Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

Thomas book No. 2:

Dalby also touched up Payne's artwork in the second book.

Says Wikipedia.

Poor old Payne had disappeared due to a nervous breakdown, which is how Dalby came into the picture.

The first book was originally illustrated by Middleton, and if you see the pictures they were truly terrible.

Maybe we should re-align this thread for the time being, to become “Deliberately Old-Fashioned Illustrative Art” until I get time to play trains again.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

15 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

More contemporary graphic style, and this time it’s a picture on the southern.

1B325154-8C05-4AC2-BD74-E0C6DD41BE1E.jpeg

No doubt produced in response to the then recently announced BTC modernization scheme.  Springing into the future!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

The one with a centre conductor rail is drawn from life. It’s Bushey, just south of Watford, where the LNWR electrification used four rails, positive outside and negative in the centre, to be compatible with the Bakerloo Line among other things, allowing trains to run Kennington to Watford Junction.

Regarding the mainlines under the 10001 / 10000 combo on the "Down Main" and under the Black 5 4-6-0 on the "Down Slow", what you see between the running rails are Bushey Water-troughs - the first set out from Euston (approx 15 miles) and about halfway to the first summit at Tring cutting from where it was downhill to the Ouse Valley viaduct just north of Wolverton Station, and the Castlethorpe troughs ready for the next climb.

So there is no falsification in the picture.

Regards

Chris H

• Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Metropolitan H said:

Regarding the mainlines under the 10001 / 10000 combo on the "Down Main" and under the Black 5 4-6-0 on the "Down Slow", what you see between the running rails are Bushey Water-troughs

Something of a classic location! Rather grainy but showing all six lines and the bridge:

wp2dbcec24_05_06.jpg

[Railway Wonders of the World site, embedded link.]

It's well-known that water and electricity don't mix but there doesn't seem to have been the need for any barrier to stop the overflowing cascade of water from the overflowing tender of an engine on the down fast spilling out over the electrified lines.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

a) Water on exposed electrical conductors. Consider natural downpours. The "sheds" on insulators are there to allow water to drain-off without compromising insulation, and surface dampness is self-eliminating by leakage current.

b) Catalogue details for the poster from which the Bushey image was stolen.

Poster produced for British Railways (BR), showing examples of the three types of motive power used by its locomotives. On the left is shown a Clas 5 4-6-0 mixed traffic steam locomotive, while in the centre of the picture is the twin diesel- electric locomotive unit nos 10000-10001, hauling a main line train. To the right is shown a suburban electric train. Artwork by V Welch.

Image Details

Artist

Welch, V

Image Ref.

© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library

Vic Welch painted lots of posters for BR, in fact I think he may have worked as a LM/BR staffer for a period, and I think he also did work for Ian Allan for their postcard series and annuals. One of the many highlights of a trip via Waterloo for me as a boy was seeing all the Ian Allan stuff on the bookstall, and being allowed a couple of postcards, some of which I think I still have, or a Gomm pin badge.

Here's another good one of his, even if the caption is a piece of publicity department word-chopping that carefully excludes The Brighton Line https://www.ssplprints.com/image/80906/welch-v-britains-first-all-electric-main-line-br-poster-1955

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

One very distinctive style, post WW2, was the use of engravings, which I thought well carried out and enjoyable. Presumably better to print than muddy b&w photos, and not so complicated as any colour reproductions. Here’s some Ian Allan jobs, one defaced with a shirtbutton totem by a ten year old vandal with a biro. I particularly like the dynamism of the Enterprise Express, done as an inside frontispiece. ((I think the artist is A.N.Wolstenholme)

01C6CA1A-7946-4A6B-AFD7-C2B5EFBF7143.jpeg.2212268a31ef85bce27484af03232d94.jpeg0D5E90E9-9539-4745-B89B-E6BEB938A0C1.jpeg.c0f8a1292eb68e469990204c1ab8669e.jpegBE435639-293C-4166-92F5-394738F8680E.jpeg.d9bf5a2179e5a913d3db59c9a996a073.jpeg

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 9

Excellent choice, Sir!

Not only did he create oodles of really exciting linocuts (I think they are), but drew this brilliant poster   https://www.originalrailwayposters.co.uk/product/british-railways-locomotives_wolstenholme 

Note thoughtful inclusion of Triang Dock Authority Shunter (well, nearly. I think its actually the type alllocated to Poplar for the London Docks). Donkeys years ago, and I seriously wish I'd never lost it, I had a presentation folder issued by BR, containing a small-size copy of that poster, plus a great big long fold-out thing showing an entire passenger train to about TT scale in side profile, with a description of the loco, and each coach underneath the respective vehicle, and on the other side a goods train ditto (this was actually more interesting). It must have been produced for some special event c1960, but I have no idea what special event. 

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

Back to Bushy troughs for a moment, the cover of the LMS 150 coffee table book showed a Princess Royal passing a Watford electric on the troughs.  It all looked rather "damp", but I realized that it should be safe in normal downpours and well drained to boot!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Northroader said:

(Times are interesting)

The great slogan of the Brighton Line electrification in 1933 was "Every hour; on the hour; in the hour", referring to departures from Victoria, into which pattern the Belle circuits fitted. Headcode 4, unless diverted via Redhill.

Checking tomorrow's times, the regular "fasts" (which now call at Croydon and Gatwick, I think) seem to run from London Bridge (inconvenient for most off-peak purposes), and take 62 minutes, but do run every half an hour, so whether things can be said to have got better or not is hard to decide.

Basically, its taken about an hour since about 1900, but the trains have become progressively less interesting, and more frequent as the decades have ground past!

Glasgow, on the other hand, does a lot better than it used to. Ten past the hour (with odd exceptions around the evening peak), every hour, in just either side of five hours (the quickest seems to be 4h 40m!). That is ruddy impressive considering the nature and length of the route.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I was only trying to shield Edwardian from revealing his secret, ummm, past.. :whistle:

No secrets in my past ... I mean, look, just two people meeting in an outdoor venue was totally within the Covid rules, surely?

Villain.jpg.c6bfc2b1dcf9b50e790ec6146af77fde.jpg

• Like 2
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

I'd say thats even out of period, or possibly out of character, for this thread, in that Mrs Peel always seemed to personify modernity, rather than old-fashionedness.

But, that was modern about 54+ years back - the late Diana Rigg (born in Doncaster, albeit raised in India) last played a part in The Avengers in 1968, the same year that the last mainline steam ran in normal BR service! 

So I reckon this is no more anachronistic than Jenny Agutter in the Railway Children appearing occasionally in various posts?

Regards

Chris H

At least there is a real steam loco - as built by David Curwen - in the picture!

CH

Edited by Metropolitan H
Finger trouble!
  • Like 3

Which begs the question: how is old-fashionedness defined?

My working definition is that nothing that has been thought modern during my liftetime can possibly be considered old-fashioned. If it was, that might easily mean that I could be, which wouldn't seem right at all.

Or, we could use the definition that got applied a very long way back up-thread, which said that anything after Bassett Lowke (Precision Models, ex-Winteringham, really) ceased production of proper tinplate 0-gauge, or at the very outside anything after production of Hornby 0-gauge ceased, is modern. Which neatly brackets the above definition.

Question is then: did Diana Rigg join the cast of The Avengers before, or after Binns Road stopped churning out tin clockwork trains? (The Plastic Percy doesn't count, because its plastic)*

PS: Jenny Agutter is Patron Saint or Inspiring Muse of Edwardian's threads, rather than this one.

*She joined the cast in 1965. Definitely modern. 

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

As The Avengers didn't didn't appear till about the time Binns Road closed, that just about lets you consider it modern - but as you are nearing pensionable age, albeit only a wee mite at the time Binns Road shut up shop, whether or not you are old-fashioned might be debated.

Personnally I know I am old-fashioned, but I like a lot of modern things - like double glazing, central heating etc. Times past weren't always comfortable for the majority, even if they might at times appear less stressful in retrospect - but that may be rose-tinted!

Regards

Chris H

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Which begs the question: how is old-fashionedness defined?

My working definition is that nothing that has been thought modern during my liftetime can possibly be considered old-fashioned. If it was, that might easily mean that I could be, which wouldn't seem right at all.

Or, we could use the definition that got applied a very long way back up-thread, which said that anything after Bassett Lowke (Precision Models, ex-Winteringham, really) ceased production of proper tinplate 0-gauge, or at the very outside anything after production of Hornby 0-gauge ceased, is modern. Which neatly brackets the above definition.

Question is then: did Diana Rigg join the cast of The Avengers before, or after Binns Road stopped churning out tin clockwork trains? (The Plastic Percy doesn't count, because its plastic)

Well by my reckoning Tinplate trains stopped about 1962  Avengers started 61 but Emma Peel didn't appear until 65. 

Now I had a Horby 0 gauge set when small but seeing as much of my early life and even today  my lifestyle and views rather fit in with the term old fashioned. Make of that what you will.

Somewhat obsolete.

Outdated and proud of it.

Don

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

Interesting  to note that the above pic of Mrs Peel must be a publicity shot, in the actual episode ( there's a 4 minute clip on YouTube) she's tied longitudinally to the rails and the train (spoiler alert!!) passes on the adjacent line. Presumably ABC thought a nicely posed photo of a trussed up Diana Rigg would pull in the viewers - I couldn't possibly comment...

For those who wish to relive or reenact the scene, the Stapleford Miniature Railway still operates occasionally, complete with a blue plaque to mark the spot of Mrs Peel's near demise - next one I think is August Bank Holiday.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2