Kings Moreton, (1980's BR)

Andrew P

This morning I decided to try a new product I bought on Wednesday, it's Woodlands Scenics Blended Turf, T49, (plus some Earth and Green powders as well). To say I'm not impressed so far would be an understatement. Laid on a neat coating of PVA it still hasn't gone off, and looks awful at the moment, once dry, I will re assess it, but the likelihood is, that it will be covered in Static Grass. I just wanted a Field that was different to the others, but it doesn't seem to have worked.

attachicon.gifFields 2 003 - Copy.JPG

Funny but in this picture it looks OK.

T49 is the one I use most of for my trees, so don't get rid of it as you can use on your trees?

Funny but in this picture it looks OK.

T49 is the one I use most of for my trees, so don't get rid of it as you can use on your trees?

Hey Kevin, I hadn't realised that, that's great news, thanks.

• Like 1

Thanks Andy, really enjoyed the video, will give it a go!

Best wishes

Nige

You won't regret it Nige, and as I think I may have said in the Video, if you BODGE it, just re do it, as I will with the Dark Green Field tomorrow, hahhah.

Before going to the Club this evening to paint a Road on the New Thomas Layout for our Mince Pie event in December, I had a little play with an idea that's been circulating in the old grey matter for a couple of days.

If it works, and I hope it does, I'll post some pics up tomorrow.

Good name, how can "Scaly Back" be a good name. :nono:

Mr P if you want to be in my good books regarding regimental names go for Patriot 45528 "R.E.M.E." I am sure Duncan (Emt 911) will fully agree. :sungum:

:offtopic: not had a loco named REME for a while though?

Royal Signals on the other hand......... :locomotive:

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

What or Where is your "TOPS"? Also please pass on my best wishes to John F if you are in direct contact with him.

Colin

Andy must still be in TOPS - The Old Potting Shed. It's where he keeps his model railway and assorted bits and pieces.

Hi Andy,

What or Where is your "TOPS"? Also please pass on my best wishes to John F if you are in direct contact with him.

Colin

Andy must still be in TOPS - The Old Potting Shed. It's where he keeps his model railway and assorted bits and pieces.

Hi Colin and Jonathan, Yes Jonathan is right, TOPS is The Old Potting Shed, but was never used as one, as it was purpose built for the Railway when we moved here, and is just outside the Conservatory, so nice and easy to get to.

Just as an add on Jonathan, unfortunately I haven't been in TOPS much today, as I had a call this morning to say that my Mum had had a fall, and the Ambulance was on it's way. Luckily she was o.k. just a little shaken, (but NOT stirred), so I brought he back here for the day. 

She is now back home so I will be in TOPS later whist the Good Lady watches her soaps.

Andy agree with you about static grass I find it a most satisfying activity to watch as it covers plus getting the grass mix right adds to the pleasure.Like the embankment gives a good look to the layout.  Chris

Hi Chris, thanks, yes, I am pleased with the embankment, it's now better than I imagined it would be, but still some more weeds to add later, once the top Fields and all the Fencing is finished.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about Mum Andy it's a horrid thing that,  I remember how I felt with my Mum , she had several falls even when I was staying with her and it does shake them up a bit. bless her hope she is ok. There sure do know how to get their own back on us youngsters don't they ..... pay back time for all the times we've had them worried I reckon   :no:  

• RMweb Gold

That looks really good Andy.

Might I suggest the fence up by the farm track if you can. Fences were generally along the boundary of the land the railway had to purchase, so normally at the bottom of an railway embankment and at the top of a cutting. Try to imagine where the original land levels changed to get the flat formation in and put the fence there. I think it will work with what you have done thus far.

Paul.

Now that's the cats whiskers makes it very prototypical like the way the track takes your eye away from you ,all you need now are prototypical cattle to satisfy a certain poster! Chris

Thanks Chris, the Track will disappear into and behind some Trees eventually,  

I will need some more Cattle, but I've just splashed out on 50 Sheep, so the extra Cattle will have to wait a while.

• Like 3

That looks really good Andy.

Might I suggest the fence up by the farm track if you can. Fences were generally along the boundary of the land the railway had to purchase, so normally at the bottom of an railway embankment and at the top of a cutting. Try to imagine where the original land levels changed to get the flat formation in and put the fence there. I think it will work with what you have done thus far.

Paul.

Hi Paul, Thanks for that, the Fence will go along the top of the Embankment above the Lamp Hut and Signal Box, as that would have been Land owned by the Railway, and maintained as required.

The Tight Ar*e Farmer would NOT have added his own Fence along that side of his Track. hahhah :no:  :no:

• Like 1

Hi All well after a mixed day, I decided to spend the evening in TOPS.

I hinted the other day, that I had a plan, and wouldn't show any pics until I was sure it would work and more importantly look good, so now I can reveal my cunning Plan.

I've decided on a Farmers Track to his Fields.

It started with a mix of PVA and Masking Tape

attachicon.gifFields 3 001.JPG

I then added some gravel.

attachicon.gifFields 3 002.JPG

attachicon.gifFields 3 003.JPG

attachicon.gifFields 3 004.JPG

attachicon.gifFields 3 010.JPG

attachicon.gifFields 3 011.JPG

attachicon.gifFields 3 012.JPG

attachicon.gifFields 3 013.JPG

attachicon.gifFields 3 014.JPG

attachicon.gifFields 3 015.JPG

There will now be a GWR Wire and Post Fence along the bottom of the Track.

The bobby will be able to use that track to get to the box too

Edited by ess1uk
  • Like 2

With a busy day ahead of me, I made an early start in TOPS, and did a little more to the Fields and Embankment. 

Although the latest Field looks a little bright, it's a mix of 2 mm Spring Grass, Winter Grass and Patchy Grass, depending on how it dries, it may well need another coat of Patchy Grass later.

Hi Andy,

Pardon a really dumb beginner's question but I noticed that even with the luxury you have of a long sweeping run of multi track the spacing between your track runs is much more than on a standard mainline:

post-26975-0-92974000-1503116918_thumb.jpg

Is this because of visual artifacts from the scaling, i.e. trains or track just look too close together at correct spacing? This really came home to me when building a RR Xing to suit Hornby 2nd and 3rd Rads where spacing is horrendously non-prototypical at 3x rail gauge vs the 1.4x or thereabouts in photo above

Colin