Kings Moreton, (1980's BR)

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike, So if I read this right, (and I'm no good at reading instructions) I should put the Junction Signal here.

attachicon.gifCanal Pub 1 006 - Copy.JPG

And the Distance Signal for the Outer Home here, before the Junction

attachicon.gifCutting to Dore Lane 1 006.JPG

Would there then be a normal Stop / Go /  Red Signal at the end of the Dore End Platform (where the Junction one is now) to protect the Level Crossing?

Yes, yes, yes  (the latter isn't strictly right in the real Western world because of the short distance involved between the two signals) but I think scenically you'd could get away with it and make it look good and we are in any case compressing distances.  So go for it.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Andy,

Is the pole nearest the bridge fixed in concrete yet? Think about there the wires would go and how a bus or truck would get across the bridge.

First option is to move the pole up to the bridge so that it is higher, with another pole immediately the other side of the bridge before descending to track level again. Second option is to say that the route was cabled under the bridge so that high sided vehicles were not obstructed, but then you would need a stay wire in line with the route to stop the pole being pulled over. Third option is to say "stop being so pedantic . . ."!

Paul.

That was my reaction straight away the poles should be sited to give a clear span of about 18ft  above the road and as the wires will dip in the span the bottom arm should be about 20ft above  the road at minimum. I wouldn't consider it pedantic when Andy feels the irresistible urge to put a double decker on the bridge it would be obvious. :nono:  

A similar thing occurs on country roads where the rail crosses over a road with a GPO route along the road.

I like Mike's Lampie. Lampmen would have a specific set of lamps to manage. It would take a week to get round them all when he would start again. The empty lamps collected on a Monday would be refilled ready to put out on Tuesday etc. I doubt if he would have many spares

Don 

Yes, yes, yes  (the latter isn't strictly right in the real Western world because of the short distance involved between the two signals) but I think scenically you'd could get away with it and make it look good and we are in any case compressing distances.  So go for it.

And so it will be done, really appreciate your help and guidance with this one Mike.

One last request please, do you have any pics of the sort of Box that would go next / near to the Fixed Distant Signal, OR would the fact that it will now be near to Dore End Box mean that would be used by the Lampie?

Edited by Andrew P

That was my reaction straight away the poles should be sited to give a clear span of about 18ft  above the road and as the wires will dip in the span the bottom arm should be about 20ft above  the road at minimum. I wouldn't consider it pedantic when Andy feels the irresistible urge to put a double decker on the bridge it would be obvious. :nono:

A similar thing occurs on country roads where the rail crosses over a road with a GPO route along the road.

I like Mike's Lampie. Lampmen would have a specific set of lamps to manage. It would take a week to get round them all when he would start again. The empty lamps collected on a Monday would be refilled ready to put out on Tuesday etc. I doubt if he would have many spares

Don 

Thanks Don, this is how envisaged the wires would run, i.e. up to the Road, then along, or are Railway Wires separate?

post-9335-0-92806700-1504109116_thumb.jpg

EDIT = SEE POST BELOW, this is not now possible, there is a Signal in the way.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

Personally I think the railways wires would look better routed under the bridge. As in fixed to the top of the support wall, regaining the poles on the other side.

That may or MAY NOT be an option after you've seen my next Post Tony. :O  :no:  :no:  :no:

• RMweb Premium

So the PW Teams have been out this evening, and moved some Signals around a little.  CHEERS MIKE.

The Distant by the Bridge has been straightend up.

attachicon.gifSignals Repositioned 001.JPG

attachicon.gifSignals Repositioned 002.JPG

attachicon.gifSignals Repositioned 003.JPG

attachicon.gifSignals Repositioned 004.JPG

attachicon.gifSignals Repositioned 005.JPG

attachicon.gifSignals Repositioned 006.JPG

attachicon.gifSignals Repositioned 007.JPG

attachicon.gifSignals Repositioned 008.JPG

Very nice Andy. I'm going to be somewhat pedantic though and suggest that the Distant should be a worked distant, not fixed. It would be pulled off if all the main line stop signals were off. You could use the fixed distant on the Much Dithering branch later.

Very nice Andy. I'm going to be somewhat pedantic though and suggest that the Distant should be a worked distant, not fixed. It would be pulled off if all the main line stop signals were off. You could use the fixed distant on the Much Dithering branch later.

Thanks very much for your comments, but Mike (The Stationmaster) say's it should be a Fixed Distant in that position, so I'll leave things as they are now.  MD will only have the Starter as that is all there is room for.

Appreciate you input mate.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Don, this is how envisaged the wires would run, i.e. up to the Road, then along, or are Railway Wires separate?

attachicon.gifTelegraph Poles 1 (3).JPG

EDIT = SEE POST BELOW, this is not now possible, there is a Signal in the way.

Railway and GPO routes of poles would have been separate. The GPO routes normally run alongside the roads although there can be poles on a feed to a farm or a large house. There would be a feed to the local station to provide a local telephone service (and usually a telephone box for public use at the station). 

Railway pole routes would run alongside the railway lines ideally poles would be placed on railway land to avoid the need for way-leaves. These routes would carry internal railway phone lines as well as signalling wires such as the block circuit lines. 

Looking at the scene I think cabling under the bridge may be more likely. Had there been a long rise cutting bank up to the bridge the poles would have followed up the bank but because of the canal it would be a sudden sharp rise to get up and over the road. However you cannot say it couldn't have been done as you show. 

Don

Railway and GPO routes of poles would have been separate. The GPO routes normally run alongside the roads although there can be poles on a feed to a farm or a large house. There would be a feed to the local station to provide a local telephone service (and usually a telephone box for public use at the station). 

Railway pole routes would run alongside the railway lines ideally poles would be placed on railway land to avoid the need for way-leaves. These routes would carry internal railway phone lines as well as signalling wires such as the block circuit lines. 

Looking at the scene I think cabling under the bridge may be more likely. Had there been a long rise cutting bank up to the bridge the poles would have followed up the bank but because of the canal it would be a sudden sharp rise to get up and over the road. However you cannot say it couldn't have been done as you show. 

Don

Morning Don, I hadn't realised the two Lines were totally separate, this now makes things much easier, I can bring the wires down from the Pole in front of the Junction Signal and along under the Bridge.

post-9335-0-02479800-1504165116_thumb.jpg

EDIT = IGNORE AND SEE Post # 1836

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 5

Morning Don, I hadn't realised the two Lines were totally separate, this now makes things much easier, I can bring the wires down from the Pole in front of the Junction Signal and along under the Bridge.

attachicon.gifSignals Repositioned 008 - Copy.JPG

Like the idea for the wires but would they have run down the pole to ground level?

Love the positioning of the bracket signal as it seems to set that area off and was almost the missing link that was needed for completeness.

It sort compliments the scene......

• Like 1

With the Ratio Junction Signal in it's New position, I can work the arms from below in a prototypical fashion, but I may look at motorising them at some stage, something I couldn't do at Dore End.

post-9335-0-73897300-1504167177_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-24483900-1504167188_thumb.jpg

The new Dore End Stater Signal is a Dapol so that can be made working now as well.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 8

Like the idea for the wires but would they have run down the pole to ground level?

Love the positioning of the bracket signal as it seems to set that area off and was almost the missing link that was needed for completeness.

It sort compliments the scene......

Thanks for the info on the Telegraph Wires Kevin,  that will be easier, and neater to accomplish later on.

I agree about the positioning of the Signal now, so much better, and yes, it finishes the area off nicely.

You are going to do the wires between the poles?!!

You are certainly taking this to a whole new level.

Thanks Bogie, I'm unlikely to do wires between the Telegraph Poles, a mate has done it on his Layout, and TBH it looks way over scale, so I'll leave it I think.