Kings Moreton, (1980's BR)

Andrew P

I have found the same with other decoders, though more usually simple coasting without the clanking, a nudge in the speed control now and then gives the impression that the loco is indeed being driven. I can only do this on a rolling road at the moment, my layout being a bit on the short side.

One sound chip, for the exLNWR 0-8-0s, could be bought with or without clanking but I can't remember which brand offered it. Perhaps it was Howes?

Paul

• Like 1

I have found the same with other decoders, though more usually simple coasting without the clanking, a nudge in the speed control now and then gives the impression that the loco is indeed being driven. I can only do this on a rolling road at the moment, my layout being a bit on the short side.

One sound chip, for the exLNWR 0-8-0s, could be bought with or without clanking but I can't remember which brand offered it. Perhaps it was Howes?

Paul

Morning Paul, I'm with Howes for all my Steam stuff now, apart from Factory fitted, and I do like them, so until I hear something different, up close and personal then I will stick to them.  

A couple of years back I had a 3F and Super D from Locolines in Essex, and they were nice.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 7

That long drag with the G2A was something I saw and heard once in the Tamworth area, but not on the Trent Valley Line!  They were usually confined to the goods only lines around Walsall.  I think there are more pictures of the rare occasion when a G2A pulled an SLS special in and out of New Street than of them doing their real job!

The Locolines sounds are good, too, the chuffs on the G2a sound just right to me (and my fifty year old memory!)

Last time I looked at Howes they didn't have much Western stuff, now a Castle and a Pannier are on the list.  I like the fact that they can re-blow their sounds onto an older chip.

• Like 2

That long drag with the G2A was something I saw and heard once in the Tamworth area, but not on the Trent Valley Line!  They were usually confined to the goods only lines around Walsall.  I think there are more pictures of the rare occasion when a G2A pulled an SLS special in and out of New Street than of them doing their real job!

The Locolines sounds are good, too, the chuffs on the G2a sound just right to me (and my fifty year old memory!)

Last time I looked at Howes they didn't have much Western stuff, now a Castle and a Pannier are on the list.  I like the fact that they can re-blow their sounds onto an older chip.

Yes Paul,  when I had O Gauge, my Pannier and Ivatt 2MT Sound they were from SWD. Howes recently re blew a couple of my un used Sounds with no issues.

I did like the panting and wheezing of the Super D, having never heard any real Loco's at work other than on preserved lines.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

I rather suspect all the sound producers can re-blow decoders.  I have never considered Howes steam sounds as they never show up well on layouts uploaded to YouTube . It might be that folk do not know how to alter the CV's. Andy's clanking BR 4 4-6-0 sounded impressive, but I would like to hear the whole range from the starting off exhaust to the secondary exhaust to coasting and stopping. I have just such a model awaiting sound.

In steam days, there was no mistaking a Super D with its 2-beat exhaust. They started off on 4-beat and then settled down to the familiar sound once on the move even after shopping. Pete Waterman reckons it was down to the Joy valvegear and so I was hoping the Coal Tank sounded the same, but the preserved one at Keighley retails 4-beat throughout its speed range. 

Edited by coachmann

I rather suspect all the sound producers can re-blow decoders.  I have never considered Howes steam sounds as they never show up well on layouts uploaded to YouTube . It might be that folk do not know how to alter the CV's. Andy's clanking BR 4 4-6-0 sounded impressive, but I would like to hear the whole range from the starting off exhaust to the secondary exhaust to coasting and stopping. I have just such a model awaiting sound.

The Clanking was from the 9F Larry, but here's a Video that I think I may have put on one of your threads some time ago, but for the benefit of those that haven't seen it, here it is again.

• Like 2

There is a good reason for not hardwiring a decoder to a locomotive, but install an 8 pin socket instead.  Several of my older non-DCC ready 4mm locos had sound by Olivia's Trains.  I then heard that their sounds were upgraded but I didn't trust sending several locos to Sheffield for re-blowing so they still have the older sounds which were pretty much generic and a long way off today's quality.

Edited by Focalplane

There is a good reason for not hardwiring a decoder to a locomotive, but install an 8 pin socket instead.  Several of my older non-DCC ready 4mm locos had sound by Olivia's Trains.  I then heard that their sounds were upgraded but I didn't trust sending several locos to Sheffield for re-blowing so they still have the older sounds which were pretty much generic and a long way off today's quality.

I tried an A4 with Olivias Sound for a friend, and IMHO it wasn't that good. I went there with a mate once to get his Hornby Sound 08 re blown, and we asked to hear one, at first the chap said; there no need, our's is right, but eventually he put one on a Track and again IMHO it wasn't as good as the Hornby Sound. With the Hornby one, it has Function 8, notch up and down, but Olivis didn't have that, and the Guy in a very arrogant voice said, there's no need, it only a shunter. We walked out of the door.

Edited by Andrew P

Hi Andy.

I have had bad experience with Olivia's there stainer sound, sounds like all the other locos they do. It don't sound like strainer. I have had all mine reblone because I wasn't happy with them.

I had to fit a chip to my kit loco, did it without any problems ran it for a few weeks then the chip failed and when I told him he blamed me and said I hadn't fitted it right and wouldn't replace it until I proved he was in the wrong.

He is a bit arrogant but I thought it was because he wouldn't replace the chip.

Sorry Andy for going off topic.

Mark

• Like 1

Hi Andy.

I have had bad experience with Olivia's there stainer sound, sounds like all the other locos they do. It don't sound like strainer. I have had all mine reblone because I wasn't happy with them.

I had to fit a chip to my kit loco, did it without any problems ran it for a few weeks then the chip failed and when I told him he blamed me and said I hadn't fitted it right and wouldn't replace it until I proved he was in the wrong.

He is a bit arrogant but I thought it was because he wouldn't replace the chip.

Sorry Andy for going off topic.

Mark

Olivias make a every other shop in the country look like discount box shifters. 

Cheers Guys, glad it wasn't just me, better leave any more comments for the Olivias Thread now. 

Thanks all.

• RMweb Gold

Olivias make a every other shop in the country look like discount box shifters.

Until you want something all the box shifters have shifted! It's a different business model but probably works.

Paul.

Point Rodding Pt 1. Yes its VERY basic, but it will at least give a representation of some sort of Rodding, there will be a cover over where they enter the Box.

post-9335-0-28852100-1503946313_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-18528900-1503946333_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-76630400-1503946351_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-31632000-1503946369_thumb.jpg

Bodged by Bodgit.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 18

Hi Andy 

I saw the thread title change, I can't find the panic smiley thingy ......PANIC PANIC 

Actually I think your bodge will look scenically OK. 

Thanks Clive, The Mighty Bodgit strikes again, hahahha :sungum:

• Like 2

It's a fixed Distant, but Mike says it need a Cable to the Box so the Bobby can put the Lamp on. That's a job for another day.

By that I assume then it's powered then by electricity and not oil?

By that I assume then it's powered then by electricity and not oil?

That's a good point, when I asked Mike he just said it would need a Cable to the Box, so I assumed it would be for Electric, I would imaging it would have been Electric by the 1960's.

That's a good point, when I asked Mike he just said it would need a Cable to the Box, so I assumed it would be for Electric, I would imaging it would have been Electric by the 1960's.

For some reason I have in the back of mind that many signals remained oil for some time especially if there was no electrical supply/cabling running by.

It was cheaper to keep as oil.

Trouble is, I can't remember where I read it!!!!

Edited by KNP

For some reason I have in the back of mind that many signals remained oil for some time especially if there was no electrical supply/cabling running by.

It was cheaper to keep as oil.

Trouble is, I can't remember where I read it!!!!

Well I ain't climbing the ruddy ladder every night and morning, so it has to be lecified. hahah :O  :nono:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

Well I ain't climbing the ruddy ladder every night and morning, so it has to be lecified. hahah :O  :nono:

No, it'll only be every 7 days as I understand that is how long they lasted so not as bad as you first thought.......

I've now found an article that says the Western Region didn't start changing the oil lamps on signals until the late 80's early 90's due to the unreliability of electric!

Surprising hey...