Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

Here's a more recent one with custom made decals.

attachicon.gifBNRNo8.JPG

Must say it's really weird and nostalgic seeing you pop up on here Gerald. I used to read your old BNR stuff years ago on the New Railway Modellers forums before I even thought about seriously doing model railway stuff myself, and used to sit there thinking how much I'd want to do stuff like this. It's good to see you on here :)

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

This w

This was made from a BR Class 20 kit-bashed with both ends merged together.

Well spotted! :yes:   it's a Wrenn Class 20 with a Wrenn Class 08 cab at either end, with the windows reversed on one side and opened out a little.

Must say it's really weird and nostalgic seeing you pop up on here Gerald. I used to read your old BNR stuff years ago on the New Railway Modellers forums before I even thought about seriously doing model railway stuff myself, and used to sit there thinking how much I'd want to do stuff like this. It's good to see you on here :)

Thank you. It was your posts on here, along with those of Corbs and relaxinghobby that inspired me to add a little bit of BNR into the mix.

• Like 1

Thank you. It was your posts on here, along with those of Corbs and relaxinghobby that inspired me to add a little bit of BNR into the mix.

Thanks. Hearing that Corbs and Edwardian like my stuff is one thing (no offence guys, you guys are awesome and without your work I wouldn't be doing this now, plus Edwardian you're a great mentor) but hearing it from a man who kept my interest alive while I wasn't even thinking of doing it myself is something else entirely. Consider my day made :) Especially as I didn't even know you were on here until now.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

Halfway through reading this terrific thread I remembered that I have my own Pugbash - As a teenager in the mid-80's I wanted an industrial loco but options were very limited then, so I bought a secondhand Hornby Caley Pug, modified the tank with Milliput, and made a new cab from Plasticard. It's been retired in a box for 30 years since I started in EM, and has lost it's Kean-Maygib buffers to another loco at some stage. It's very big for an 0-4-0 of course, but it might look OK with a 6-coupled chassis under it......

WP_20180422_15_42_58_Pro.jpg.ac283f55e2ee318f1f459d9add21344f.jpg

Then here's my even older Pug from when I was 12 or 13, awaiting shortening and conversion to a proper industrial Neilson.

1387107790_Photo27.jpg.a31b15846164968560799ee177e35233.jpg

I might have to start this one next, you have all inspired me to get stuck in!

Edited by Barclay
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I really like the Caley Pug with the extended tank, it seems to disguise the over-length chassis.  If the distinctive smokebox door was changed as well, the models origins would be almost unrecognisable.  Nice job, Barclay, I shall be copying this in future.  By the way, what's the source of that gorgeous Bagnall 0-6-0ST on the left?

Edited by Northmoor
  • Agree 1

Halfway through reading this terrific thread I remembered that I have my own Pugbash - As a teenager in the mid-80's I wanted an industrial loco but options were very limited then, so I bought a secondhand Hornby Caley Pug, modified the tank with Milliput, and made a new cab from Plasticard. It's been retired in a box for 30 years since I started in EM, and has lost it's Kean-Maygib buffers to another loco at some stage. It's very big for an 0-4-0 of course, but it might look OK with a 6-coupled chassis under it......

Then here's my even older Pug from when I was 12 or 13, awaiting shortening and conversion to a proper industrial Neilson.

I might have to start this one next, you have all inspired me to get stuck in!

I do like what you've done with the cab on that pug.

Edited by GeraldH
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Curiously enough, the latest Railway Modeller has an article on putting a Nellie body on an 0-6-0 chassis.

I really like the Caley Pug with the extended tank, it seems to disguise the over-length chassis.  If the distinctive smokebox door was changed as well, the models origins would be almost unrecognisable.  Nice job, Barclay, I shall be copying this in future.  By the way, what's the source of that gorgeous Bagnall 0-6-0ST on the left?

Thank you. Quite fun seeing it again after all these years. The Bagnall is from the old and much lamented Impetus kit, bought secondhand before the prices went silly although only finished a couple of years ago.

• RMweb Gold

Curiously enough, the latest Railway Modeller has an article on putting a Nellie body on an 0-6-0 chassis.

Ah yes using a Terrier chassis! The previous issue had an article on making a PD&SWJR 0-6-2T out of a Hornby Jinty and an electrotren 0-6-0T.

I discovered this thread only a few days ago and I’ve been browsing it ever since. What a treasure trove of ingenuity and inspiration! Thanks all. I didn’t realise pug-bashing was such a popular pursuit. “Where’s he been?”  I hear you ask. All I can say is that “Where am I?” is a question I often ask myself.

As a dabbler in O-16.5, I have taken my razor saw to a few of Hornby’s  0-4-0 variants. Whilst the end products bear only a passing resemblance to anything in the real world, the process is thoroughly satisfying. Here are two of my flights-of-fancy. ‘Meelmore’ started life as a Hornby Caley Pug and ‘No. 15’ was one of those bright red Hornby Bagnall shunters before the surgery.

Alan

IMG_4465D.jpg.9b2335ce50b7595bb996d0356fbeab07.jpg

P1011499.jpg.bc26a30de458737ed620734f5a0f31f5.jpg

Edited by Tullygrainey
  • Like 15

Shouldn't the driver be wearing a gasmask, judging by the position of the exhaust........?

Nicely modelled and weathered though.

Thanks for the kind words Peter. Yes! That exhaust definitely needs attention. Either that or the driver will.

• Funny 1

the paintwork i sbery good, its got that painted metal look to it

Thank you. I find painting and weathering very tricky. I get there as much by luck as by judgement most of the time. No. 15 was spray-canned Brunswick Green Acrylic gloss, then weathered with Humbrol Metalcote 27004 and powders. A coat of Acrylic satin varnish sealed it all.  Finally, Metalcote was applied again to handrails and then polished. 

Alan

I discovered this thread only a few days ago and I’ve been browsing it ever since. What a treasure trove of ingenuity and inspiration! Thanks all. I didn’t realise pug-bashing was such a popular pursuit. “Where’s he been?”  I hear you ask. All I can say is that “Where am I?” is a question I often ask myself.

As a dabbler in O-16.5, I have taken my razor saw to a few of Hornby’s  0-4-0 variants. Whilst the end products bear only a passing resemblance to anything in the real world, the process is thoroughly satisfying. Here are two of my flights-of-fancy. ‘Meelmore’ started life as a Hornby Caley Pug and ‘No. 15’ was one of those bright red Hornby Bagnall shunters before the surgery.

Excellent bit of modelling. I love the detail and finish.

• Like 1