Little Muddle

KNP

Given how numerous and how widespread their use was I always thought it a tragedy that no Dean Goods was preserved in steamable condition. I know it does not appeal to some but a new build of one would be extremely popular I think.

(then again I'd love to see a new build Metro tank, a 2-4-2 birdcage tank and an 850 class saddletank as well... among several others...)

• Like 2

I’m not at home this weekend, so can’t check, but I have a copy of the Oxford Press GW road vehicles book. I am 99% sure it will confirm that all vehicles had a company number.

Will respond further tomorrow!

Best

Simon

I may get rather grubby tomorrow as I intend to crawl under the one preserved Dean Goods locomotive ( more specifically the tender ) at Steam in Swindon !

attachicon.gifIMG_4304.JPG

I need to finish off the under gubbins to finish this off

Very much looking forward to seeing it again.

Oh! And there's an exhibition there too !

G

Grahame,

I’m guessing you won’t find the underside of a whopping great ring-field motor under there!

Best

Simon

Grahame,

I’m guessing you won’t find the underside of a whopping great ring-field motor under there!

Best

Simon

Hi Simon,

As it happens .......

I did try but failed abysmally despite my best efforts, the tender is separate from the loco and surrounded by a protective "fence" thereby making any inspection impossible!

I did approach some staff members but as usual " Sorry Sir, it's Elf N' Insanity so we cannot allow you to go beyond the fenced area".

Never mind I'll get there with those details I would like to incorporate one day.

Grahame

On 08/09/2018 at 23:20, bgman said:

Hi Simon,

As it happens .......

I did try but failed abysmally despite my best efforts, the tender is separate from the loco and surrounded by a protective "fence" thereby making any inspection impossible!

I did approach some staff members but as usual " Sorry Sir, it's Elf N' Insanity so we cannot allow you to go beyond the fenced area".

Never mind I'll get there with those details I would like to incorporate one day.

Grahame

I take it then you haven't one of these to contend with?

IMG_0435.JPG.4435f0fb0eb0af56b037199a28601ab4.JPG

Luckily H & S was very limited in the 30's so there was no fenced off areas, I just had to use some common sense!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 3

‘‘Tis a pain in the whotsits, and you’d think that they could make an exception for an adult with common sense, an obvious interest and some knowledge, but, otoh, if someone’s grandchild falls over under there or gets trapped, or injured...

You can just imagine the tabloid accusation-fest, and the no-win-no-fee parasites, and all the typically nasty comments the great unwashed like to make about people who have a hobby other than football hooliganism.

So, from the museum’s point of view, accommodating said adult is probably low on the priority list.

Ho hum...

Anyway, more practically, what did you actually want to know/photograph?

Best

Simon

‘‘Tis a pain in the whotsits, and you’d think that they could make an exception for an adult with common sense, an obvious interest and some knowledge, but, otoh, if someone’s grandchild falls over under there or gets trapped, or injured...

You can just imagine the tabloid accusation-fest, and the no-win-no-fee parasites, and all the typically nasty comments the great unwashed like to make about people who have a hobby other than football hooliganism.

So, from the museum’s point of view, accommodating said adult is probably low on the priority list.

Ho hum...

Anyway, more practically, what did you actually want to know/photograph?

Best

Simon

Thank you Simon, I would tend to agree.

I will PM you when I'm home later and not hog Kevins thread with my modelling question.

Kind regards

Grahame

• RMweb Gold

I take it then you haven't one of these to contend with?

attachicon.gifIMG_0435.JPG

Luckily H & S was very limited in the 30's so there was no fenced off areas, I just had to use some common sense!

You could do away with that big lump completely if you used the built Comet loco chassis I have going spare. ;)

You could do away with that big lump completely if you used the built Comet loco chassis I have going spare. ;)

Sounds interesting, send me a PM with the details if would be so kind and we can discuss.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

I was going spare trying to fit the motor in my High Level Kits chassis. The whole project was almost as expensive as the Oxford Rail

model !

All is quiet,

Not a loco is stirring,

Nothing to be seen,

Nothing in fact is moving...

All so peaceful and at rest, waiting for...…?

Encombe Town - deserted

1534.jpg.3a8b0c8d295ae211ff4fa897a04ac13a.jpg

Little Muddle - deserted

1535.jpg.3b61e5a8182d3ebf393a5094c4ecc147.jpg

Passengers but no service....!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 16

My new toy arrived yesterday whilst out visiting Gilbert of Peterborough North fame.

Wish I had had it yesterday but now I can get even more unusal pictures and angles.

IMG_0496.JPG.bbde4a00d6c6c50273bb97de1811a0e2.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG.cbc033ab582dc050bfd40d71bd353a3c.JPG

IMG_0498.JPG.c2faff7ec0249777f4a84105f4daaf19.JPG

It is the Uniloc 1700 system tripod with articulated arm and a Benbo swivel head.

Secondhand off ebay and the above pictures where the first time I had set it up over the layout.

One word of warning to you though, and to me come to that, it's heavy and well built so when adjusting don't let it slip otherwise I can see it taking out what ever it lands on.....!

I will post the layout pictures later.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

You'll need another tripod, of course, so that you can take photos of the first one from unusual angles...

:jester:

P.S. I was reading yesterday about Allan Downes not modelling parts of buildings that could not be seen. That's really not an option for you, is it!?

Edited by Harlequin

You'll need another tripod, of course, so that you can take photos of the first one from unusual angles...

:jester:

P.S. I was reading yesterday about Allan Downes not modelling parts of buildings that could not be seen. That's really not an option for you, is it!?

It used to be until I got this compact camera!

• RMweb Gold

Liking the new angles, Kevin, but I'm finding myself increasingly stressed by the lack of head and tail lamps on your trains.  Why don't your signalmen do something about it, like reporting it!

Seriously, I think your photos would greatly improved by their inclusion; in fact, this is probably the only improvement that can be made to your excellent modelling and photography.  Good luck with the Benbo; a friend has one and provides us with hours of amusement wrestling with it, but they are incredibly versatile.

• Like 1

Liking the new angles, Kevin, but I'm finding myself increasingly stressed by the lack of head and tail lamps on your trains.  Why don't your signalmen do something about it, like reporting it!

Seriously, I think your photos would greatly improved by their inclusion; in fact, this is probably the only improvement that can be made to your excellent modelling and photography.  Good luck with the Benbo; a friend has one and provides us with hours of amusement wrestling with it, but they are incredibly versatile.

Thanks

I will endeavour to do something about it

I feel a visit to the Modelu site is in order to get some!