Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday I was at Redditch MRC show.

One of the traders had a fair bit of old Triang, Including genuine Nellie, Polly and Dock shunter, however they were not cheap, prices seemed to range from about £30 , 40 - £50 each.

Not really for the bashers.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, melmerby said:

One of the traders had a fair bit of old Triang, Including genuine Nellie, Polly and Dock shunter, however they were not cheap, prices seemed to range from about £30 , 40 - £50 each.

Sounds like one of the usual crowd; a table-full of old tat at inflated prices and probably complaining about how no-one's buying anything, internet's ruined the business etc..  Either that or a wet-behind-the-ears trader who thinks anything old is valuable.

Both types likely to spend their weekends exuding an air of disappointment.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Really clean examples are definitely appreciating, especially if boxed.

However, played-with conversion fodder for £10 to £20 is still reasonably plentiful.

My most recent acquisition of a Nellie body (no mechanism) set me back only £2, though the roof ribs have a little damage that will increase the amount of work involved.

Almost worth it just for a set of metal buffer heads....  

John

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

Sounds like one of the usual crowd; a table-full of old tat at inflated prices and probably complaining about how no-one's buying anything, internet's ruined the business etc..  Either that or a wet-behind-the-ears trader who thinks anything old is valuable.

Both types likely to spend their weekends exuding an air of disappointment.

Ditto for: *

Autojumbles

Toy fairs

Antique fairs

Car boots

Record fairs

Military events

Vintage clothing fairs

And of course eBay, although they usually just grumble in the description or terms of sale section.

The trouble is, thanks to the media, everybody thinks they're an expert and everybody thinks that you can make a killing. 

If you could, we'd be currently touring Italy on matching his and hers Brough Superior SS100 motorcycles or in a 1957 Maserati 3500GT...

*The Memsahib and I get about a bit.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

On 03/03/2024 at 16:17, MrWolf said:

Ditto for: *

Autojumbles

Toy fairs

Antique fairs

Car boots

Record fairs

Military events

Vintage clothing fairs

And of course eBay, although they usually just grumble in the description or terms of sale section.

The trouble is, thanks to the media, everybody thinks they're an expert and everybody thinks that you can make a killing. 

If you could, we'd be currently touring Italy on matching his and hers Brough Superior SS100 motorcycles or in a 1957 Maserati 3500GT...

*The Memsahib and I get about a bit.

I don't know. My luck at toy fairs has been pretty good, though admittedly less for model rail stuff... 

• Like 2

this talk of ridiculous prices for Connies and Pollies has prompted me to file my unpowered one on eBay, have at it lads, I've given it a cheap start.....

Edited by Captain Slough
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

I’ve had a fair bit of luck at my local train shows with second hand Triang things… L1 for fifteen quid, suburban carriages for a fiver each or so, a smoking B12 for a tenner (sold to me as a non runner, but half an hours cleaning was all it needed)! Never really looked into 0-4-0s though, the standard Hornby ones you can get for a tenner or similar, but I’ve never really checked the prices on the Triang ones, my next local show is in June, if I remember then I’ll report on the prices of Nellies, Connies, Pollys, etc…

Edited by Hacksworth_Sidings
  • Like 3

Sort of pug bash but of the more tender kind.

I’ve just acquired, at an exhibition a beaten up Airfix kit for their Schools class missing part of the cab. The tender’s too tall and wide for my era of modelling, pre-grouping, so I’ve pulled it apart and cut it down into a series of rectangles. Trimming of a few millimeters here and there to make a smaller tender of the older kind. Whilst trying not to break too much and preserve as much of the surface molded detail as I can.

P1010122a.JPG.ecd638f008bfa016e611af0b1444ce0e.JPG

Reassembly with some plastic inserts  just cut into appropriate sized rectangles to act as spacers.

Here I’ve used the original plastic wheels for now. This tender could cover up a motor bogie perhaps when I find a locomotive to run it behind.

P1010121a.JPG.785731bd741d4958cf8d8c9383ed4040.JPG

Some damage to the front edge right hand side, can make that good with filler.

A the right is an American style tender top and plasticard frames to disguise a Bull-Ant motor tender. This is what can be done with old scrap tenders. Lots of nice rivet detail and everything is square. My home made never are 100 % .

P1010124a.JPG.469a0607f8f00e882d8a25410ab7ee4a.JPG

Here’s one I made earlier to go with an adaptation of an old Triang 3F which is still waiting for a older style cab to make into a pregrouping ex Cambrian Beyer Peacock loco of the1890’s. Other wise the 3F dimension are nearly correct. The rear over hang is too long ,this project has been stalled for some time .

P1010129a.JPG.925d69204b85896163d58a9069f67728.JPG

As a comparison there is the Bachmann C class tender, a similar sized 0-6-0 engine.

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

P1010162z.JPG.45ff3fb437e0836579417612bfae0ee8.JPG

Poor definition of the door detail end in this photo despite taking it in good bright sunlight.

I've put the plastic coal load back in but can decide if I want to model the in side of the tender, would that be called the coal shelf ?

So made it removable.

P1010157z.JPG.f75f89869008751b1d4d05dab7c46d49.JPG

Trimmed down the original coal detail from the Airfix Schools kit and made it the top of a box that can be dropped into the coal space.

Not yet decided the use of this tender yet, it could be a box to hide a motor bogie in or a motor and gear box to drive the engine via a shaft. I’m aiming at motorising a small pre-grouping 0-6-0 where there is little room to put a motor. I seem to remember the modeller and professional loco builder, the late Iain Rice commenting that the low pitched boiler 0-6-0 prototype being one of the hardest to model ? Can’t quote the reference, possibly in one of his books on loco chassis making ?

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

This is ridiculous, my "connie" (unpowered,clearly says in title and description and photo shows it has no motor) is currently at £31 on eBay

is a good body and original box really worth that much? or do I have an idiot buyer who hasnt realised he or she isnt getting a running model?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Captain Slough said:

This is ridiculous, my "connie" (unpowered,clearly says in title and description and photo shows it has no motor) is currently at £31 on eBay

is a good body and original box really worth that much? or do I have an idiot buyer who hasnt realised he or she isnt getting a running model?

It might end up for sale again by friend Gostude, only with a 1 in front of what you got.😉

Joking apart. It's a long time since I sold on ebay, 9 or 10 years. A couple of buyers really put me off selling again. Worst was a French bloke. I'd estimated the postage and unintentionally overcharged him. Without being asked, I refunded him a few quid postage as soon as I got back from the PO and dropped him a message to say so (in English). My reward for my honesty was a big red one coupled with a verbal blasting (in perfect English) saying I had demanded extra postage!! Deffo the wrong end of the stick I think. 

Hope this works out OK for you Captain, Regards, Rich

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Captain Slough said:

There was a stall at Ally Pally yesterday selling multiple unboxed (but presumably working) Caley Pugs for £25.  I actually think that's at the very top end of realistic prices.

While you are in the clear if your description is accurate, it is still a hassle when the winning bidder has clearly failed to read your listing.  Never underestimate how often people see what they want in an eBay picture and just hit Place Bid without reading any further.  I sold a collection of VHS videos a couple of years ago, making explicitly clear that they were collection only as postage would be way more than the item's value.  There was a winning bidder from nearly 100 miles away who paid up then asked when they would be posted.  Once I'd reminded them to read the listing I never heard from them again, even when I offered a refund or to meet up in London where I work, if they or someone they knew, could get themselves there.

I sold a car on eBay for £400 and the winning bidder lived over 400 miles away.  They never got in touch, but fortunately the second highest bidder lived 12 miles away......

• Friendly/supportive 2

well the £31 bidder was outbid in the last seconds by someone who bid £36, and paid minutes later...  Guess I'll find out in a few days when its delivered, if he actually had read the description or not (even the header said "not motorised.." and one pic showed it with the body removed and no motor )

To be fair it had immaculate lining and bodywork as well as a complete original box, I'm just not seeing the value being realistic.  I filed it with a starting price of £9 expecting it to go for no more than £12

Edited by Captain Slough
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Captain Slough said:

well the £31 bidder was outbid in the last seconds by someone who bid £36, and paid minutes later...  Guess I'll find out in a few days when its delivered, if he actually had read the description or not (even the header said "not motorised.." and one pic showed it with the body removed and no motor )

To be fair it had immaculate lining and bodywork as well as a complete original box, I'm just not seeing the value being realistic.  I filed it with a starting price of £9 expecting it to go for no more than £12

If somebody has another one with a good chassis, uniting the two would create a decent potential profit.

Given their original target market, mint bodies and good original boxes are going to be pretty rare while mechanisms are plentiful and refurbishing them is easy. There will be collectors with gaps that want filling.  

The markets for such models and hacking fodder for the likes of us are two entirely separate things.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• 3 weeks later...

Shared on the “cheapo train sets” a few days ago, but I figured it’d be fitting to show off here!

IMG_9757.jpeg.4090f463a61ff83df93a5a318ce2988e.jpeg

Picked up this little thing from Llangollen’s “Chapel Emporium” for a fiver on Monday, the early 0-4-0 type with the square axles (which is a godsend as it self quarters!) and the X908 motor, I’ve sorted out the running to an extent, electrical conductivity is awful, partly because the wheels are tarnished, mostly because the way it picks up power is unreliable (the tops of the pickup strips simply press against the motor terminals, good for easy servicing, not so much for good running).

Going to hardwire the motor contacts, then I need to figure out what I’ll do in terms of customisation… Absolutely swapping the cylinders and con rods for spares from a Triang loco, and I’m considering… No, going to, add extended crank pins & Walschearts valve gear onto the rear wheels. As for paint? I’m thinking something quintessentially German, red frames & wheels, black body, a knockoff BR80 if you will!

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Shared on the “cheapo train sets” a few days ago, but I figured it’d be fitting to show off here!

IMG_9757.jpeg.4090f463a61ff83df93a5a318ce2988e.jpeg

Picked up this little thing from Llangollen’s “Chapel Emporium” for a fiver on Monday, the early 0-4-0 type with the square axles (which is a godsend as it self quarters!) and the X908 motor, I’ve sorted out the running to an extent, electrical conductivity is awful, partly because the wheels are tarnished, mostly because the way it picks up power is unreliable (the tops of the pickup strips simply press against the motor terminals, good for easy servicing, not so much for good running).

Going to hardwire the motor contacts, then I need to figure out what I’ll do in terms of customisation… Absolutely swapping the cylinders and con rods for spares from a Triang loco, and I’m considering… No, going to, add extended crank pins & Walschearts valve gear onto the rear wheels. As for paint? I’m thinking something quintessentially German, red frames & wheels, black body, a knockoff BR80 if you will!

I do rather like these as oddities in the Hornby range, feels like a holdover from the Triang Transcontinental days, and how they tried to dip a toe into the foreign markets :)

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

This reminds me of a recent purchase of my own. I bought this ancient (somewhere between 1941-1952) Varney 'Little Joe' dockside shunter. I had to fit a motor and new worm gear, amazed to find it runs on modern track given its age. What it really needs though is valve gear, and how I hate making valve gear!

IMG_20231209_110422_MP.jpg.cbd5032126db1821fc182c8dd644dd4e.jpg

IMG_20231209_103830_MP.jpg.985746d4484985832e865c124ff424bf.jpg

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Barclay said:

This reminds me of a recent purchase of my own. I bought this ancient (somewhere between 1941-1952) Varney 'Little Joe' dockside shunter. I had to fit a motor and new worm gear, amazed to find it runs on modern track given its age. What it really needs though is valve gear, and how I hate making valve gear!

IMG_20231209_110422_MP.jpg.cbd5032126db1821fc182c8dd644dd4e.jpg

IMG_20231209_103830_MP.jpg.985746d4484985832e865c124ff424bf.jpg

I had a similar machine from Elaines Trains (not sure of the maker) but it's in red, with BR double arrows :)

16 minutes ago, Ben B said:

I had a similar machine from Elaines Trains (not sure of the maker) but it's in red, with BR double arrows :)

Sounds like a Lima Baldwin-alike.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Rivarossi used to make a B&O Dockside switcher....and used the same mech for a tender version[with a slope back tender].

They had full valve gear, so may be worth keeping an eye out for?

Their motors were huge, and could threaten the integrity of the National Grid when pulling a long train.

But.....if non-working, could be a good source of parts for a Varney?

[As well as having a nice plastic bodyshell]

• Like 3