90 degrees (or whatever goes there!) so it is flush with the profile board then you can model a front and back garden?   Just a thought.

I think I have found you're missing pictorial it's hanging on the bracket of this pub......

Looks good.

Thanks Kevin, I've been out there most of the day to be honest, it's not a 5 minute job, hahah

Re the Pub, well it's very tight at 90 degrees, but just doable. I may set it further back from the Canal and slope the front down to the Tow Path.

This morning I decided to make a start on the Oxford Canal Section.

Firstly I removed the backscene and cut out the area for the Canal, and cut and painted the Canal base. This will have several coats of Varnish later.

attachicon.gifCanal 1 002.JPG

I then made up the side walls, the right hand side will have a Tow Path later.

attachicon.gifCanal 1 005.JPG

I then made the embankment from Dore Lane Bridge

attachicon.gifCanal 1 006.JPG

attachicon.gifCanal 1 008.JPG

Next I made a start on the Backscene.

attachicon.gifCanal 1 009.JPG

attachicon.gifCanal 1 013.JPG

attachicon.gifCanal 1 017.JPG

Then some Green Gloss paint as a base colour ready for the Grass.

attachicon.gifCanal 1 023.JPG

attachicon.gifCanal 1 025.JPG

attachicon.gifCanal 1 027.JPG

I can go off people very rapidly :jester:

Seriously though, another masterpiece.

• Like 1

Thanks George, Al, Alan, Dan and Duncan, still loads to do over the coming Months, but a little now and then and it all comes together.

Not sure if I'm in the Shed or not today at the moment, it's the Club tonight, and I'm out all day tomorrow, Wife's Birthday Thursday, so probably out for Lunch, and going to The Patchings, an Art Festival in Nottingham on Friday, so a very busy week ahead.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I reckon if you had taken me up on my offer you would have built a layout in the hold of the plane by the time we landed in Brisbane.

You really do not muck around.  Great stuff!

I reckon if you had taken me up on my offer you would have built a layout in the hold of the plane by the time we landed in Brisbane.

You really do not muck around.  Great stuff!

Cheers Bogie, although not quite sure how I'd manage to throw the rubbish out in mid flight. hahah

That looks better.

How wide do you envisage the actual canal itself will be?

Have the makings of a nice beer garden leading down to the canal.

Thanks Kevin, Once the Tow Path is in, the actual Canal will be about 3 inch's wide under the Bridge.

Yes the Beer Garden sounds like a nice idea, although people didn't frequent Pubs for Lunches and Beer Gardens until just a few years ago, I'm not sure there were many about before the 90's. Not being a Pub goer or Drinker, I really cant remember when they first became the norm, perhaps someone can enlighten me please.

Edited by Andrew P

Thanks Kevin, Once the Tow Path is in, the actual Canal will be about 3 inch's wide under the Bridge.

Yes the Beer Garden sounds like a nice idea, although people didn't frequent Pubs for Lunches and Beer Gardens until just a few years ago, I'm not sure there were many about before the 90's. Not being a Pub goer or Drinker, I really cant remember when they first became the norm, perhaps someone can enlighten me please.

I can confirm there where beer gardens around in that era.

From the mid 1980's I worked for Wethered at Marlow (part of Whitbread's then empire) mainly maintaining and upgrading public houses and there were may in use at that time with more and more being formed, especially if they had something interesting to look out.

Plus the landlord would wont to get the passing trade from the canal as well so a small mooring wall along the towpath with a gate leading from it up into the beer garden wouldn't look out of place. Nor a pub sign and noticeboard either.

I was also responsible for designing and installing the signs for a PH so I'm talking from former knowledge here. 

I can see it now a canal boat moored up, people sitting on the roof with a tray of drinks from the pub, groups of people sitting in the sun in the garden eating there lunch under a patio umbrella.........brings back memories

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Village pubs with beer gardens - well tables outside - that may or may not go down to a nearby river bank certainly existed in the 80s and even before. Much rarer in urban areas then, I suspect.

This afternoon the Tow Path was cut to shape, a walling put around and then covered in PVA and then Beach Sand.

post-9335-0-00315900-1499783981_thumb.jpg

It was then fitted in position and the Bollards added. it's now drying.

post-9335-0-56510400-1499784088_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-09434200-1499784119_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-94185200-1499784149_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Ooh, look at 'im modelling with plasticard!

You can pack that in Peters, or I'll 'ave the union on yer. :nono: :nono:

Nice job mate, looks good. :locomotive:

Al

You don't want to now how many attempts it took to cut that bit strait, hahhaha. :O  :no:  :no:

• Like 1

Andy your latest creation is a very evocative scene that could be set virtually anywhere in the country but not often modelled in such a convincing way and the amazing part about it is that it is on a fill in across the doorway ......great modelling matey. I can just imagine the trains emerging from beneath the road over bridge followed by the rumble across the canal bridge... brilliant Andy well done a good days work me thinks  :sungum:

Andy your latest creation is a very evocative scene that could be set virtually anywhere in the country but not often modelled in such a convincing way and the amazing part about it is that it is on a fill in across the doorway ......great modelling matey. I can just imagine the trains emerging from beneath the road over bridge followed by the rumble across the canal bridge... brilliant Andy well done a good days work me thinks  :sungum:

Thanks Martin, the door section was always going to be a puzzle as to what would work. I also needed to find a home for the Canal, so it's turned out to be a double bonus for me. 

Just beyond the Rail Bridge is the Canal's Dore Locks, (door lock, :O   get it,   :no:  :no:  the lock in the door! :scared:  :scared:  :scared: ), but unfortunately I don't have room to model the Dore Locks. :nono:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1