Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, sir douglas said:

Isnt Bertha's tender a standard Fowler but with a cab?, surely theres plenty of secondhand 4F tenders around

It was something of a one-off with a non-standard tank but was closer to a Deeley tender - a Compound or S&DJR 7F tender would be nearer.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, sir douglas said:

Isnt Bertha's tender a standard Fowler but with a cab?, surely theres plenty of secondhand 4F tenders around

Just spotted your posting. I maybe be wrong but I'm assuming you're replying to my 'Poor Mans'' Lickey posting?

No I'm afraid the banker tender it isn't a standard Fowler tender. As @Compound2632 has said it was a one off.

According to Bill Ibbot in the Nov1967 RM  the tank was built new but the chassis dated ''probably'' (Ibotts words) from 1878. Yep I've plenty of scrapper 4f tenders but the GBL compound is in the worst condition so first in line for butchery. Project is in early thinking stages so progress will be slow. I'll maybe start my own thread on my misdeads.

Cheers, Rich

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TinTracks said:

Just spotted your posting. I maybe be wrong but I'm assuming you're replying to my 'Poor Mans'' Lickey posting?

No I'm afraid the banker tender it isn't a standard Fowler tender. As @Compound2632 has said it was a one off.

According to Bill Ibbot in the Nov1967 RM  the tank was built new but the chassis dated ''probably'' (Ibotts words) from 1878. Yep I've plenty of scrapper 4f tenders but the GBL compound is in the worst condition so first in line for butchery. Project is in early thinking stages so progress will be slow. I'll maybe start my own thread on my misdeads.

Cheers, Rich

Hi TinTracks,

Wouldn't the tender from the Hornby Duke of Sutherland work. Not sure if you are going to put the motor in the loco or the tender. But either way that one could work. If the motor is in the loco then you just remove it from the tender.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, cypherman said:

Wouldn't the tender from the Hornby Duke of Sutherland work

Hi @cypherman

Your right !  ( as long as we accept this is an ''artists impression'' of the Lickey engine and no way a scale model😉

I'd forgotten that I have a Hornby working tender drive ''Godiva'' that has been dunked in green paint sometime in the past. The tender chassis is close enough for me and as I think you've already mentioned the loco body has possibilities.

I'm only 20 mins from Peter's Spares and noticed he's got cheapo tender bodies and chassis to suit so rather than carve up Godiva I'll nip over and buy the spares, I've a spare tender drive unit to fit these. 

PS whilst looking for the Patriot I discovered another, long forgotten, 9f hidden away so I really must say thanks for prompting me. 

I'm now under strict instructions from herself to ''get that back bedroom sorted out''!!

Regards, Rich

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Hi TinTracks.

I have a similar problem. But mine is with a Metcalf castle I have just finished building. My wife has asked what is I suppose a reasonable question. Now you have finished it where the hell is it going. I am not sure about that yet.  But I did have an idea to glue it to a board and hang it from the wall like a picture. I can see that going down like a lead balloon with my wife.......lol

• Like 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 20/01/2024 at 18:16, cypherman said:

Hi TinTracks.

I have a similar problem. But mine is with a Metcalf castle I have just finished building. My wife has asked what is I suppose a reasonable question. Now you have finished it where the hell is it going. I am not sure about that yet.  But I did have an idea to glue it to a board and hang it from the wall like a picture. I can see that going down like a lead balloon with my wife.......lol

One of the reasons I never got into big plastic kits of tanks and bombers!

Would love one of these, but where would you put it?

https://lancasterbomber.hachettepartworks.com/

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

On 17/01/2024 at 12:09, TinTracks said:

Looking at the top of the right hand row you will see an old J94 plastic kit which I plan to motorise using a suitably butchered Marklin 2-6-0 chassis (pictured under the kit) The driving wheel wheelbase and wheel size of the Marklin chassis is almost identical to the original J 94 kit chassis. To convert to 12v DC I've retrofitted this particular chassis with an aftermarket permanent magnet that I had spare but a pair of diodes would have done the job just as well.

Should’ve checked Elaine’s Trains before Christmas, I think she had a motor kit for the Airfix J94 up for grabs, probably around a fiver.

Either way, thanks for this info, gives me an excuse to try and get more BR80s.

Which reminds me… Lima did a BR80, which for some reason I’m only just remembering, despite the fact that I actually own one! I would butcher it for an industrial loco, but it was part of a pack from their golden series (with three 2 axle carriages), a gift from a member of my local MRC in exchange for my services fixing up some of his models, so I don’t really have the heart to butcher it, haha. Maybe I’ll pick another up some day…

IMG_7276.jpeg.fbae7c44cd6c5ba593e5e91e84f80f7a.jpeg
IMG_7277.jpeg.c41ec607ef18b019b9f872ef625efdb9.jpeg

Edited by Hacksworth_Sidings
Added photographs
  • Like 7

Unsure if this is suited for the thread, it isn’t exactly a Pugbash, Nelliebosh, a Desmondification, or a Jintystein (unless you count the use of a few Jinty wheels).

A surplus of spare parts, a hacksaw, a bottle of super glue, and nothing to do with your time does strange things to the mind…

IMG_7477.jpeg.381aa42426a8f7bd5976e8aab954b6c3.jpeg

Princess chassis block, Jinty driving wheels (3MT drivers on the centre wheels, as they have the extended crank pins), a rear bogie from a black five, Princess body with the cab snipped off (though I kept the cab floor as to keep the original mounting lug), and the cab & bunker off a damaged 3MT. Half tempted to get a Prairie kit to nick the tanks from… Or maybe Jinty tanks, unsure… Oooh, I have that spare Lima 9400 body with no smokebox…

Edited by Hacksworth_Sidings
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 4

BenBuckiClockworkYEC01.jpg.3e86ef3aec9292d27499047cf7e68fe1.jpg

I thought I'd post another of my clockwork creations, from the 'might have been' 00 starter locomotives project.  Being a bit annoyed with the Triang North British-type shunter which could only run cab-first, I had a hunt for a prototype with a high-bonnet shunter.  In the end I went for one of my favourite designs, the Yorkshire Engine Company DE2.

BenBuckiClockworkYEC02.jpg.46949adcd089d9dc53fad1bdd0d6c714.jpg

The body is modified from the North British shunter, with a new plasticard front, the original bonnet raised, re-profiled, etc.  The livery is a bit basic (the masking ended up very scruffy), but as with the other Triang builds I was trying to keep it to a single colour on the body, to save costs.

BenBuckiClockworkYEC03.jpg.becacbd4a9806405c722739cc1be2b5e.jpg

I was pretty happy with it, though the front also looks a little rough, and could have done with re-cutting.  I think it looks like something that could have existed though.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

2 hours ago, Ben B said:

I thought I'd post another of my clockwork creations, from the 'might have been' 00 starter locomotives project.  Being a bit annoyed with the Triang North British-type shunter which could only run cab-first, I had a hunt for a prototype with a high-bonnet shunter.  In the end I went for one of my favourite designs, the Yorkshire Engine Company DE2.

The body is modified from the North British shunter, with a new plasticard front, the original bonnet raised, re-profiled, etc.  The livery is a bit basic (the masking ended up very scruffy), but as with the other Triang builds I was trying to keep it to a single colour on the body, to save costs.

I was pretty happy with it, though the front also looks a little rough, and could have done with re-cutting.  I think it looks like something that could have existed though.

You do know that wasp stripes usually go on the end, don't you?

• Funny 2

7 hours ago, TonyMay said:

You do know that wasp stripes usually go on the end, don't you?

As Steamport Southport mentions above, the British Steel loco's had the all-over stripes, which is what I was going for. I left the stripes off the ends partly because of the difficulty of masking accurately (I was on a tight deadline with the project), and partly because I was doing this as a 'what if' Triang model, and figured that in the low-budget clockwork starter range, Triang would probably limit the decoration to a few stripes down each side to give an impression of the livery :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

The diesels in one of the steelworks were like that!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12a_kingmoor_klickr/50206141283

https://www.flickr.com/photos/94130968@N07/19340593138

Maybe expand the stripes around the nose. Note that it's not very precisely painted on the preserved example!

Jason

I'm doing a rather more high-fi take on the Kelham loco for my garden line, which will have the livery done properly around the ends :)

• Like 4

Here is a work-in-progress shot of a real hybrid, of which more information probably to follow later. I consider the identity of model locomotives to derive from the chassis, and thus consider it an ongoing rebuild of a Tyco 4-6-0. That said, it presently incorporates: the chassis thereof, body shell from a Wrenn R1 scrapped when her drivers were found to be irreparably damaged, cylinder saddle, crosshead guides and forward main rod sections from scrap Rivarossi “Casey Jones”, handbuilt brass frame extensions and crosshead guide yoke, and incidental scratchbuilt styrene components.BD170177-FA6D-4841-AB06-7FE525CCAA70.jpeg.a3abd8bad69d5ad72cd91a1f94bd52e6.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

On 27/01/2024 at 22:42, Ben B said:

Love it. You wouldn't trip over that in the dark! Drawing pins in the shanks would give large, industrial buffers.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Cunningham Loco & Machine Works said:

Here is a work-in-progress shot of a real hybrid, of which more information probably to follow later. I consider the identity of model locomotives to derive from the chassis, and thus consider it an ongoing rebuild of a Tyco 4-6-0. That said, it presently incorporates: the chassis thereof, body shell from a Wrenn R1 scrapped when her drivers were found to be irreparably damaged, cylinder saddle, crosshead guides and forward main rod sections from scrap Rivarossi “Casey Jones”, handbuilt brass frame extensions and crosshead guide yoke, and incidental scratchbuilt styrene components.BD170177-FA6D-4841-AB06-7FE525CCAA70.jpeg.a3abd8bad69d5ad72cd91a1f94bd52e6.jpeg

Oh that's really cute. I love it! 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Cunningham Loco & Machine Works said:

That's got the look of a loco from one of the South Wales companies, nice job!

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Cunningham Loco & Machine Works said:

Shades of the Highland Railway Scrap tanks 

• Like 2

On 27/01/2024 at 22:40, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Unsure if this is suited for the thread, it isn’t exactly a Pugbash, Nelliebosh, a Desmondification, or a Jintystein (unless you count the use of a few Jinty wheels).

A surplus of spare parts, a hacksaw, a bottle of super glue, and nothing to do with your time does strange things to the mind…

IMG_7477.jpeg.381aa42426a8f7bd5976e8aab954b6c3.jpeg

Princess chassis block, Jinty driving wheels (3MT drivers on the centre wheels, as they have the extended crank pins), a rear bogie from a black five, Princess body with the cab snipped off (though I kept the cab floor as to keep the original mounting lug), and the cab & bunker off a damaged 3MT. Half tempted to get a Prairie kit to nick the tanks from… Or maybe Jinty tanks, unsure… Oooh, I have that spare Lima 9400 body with no smokebox…

It might be worth extending the bunker, it would make it look more balanced, and give it a bit more theoretical coal. Or keep it as a very beefy shunter. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cunningham Loco & Machine Works said:

I was scratching my head over this one till I realised...... the chassis is back to front. 

Reverse the chassis and it would be a classic late 19th century "long boiler" 0-6-0

Steam-locomotive-Stephenson-Long-Boiler.jpg.cca61b80c8d506577af8e6b3b52a10df.jpg

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, scots region said:

It might be worth extending the bunker, it would make it look more balanced, and give it a bit more theoretical coal. Or keep it as a very beefy shunter. 

I do have another 3MT body, badly repainted from my early days of customisation…

At the same time, I’ve already made it big enough, do we really need a 4-6-6T? Hell, if it ends up being too long I’d probably end up with something like a 4-6-8!

I’ll keep it in mind, but it’s not something I’m desperate to do, given how it’s simply bodged together from spare parts, no thought was really put into designing it, haha.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I was scratching my head over this one till I realised...... the chassis is back to front. 

Reverse the chassis and it would be a classic late 19th century "long boiler" 0-6-0

Steam-locomotive-Stephenson-Long-Boiler.jpg.cca61b80c8d506577af8e6b3b52a10df.jpg

I was thinking along the same lines.

Alternatively, shorten the boiler to bring the firebox forwards a bit so that it sits over the space between the real pairs of coupled wheels.

One of the Tyneside collieries converted a Metropolitan 4-4-0T into an 0-6-0 and the asymmetrical wheelbase looked pretty similar. There's a photo in "Main Line to Industry" I'll dig it out and post it when I get home.

• Like 4