Little Muddle

KNP

Aerial view from the Squadron Leader showing the current steam loco's for Little Muddle.

1511.jpg.3979c37cedad92aa132c47cf23764d3c.jpg

I have decided that I need some proper storage boxes for the stock so have purchased a double set from KR Storage.

Now most of the rolling stock has been packed away, least it saves me having to dust it....!

Layouts looks a bit bare at the moment as there only the auto train on the track.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 12

Work progressing slow on the Dean Goods.

Crew ordered for this and King from Modelu.

Waiting for new etched numbers to arrive, will become 2322.

Still deciding on whether to do a rolled up cab/tender sheet?

A quick phone picture to show progress, loco needs some Dullcote before proceeding.

All black plastic been repainted in black/grey.

Can't see it but pipework/levers in cab painted.

IMG_0452.JPG.dc814aeb84c4ebe9a2fda7ecc909a71d.JPG

Edited by KNP
  • Like 18

It didn't look too bad to start with, but the repainted black is a significant step. I have tended to paint my loco black bits with Humbrol Matt black, and, funnily enough, it’s too black, and it doesn’t look right. I suspect you’ve just set me on a crash course to repaint a lot of smokeboxes...

Cheers

Simon

It didn't look too bad to start with, but the repainted black is a significant step. I have tended to paint my loco black bits with Humbrol Matt black, and, funnily enough, it’s too black, and it doesn’t look right. I suspect you’ve just set me on a crash course to repaint a lot of smokeboxes...

Cheers

Simon

Sorry about that but unless it's for high lighting I rarely use black, or white come to that, on their own it's always with a hint of something, normally grey, to knock the edge of the colour.

Just read the entirety of your thread, and can simply say the same as everybody else - simply exquisite modelling of the highest order, and inspirational at every turn.

I realised yesterday that I have the copy of BRM featuring your layout ... but upon checking, discovered it was the last magazine my father "categorised" i.e. tore apart into separate pages for "archiving" before he lost interest in reading, so I have found a half page photo of the harbour steps - the rest has gone! Thankfully, your amazing photos and thread more than compensates.

To clarify, my father has Alzheimer's with dementia, and his lifelong habit of only keeping parts of magazines he was interested in, felt was useful for his own modelling or simply inspirational was one of the last vestiges of his former self that we lost. Typically, it just happened to be a magazine that I would have found useful/informative!

Please keep the modelling and photos coming - this armchair modeller has learnt a lot simply reading posts from the likes of yourself, Andy Peters and the ilk.

Steve S

Just read the entirety of your thread, and can simply say the same as everybody else - simply exquisite modelling of the highest order, and inspirational at every turn.

I realised yesterday that I have the copy of BRM featuring your layout ... but upon checking, discovered it was the last magazine my father "categorised" i.e. tore apart into separate pages for "archiving" before he lost interest in reading, so I have found a half page photo of the harbour steps - the rest has gone! Thankfully, your amazing photos and thread more than compensates.

To clarify, my father has Alzheimer's with dementia, and his lifelong habit of only keeping parts of magazines he was interested in, felt was useful for his own modelling or simply inspirational was one of the last vestiges of his former self that we lost. Typically, it just happened to be a magazine that I would have found useful/informative!

Please keep the modelling and photos coming - this armchair modeller has learnt a lot simply reading posts from the likes of yourself, Andy Peters and the ilk.

Steve S

Thank you very much for the kind words and sorry to hear about your father.

I plan to keep posting for as long as can keep moving ahead with Little Muddle or before you lot get fed up with another picture with a tree in it!!!!!!

• Like 2

I took this picture to see how things where looking on 2322 colour/weathering wise and thought, well, I might as well post it.

DG8.jpg.f87669acc674ea4307a6c38a01918b2b.jpg

This probably my favourite photo angle, takes a while to set it up as the camera is under remote control via the i-phone, sitting in the lane and angled unwards.

There has been a slight bit of photo editing done, can anyone spot it???

Edited by KNP
  • Like 13

Couple more taken, still debating whether to add the footplate awning or not!

DG9.jpg.1f06351f254c6e893ee06f6391cd78f7.jpg

DG10.jpg.b0080e418f91e075dae3b23018decbc1.jpg

Camera hand held for these shots so hence slight focusing issue, even though I stopped breathing to take them...….

I assume the hole in the front angled plate above the buffer beam is for the starting handle?!?!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 13

Nearly done on the Dean Goods.....

I find that a couple of coats of Dullcote and then some very watered down roof dirt can change the tone/appearance of the finished result no end.

Still a bit more to go especially around the main chassis.

Lovely work Kevin,

how do you apply the weathering materials? Spray or brush?

Colin

Lovely work Kevin,

how do you apply the weathering materials? Spray or brush?

Colin

Thanks

The only spray is the Dullcote matt varnish, the rest is by brush either painted as normal, washes or dry brush.

Humbrol powders used to finish off.

I find with the Dullcote normally three quick blasts over the either model from about 300mm away leaving plenty of time for it to dry works as this gives a minimal relief to the surface which the weathering finish can pick up on.

The bodywork of the loco is Lifecolor roof dirt applied as a very thin wash, sometimes more than once, but always in a top to bottom direction.

Kevin,

Just to be ultra-clear, the whole loco is washed downwards with the Lifecolor roof dirt paint wash?

This will require bravery...

It’s acrylic, so if I don’t like it, washing it off is going to be impractical. I’ve used enamels, but they are easily worked on for an hour or so after they’re notionally “dry”, by applying more thinners. This approach doesn’t work with acrylics.

I think I’ll try a wagon first!

Best

Simon

Kevin,

Just to be ultra-clear, the whole loco is washed downwards with the Lifecolor roof dirt paint wash?

This will require bravery...

It’s acrylic, so if I don’t like it, washing it off is going to be impractical. I’ve used enamels, but they are easily worked on for an hour or so after they’re notionally “dry”, by applying more thinners. This approach doesn’t work with acrylics.

I think I’ll try a wagon first!

Best

Simon

I first apply the roof dirt (see post 2779) onto the original paint of the model then with a damp cotton bud can scrub most of it off leaving areas to form shadow lines to raised, or recessed areas.

Normally the washes I use are very weak, never measured the exact mix rather just gauge it from what I have done previously but I estimate it would be in the area of only 10% paint to water.

Then after scrubbing the Dullcote gets applied and when thoroughly dry apply the vertical wash over the top, again the same mix is used in a sort of random application using a small flat brush.

When using washes this way I find little is best as it is easier to build up to the effect rather than overdo it with a thicker wash.

When all is done a quick blast of Dullcote again and then any powders applied as required.

It’s acrylic, so if I don’t like it, washing it off is going to be impractical.

It washes off with water applied with a cotton bud or cloth, or even a stiff brush/toothbrush. I use similar acrylic washes for my weathering. You are best washing off almost at once, though leaving it to partly dry gives different, heavier effects. I find this excellent on goods vehicles and coaches that I want to be dirtier as it collects nicely in the nooks and crannies around bolt heads, strapping, framing and panelling.

Go on be a devil and add the awning!!

DG 9.jpg

DG 10.jpg

Camera hand held for these shots so hence slight focusing issue, even though I stopped breathing to take them...….

I assume the hole in the front angled plate above the buffer beam is for the starting handle?!?!

attachicon.gifDG 9.jpg

attachicon.gifDG 10.jpg

the weather sheets were often removed from Locos during summer months, if you decide not to add it, there's your excuse

the weather sheets were often removed from Locos during summer months, if you decide not to add it, there's your excuse

Thanks

The layout is modelled in the summer so it would be feasible.

Trying to find some decent pictures of the is proving interesting....