Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

15 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

Personnally I know I am old-fashioned, but I like a lot of modern things -

Whereas, I tend to think of myself as modern, but I like a lot of old-fashioned things.

Must be odd being modern, and liking only modern things, and it must be really annoying being old-fashioned, and liking only old-fashioned things.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Of course, this thread is entitled "Deliberately Old-Fashioned".

To me, that implies something made or done some time after it would have been considered up to date. So, even brand new things, providing they look old-fashioned should be OK...

Besides, we all know who originated that phrase as a description of his company's products...

That, of course, includes the modern motive power pictured on this thread so recently!

Gordon

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Here is a really dull picture.

D8900DED-4857-4B7F-B4F5-7649BBDA8F5A.jpeg.c8c458d08e7abb64c82356b936e0a2fb.jpeg

Now, this isn’t a baseboard for the intended new and smaller layout, but it does signal the arrival of spring, in the sense that the tight radius curves have arrived, and the baseboards are scheduled for delivery next Thursday (after a pretty frustrating wait).

Slow-motion layout-building will commence forthwith!

• Like 13

10 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I might be able to help you there 

1374425522_BrightPicture.jpeg.c232bee870d71b5504dec2fb580870ac.jpeg

Well done, by the way!

Nothing quite like new track on fresh bare ply to welcome in the Season of Renewal!

Edited by Edwardian
Fecking predictive text
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

10 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Now, this isn’t a baseboard for the intended new and smaller layout, but it does signal the arrival of spring, in the sense that the tight radius curves have arrived, and the baseboards are scheduled for delivery next Thursday (after a pretty frustrating wait).

Slow-motion layout-building will commence forthwith!

Perhaps a stop-motion build in the style of Waĺlace and Gromit?

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Like it! Is it really Spring? I must look through my collection of pictures welcoming the Rites of Spring.

315DF939-8DCB-4B50-9E6E-EDA1ADE64149.jpeg.4fb9304731361432c1e4b2a60a193879.jpeg

No, not those ones, you know, the other ones.

L@@K!  RARE!!!

Well, it looks like the sort of relic advertised thus....

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

I shall be closely watching the development of Nearholmer's new "Deliberately Old-Fashioned" railway and looking forward to an invite to go and play. He has started both of his recent "0" gauge layouts and a "00" one since I started my "Gutter Lane" layout, which is still not finished - but slowly plodding on!

As spring has sprung - just about, its still a bit fresh for my liking - I took myself to yesterdy evening's meeting of the "Bedfordshire Vintage Train Group", which was well attended and great fun with some interestingly "Deliberately Old-Fashioned" exotica running, including:

A very Enterprising conversion to a live-steam 4-4-4T.

IMG_1034.jpg.1ea01b67fe51a7261f2b673af996c3b6.jpg

A slightly smaller and rather marvellous live-steam NLR 4-4-0T by the same builder, which ran very nicely with three bogie coaches.

IMG_1035.jpg.c2f995d79c5d321a2cc4fe20814c3bb8.jpg

And a Maerklin Midland Railway "Flat-iron" 2-4-4T. Originally clockwork, this has been sensibly and sympathetically converted to electric traction.

IMG_1036.jpg.12714d1f85a31bed2877182108648f32.jpg

There was a lot more, so a very good evening. I shall look forward to the next meeting in a couple of months.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 14

31 minutes ago, Metropolitan H said:

very Enterprising conversion to a live-steam 4-4-4T.

There are some very talented enterprise converters out there, one of the best I’ve seen was one converted to a North British Railway H12 Atlantic capable of pulling 14 coaches at speed.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I do like the North London loco very nice. One of the mot impressive 0 gauge live steamers I have seen was Clary Edwards Toby pulling a long rake of wagons.

BTW I dont think any photo with track on it can be defined as boring you always wonder were the tracks go.

Don

Edited by Donw
  • Like 6

24 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

May in this instance being the blossom of the Hawthorn...

Around here, I'd be looking for it around mid-March, though given all this loose talk about Spring getting sooner, I may start looking for it in a couple of weeks time!

• Like 4

My “indicator plant” is the plum tree in our garden, which has always bloomed third week of March in “recent normal” years, but has gone as late as third week of April in an exceptionally cold spring (2018, when we had hard frosts and a horrible east wind into April, then a sudden change to very warm weather).

I shall be watching it closely, and will post a bulletin when it blossoms. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

Who can tell? I have no control over the blossoming of plum trees. Birlstone is still intact,, and I suppose one option might be to lift the first piece of track on the day of blossoming, so that it is about the beginning of the new, rather than the ending of the old. I quite like that idea.

Off at a tangent: I have a theory that every model/toy railway maker/commissioner excels themselves with one model, something that they get just right, more right than everything else they do. Well, I think WJV/Raylo/ETS might have done that with their humble tar tank wagon. I’ve just got one, having worked out that they survived plenty long enough to be in a goods train on a 1950s layout, and have been surprised by how very good it is, exactly right for coarse scale. I regard the Bassett Lowke 1930s milk tanker as being their high point, and I think that in a somewhat ‘toy’ range overall, Bing got some of their signals, and one tin station in particular absolutely ‘spot on’. I struggle a bit with classic Hornby, but maybe their GWR County 4-4-0 was more right than anything else. By ‘right’ incidentally, I don’t mean precisely accurate in scale terms necessarily, it’s about the rightness of the model as an object in itself.

Any views or nominations from others?

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

55 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I have a theory that every model/toy railway maker/commissioner excels themselves with one model, something that they get just right, more right than everything else they do.

These days it seems some of them peak with their first model, and it's downhill all the way afterwards.

Or am I just getting cynical... ??!! :rolleyes:  :jester:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1