The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

BT and Open Reach to separate

250BOB

I heard on the news tonight that at last the watchdog has decided finally to separate the two businesses..!!

One of the main reasons given on the main news this evening was that Open Reach were giving priority to BT when it came to repairs, installations etc.,

Well, how about this then.............my son moved house almost 5 months ago.....he had been a BT customer for over twenty years, phones, broadband , BTsport etc., 

After almost 5 months trying to get a phone line installed in his new house in town, which is a house surrounded by many others with Broadband etc.,...he finally gave up and cancelled everything with BT......the whole lot...!!!

He then rang Talk Talk, who said they could install everything he wanted in 10 days, that 10th day was on Monday this week, the 6th of March.

Guess what.....when he got up for work that morning 7.30am.....he had a phone line, he had broadband etc etc

Open Reach and Talk Talk performed heir tasks to the letter as promised.   BT are completely C**P.  My son has spent hours on the phone with BT over this 5 months, he was even given a BT case worker dedicated to him, with a direct line to them.......BT are absolutely rubbish.

• RMweb Premium

Yes but you forget, BT *used* to be a telecommunications company, sadly for the last 5 years or more it has been a rival to Rupert Murdoch, and so all the service aspect has disappeared out of the window, as its now no-longer interested in telecoms...

I'm so glad I left BT before it got itself into this ridiculous position.

I wonder if my broadband fault has been fixed yet? Speed fell off a cliff edge about a month ago, and it was supposed to be fixed today....

Andy G

We have just left BT for Sky, BT put up the cost of supply to us, refused to give us an updated router, even though we had been with them for years, then when we called to discuss the issue with them they cut us off and didn't call back. We called Sky to find out if they had any deals, they did, they even offered us a massive discount if we took the basic TV package (we already had a sky box but haven't used it for about a year), then, even better, they offered me another discount on F1, hooray. As we have to give notice to BT Sky gave us the first months TV, line rental and sports F1 for free. The TV was on within seconds.

If BT got their heads out of their rear ends and stopped paying so many footballers wages, they might be able to fund the provision of services that they should be providing.

• RMweb Premium

Well my broadband fault has been 'resolved' according to BT, so this morning I reopened the fault with a lot more of an upset stance. They have admitted that its a cable/cabinet fault, and I'm guessing its down to the fact that there are no spare good pairs left back to the exchange that is the problem. 11 days they have done nothing about the fault, and then they are selective with the truth when you talk to them....

Bring back the days when they actually ran a communications service, rather than a tv one.

Andy G

Well my broadband fault has been 'resolved' according to BT, so this morning I reopened the fault with a lot more of an upset stance. They have admitted that its a cable/cabinet fault, and I'm guessing its down to the fact that there are no spare good pairs left back to the exchange that is the problem. 11 days they have done nothing about the fault, and then they are selective with the truth when you talk to them....

Bring back the days when they actually ran a communications service, rather than a tv one.

Andy G

Sign-on to the support forums at https://community.bt.com/ and get the moderators involved. Failing that, email:

libby.barr@bt.com

The lady is the Customer Services CEO. Set out the history of your problem in a clear and polite manner and you will get a very helpful response from someone who can seriously get things done. I know this works, I have done it twice myself after exhausting other routes.

John

• RMweb Gold

I think *all* Broad Band providers should pay into a pot (Open Reach perhaps, if it was truly independent), the pot is then proportioned between "City" (high return) installations and "Rural" (low return) installations so that although low return lags behind in the upgrade stakes, it does get some of the monies available. Where I live stands zero chance of an upgrade unless we have a major fault, which will probably then take ages to resolve - we live in a hamlet with a few houses but a copper cable direct to the exchange - these are designated as lowest priority for upgrade by BT.

My own experiences show that BT are utter tosh - their call centre kept closing my faults as "Completed" and so no-one turned up - until I rang, asked if the call was being recorded "Yes Sir - for training" "Good - there are bare wires hanging off the pole in my garden, caused by your contractors, if anyone dies it will be your fault" - the engineers arrived the next day and fixed the fault (and showed me the log of cancelled calls). When I complained they did give us a good compensation but I bet the idiot who was cancelling calls without them being fixed continued to do so. The Open Reach guys turned up as soon as they had a report of the issue, for the 5 weeks previously they had not been told of the fault and therefore no-one was assigned the work.

I agree with the sentiments above - BT should quit paying huge sums of money for bladder chasing one night wonders and concentrate on delivering a telecomms good service.

I think *all* Broad Band providers should pay into a pot (Open Reach perhaps, if it was truly independent), the pot is then proportioned between "City" (high return) installations and "Rural" (low return) installations so that although low return lags behind in the upgrade stakes, it does get some of the monies available. Where I live stands zero chance of an upgrade unless we have a major fault, which will probably then take ages to resolve - we live in a hamlet with a few houses but a copper cable direct to the exchange - these are designated as lowest priority for upgrade by BT.

My own experiences show that BT are utter tosh - their call centre kept closing my faults as "Completed" and so no-one turned up - until I rang, asked if the call was being recorded "Yes Sir - for training" "Good - there are bare wires hanging off the pole in my garden, caused by your contractors, if anyone dies it will be your fault" - the engineers arrived the next day and fixed the fault (and showed me the log of cancelled calls). When I complained they did give us a good compensation but I bet the idiot who was cancelling calls without them being fixed continued to do so. The Open Reach guys turned up as soon as they had a report of the issue, for the 5 weeks previously they had not been told of the fault and therefore no-one was assigned the work.

I agree with the sentiments above - BT should quit paying huge sums of money for bladder chasing one night wonders and concentrate on delivering a telecomms good service.

On the theme of compensation......if BT make an appointment for the engineer to visit you, and then you fail to be in....the fine is about £100 / £150....I forget the exact amount.

However.......if you stay in and wait for them....but THEY do not turn up.........you can fine them....£10

• RMweb Gold

I don't think it matters who you are with, I'm on Virgin (NTL) Cable with a box right outside (within 50') and the service is pretty dire sometimes, email drops out half way through typing a message and the speed is up and down like a yo yo. When you report to Virgin they say "No problems in your area"

I don't think it matters who you are with, I'm on Virgin (NTL) Cable with a box right outside (within 50') and the service is pretty dire sometimes, email drops out half way through typing a message and the speed is up and down like a yo yo. When you report to Virgin they say "No problems in your area"

Sounds like. "We are providing a service to our own complete satisfaction". I too am on Virgin and starting to look elsewhere.

• RMweb Premium

I phoned BT today... result a reduction in my bills and some additional services added.

However, I can't get Infinity (and we are not out in the wilds but live in N W Leeds).. despite the fact that the local exchange has the fibres connected as have the  "green box" nearest my home....

The split will make it easier for the City to make loads of money selling the smaller chunks off.....it won't improve service...

Baz

• RMweb Premium

Sadly you don't get 'Service' from privatised utilities. The privatisation of the countries basic services is only for one thing, the personal gain of those who can afford to by shares.

Sadly the common thinking is that every company should make money, whereas public services (Like transport, utilities and healthcare) will at best struggle to do so, and at worse will loose money hand over fist. The problem with services is that there are services, and as such, they should be nationalised and should aim to be self supporting, although that may be impossible to reach.

For the greater good...

Andy G

(whos leaving it there before I get too political)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm the same. The box is outside my window .

Just recently I'm resetting my wireless router several times a day.

When you get to speak to someone they tell you they can see several devices connected and they see no fault.

We only went with NTL as BT didn't offer broadband when we moved here and dial up was slow.

Archived