Where is the standard Q class locomotive?

Guest FairwayJunction

Guest FairwayJunction
I'm modelling Midhurst and a locomotive that appeared quite often on the line was the standard Q class, I say "standard" because there is the Q1. I think Hornby should produce the Q class locomotive because they have already done the LMS class 4f which is very similar.

How hard would it be for them to make the locomotive and could anyone tell me the differences between the two, thanks.

• RMweb Premium

The ever useful SEMG site is a good first port of call:

Q:

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/qclass_01.html

Q1:

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/q1_01.html

Other than the fact they were both 0-6-0 (primarily) freight locos and Southern Railway, they were very different beasts in appearance, indeed the Q1 was unique due to its spartan wartime materials shortage design.  Looked odd but a blooming good loco!!

With the Q on the Bluebell now back in full working order I reckon either Hornby or Bachmann probably have this one on their to-do list in the next couple of years, in the meantime there is the Golden Arrow Models resin kit that fits on a RTR chassis.

As above you have an alternative in the body kit, in this day, and age a small class with limited range, as apposed to a class of nearly 600 that could've been seen most places between Perth, and Bournemouth, is a bit of a gamble for rtr. But if you look closely at the pics, you will see quite a difference between the Q, and the 4F, firebox, cab, smokebox, chimney(s), dome, lubricators etc. Good luck in your quest.

I keep thinking about making a Q. The Golden Arrow resin body kit would be my first choice. It's moulding is geared to the Airfix/Dapol/Hornby 4F with tender drive, but it must be possible to use the later Hornby 4F loco driven model, as after all Hornby adapted the 4F loco and tender body tooling to change the drive to loco driven. The thing that puts me off is I could bet $64,000 that as soon as I start, B or H will announce a rtr version that will be better tham my humble modelling. It's happened to me with a Class 128, rebuilt and motorised Kitmaster Blue Pullman, MLV, Baby Deltic, Derby lightweight dmu. I've still got my original builds as I enjoyed making them. I'm waiting one of them to announce a Class 120 or 123 dmus-dare you

With the interchangeability of bits preached by Maunsell the Q is a relative of the N 2-6-0. ...

The Q has a parallel boiler and built-up smokebox plus inside cylinders, whilst the "N" has a tapered boiler and drumhead smokebox plus outside cylinders. Not a great deal of interchangeablility there.....

• RMweb Gold

I keep thinking about making a Q. The Golden Arrow resin body kit would be my first choice. It's moulding is geared to the Airfix/Dapol/Hornby 4F with tender drive, but it must be possible to use the later Hornby 4F loco driven model, as after all Hornby adapted the 4F loco and tender body tooling to change the drive to loco driven. The thing that puts me off is I could bet $64,000 that as soon as I start, B or H will announce a rtr version that will be better tham my humble modelling. It's happened to me with a Class 128, rebuilt and motorised Kitmaster Blue Pullman, MLV, Baby Deltic, Derby lightweight dmu. I've still got my original builds as I enjoyed making them. I'm waiting one of them to announce a Class 120 or 123 dmus-dare you

If your effect on rtr manufacturers is that good (I agree about the 120 btw), please can you scratchbuild a diagram N or A7 auto trailer for me...

.....you will see quite a difference between the Q, and the 4F, firebox, cab, smokebox, chimney(s), dome, lubricators etc. Good luck in your quest.

When Crownline introduced their 4F-to-Q conversion kit all those decades ago, it wasn't far short of a full kit in its own right....

• RMweb Gold

The Q has a parallel boiler and built-up smokebox plus inside cylinders, whilst the "N" has a tapered boiler and drumhead smokebox plus outside cylinders. Not a great deal of interchangeablility there.....

Thanks Ivan. Bit sleepy this morning following the storms.

Being brought up in the West Midlands and living in the north, Southern tender locos to me are all the same unless they are covered in tin overcoats.

.... Southern tender locos to me are all the same unless they are covered in tin overcoats.

The only common part that the two classes appeared to share outwardly came quite late in their lives - and that was the fitting of a BR Std.4 exhaust; even then, only six engines carried it (30541 carries it in preservation).

The "Q"'s original steaming had been somewhat indifferent when the engines were used outside of their normal secondary sphere, so some attention was given by Bulleid, who found that the "multiple-jet" blast-pipe - as used on his own designs - was an improvement good enough to justify fitting the whole class with it. 

I have a Q but at the moment it is non-operational. It has an ancient Wills white metal body and tender, and was fitted to a Bachmann J39 chassis, which wasn't quite right for the wheelbases (the rear splashers under the cab didn't align with the wheels), but it ran quite well, and the compromise wasn't too obvious at normal viewing distances.

In more recent times, I bought a cheap Bachmann 3F, which has a much more suitable wheelbase and is DCC ready. with the proviso that the socket is in the tender, which means a complete rewiring is in order! So that's where it stands at the moment: the body is sitting on the new chassis but I have yet to wire it so the driving wheels feed straight to a decoder (or at least, a socket), rather than feeding into the tender. I will then have to rig a tender coupling to attach the Wills tender.

I don't have any decent photos of it at the moment, but will try to get one when the light is better tomorrow, if anyone is interested.

...How hard would it be for them to make the locomotive ...

Considered purely as a subject, then no more problematic than any other. It has the widely used 'Derby' wheelbase, so any manufacturer with an 8'+8'6" w/b, nominal 5' diameter wheel mechanism has the small headstart of a proven mechanism template.

The real question is how it stands in likely sales results against similar sized subjects for the Southern. I recollect fairly recent threads elsewhere on RMweb pleading the case for the U/U1 2-6-0, and larger Southern tank engines -  the G16 4-8-0T or Z 0-8-0T - all attractive enough subjects, and none of these wheel arrangements featuring in Hornby's Southern selection; while they do already have tooling for two Southern 0-6-0s in the form of the 700 and Q1.

• RMweb Premium

I recollect fairly recent threads elsewhere on RMweb pleading the case for the U/U1 2-6-0, and larger Southern tank engines -  the G16 4-8-0T or Z 0-8-0T - all attractive enough subjects, and none of these wheel arrangements featuring in Hornby's Southern selection; while they do already have tooling for two Southern 0-6-0s in the form of the 700 and Q1.

I know it's all in the eye of the beholder, but the Q is such a nondescript loco.  The C2Xs had far more character, especially the ones with the two humps. 

• RMweb Gold

I keep thinking about making a Q. The Golden Arrow resin body kit would be my first choice. It's moulding is geared to the Airfix/Dapol/Hornby 4F with tender drive, but it must be possible to use the later Hornby 4F loco driven model, as after all Hornby adapted the 4F loco and tender body tooling to change the drive to loco driven. The thing that puts me off is I could bet $64,000 that as soon as I start, B or H will announce a rtr version that will be better tham my humble modelling. It's happened to me with a Class 128, rebuilt and motorised Kitmaster Blue Pullman, MLV, Baby Deltic, Derby lightweight dmu. I've still got my original builds as I enjoyed making them. I'm waiting one of them to announce a Class 120 or 123 dmus-dare you

I looked into using the loco drive Hornby 4f chassis, but decided against it, the new chassis has a big lump that protrudes below the boiler, you'd have to cut a hole in the bottom of the boiler barrel, and put up with a partial solid block In front of the fire box. This wasn't so in the tender drive version, but obviously for economy they did it this way.

Haven't ruled out a Bachmann 4f yet though.., WIP..

• RMweb Premium

The q1 and Q have nothing in common.

[Pedant (and flippant Friday) mode on]

They both begin with the letter Q.

They both have 6 driving wheels and a 6 wheeled tender.

They also both boil water for propulsion purposes............

Cheers,

Mick

(Closet Q1 fan and I will probably buy one at some time)

Guest FairwayJunction

PLEASE , make a Q class now

Guest FairwayJunction

I know it's all in the eye of the beholder, but the Q is such a nondescript loco.  The C2Xs had far more character, especially the ones with the two humps. 

Well the C2X is another loco that ran regularly on Midhurst so I would have that as well, I currently have the C class but like the Q and 4F, are there only minor differences between the C and C2x, i think the C2X had a bigger boiler??  

Guest FairwayJunction

Here is my Q with etched chassis, 5 pole open frame motor, 50/1 double reduction gearbox, and plunger pickups:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Wow, this is certainly a great model, well if you ever want to sell it  :mosking: , you have a buyer already  :yes:

Archived