Liverpool Lime Street cutting wall collapse

Normally only as a temporary back up if the conventional power supply failed. The OLE supply would be less reliable, and it is would be a bit of a pain when isolations are required for OLE maintenance or repairs. I have a feeling that at a few locations it was the primary source, but in those places there must have been a very good reason why the conventional power supply for the signals was impractical.

Going from past experience all signalling is now feed from mains supply and OHL is only used for back up when the mains power supply fails. When the OHL has come down in the past it normally cause a short in the track circuits due to power surge causing a fuse or two to blow in the relay for the track circuit.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Drivers are allowed to coast when they loose the line light, and they can coast a fair old distance, 3 or 4 miles being quite easily done. If they have an ADD (ie the Auto Down Detector activates (a bit of the carbon has come off and is allowing the airpressure to leak out from the holes under the carbons, causing the pan to drop)) they need to come to a stand ASAP, so that the effects on the OHLE can be seen by them... Then again they have to tell the bobbie that that have had an ADD, its strange how it tends to become a loss of line light......

The signalling feed does come from the 650vdc signalling feed (or local mains rectification) with the OHLE as a back-up. Its not left running from the OHLE for long if it can be helped.

I've had the 650V feed drop out here before now (well some idiot dug through it!) and its very odd having no indications at all (and the box went very dark as it was on nights....).

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

If people are 'getting off' at Edge Hill, wouldn't that mean as spike in the birth rate in 9 month's time!...

In Cardiff when I was a lad, the euphemism was 'getting off at Barry Dock' or the girl went 'all the way to Barry Island'.  If she was a bit of a tease she got off at Cadoxton; hardly worth the bother.  I caused a bit of a stir by claiming to know how to go down through the tunnel to Barry Pier!

If people are 'getting off' at Edge Hill, wouldn't that mean as spike in the birth rate in 9 month's time!...

In Cardiff when I was a lad, the euphemism was 'getting off at Barry Dock' or the girl went 'all the way to Barry Island'.  If she was a bit of a tease she got off at Cadoxton; hardly worth the bother.  I caused a bit of a stir by claiming to know how to go down through the tunnel to Barry Pier!

In the early 80s the industrial premises immediately to the north of Broad Green station was occupied by a distributor of a famous British fork-lift manufacturer. They used to have a big poster overlooking the station platform, which read "Why get off at Edge Hill when you can have a Climax at Broad Green?"

Jim

Apparently the "getting off at Edge Hill" originally came from when the train stopped at Edge Hill and was then wound down to Lime Street by stationary engine.

It was quicker to get off and get a horse drawn cab into town. Or even walk.

It wasn't until 1870 when this practice stopped.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_Lime_Street_railway_station

Jason

Pedant mode on: trains ran from Edge Hill to Lime Street by gravity and without a loco but with a suitable number of braked vehicles - which didn't always prevent stop block collisions! The stationary engines were used only to draw the trains up to Edge Hill where the loco was attached.

Pedant mode off!

In the early 80s the industrial premises immediately to the north of Broad Green station was occupied by a distributor of a famous British fork-lift manufacturer. They used to have a big poster overlooking the station platform, which read "Why get off at Edge Hill when you can have a Climax at Broad Green?"

Jim

Still there Jim - And so is the sign, or it was just before Christmas !!

11856653_904269482992879_1911024790_n.jp

Scouse humor - can't be beaten.

Brit15

• RMweb Premium

I've had the 650V feed drop out here before now (well some idiot dug through it!) and its very odd having no indications at all (and the box went very dark as it was on nights....).

Andy G

Given railway signalling is fail safe, the loss of the signalling supply should actually cause the for the box diagram to light up like a Christmas tree as all the track circuits show occupied rather than go blank (which means clear of course).

You also get this at power boxes when the telecoms transmission links to remote relay rooms fail so the panel doesn't know whats going on in the area controlled from that relay room.

If the box supply is lost (and the backup doesn't work / there isn't one) then yes everything will go blank but these days signal boxes and the power supply to the outside kit are not normally fed by the same supply feeder (apart from older mechanical boxes perhaps) so you would usually be talking about a significant national grid outage to kill both.

• RMweb Premium

Its an interesting point Phil, but I believe that fringe boxes are supplied on a 650v feed from the power box. Now when that cable gets cut there is no standby in the fringes to switch over to local supply, so we go stone dead. Doesn't happen often mind (twice in 9 years...)

Andy G

Archived