Little Muddle

KNP

Nice little loco, sort of fits in with this layout plus it wouldn't have been to heavy for the viaduct.

1508.jpg.ef58a8fc75be1caea079dbc9566a43e1.jpg

Looking at those cogs (which I had forgotten about) I think loco will always run cab first to Little Muddle.....because there aren't any on the other side?

Might even change the number as I don't like the red colour or the pre-printed numbers on the buffer beam so that will be repainted.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 11

Nice little loco, sort of fits in with this layout plus it wouldn't have been to heavy for the viaduct.

attachicon.gif1508.jpg

Looking at those cogs (which I had forgotten about) I think loco will always run cab first to Little Muddle.....because there aren't any on the other side?

Might even change the number as I don't like the red colour or the pre-printed numbers on the buffer beam so that will be repainted.

Very nice Kevin, I hadn't noticed the cogs, until I read your post.

Excellent.

Now this is thundering through Encombe Town station................!!!!!

attachicon.gif1503.jpg

attachicon.gif1502.jpg

Boy it's big, not used to large loco's is this layout.......

Arrived yesterday but I had to go and collect from sorting office...

Just need some coaches for it to pull!

That bogie looks wrong if the latest Hornby generation model (R3331) of same era is anything to go by.

Photos of the relevant bits, I've no knowledge about the prototype so I'll leave that to those who do,

post-26975-0-78880000-1534633285.jpgpost-26975-0-23627600-1534633297.jpg

Colin

• Like 1

That bogie looks wrong if the latest Hornby generation model (R3331) of same era is anything to go by.

Photos of the relevant bits, I've no knowledge about the prototype so I'll leave that to those who do,

attachicon.gifK 6011-2.JPGattachicon.gifK 6011-3.JPG

Colin

Yes, it is slightly.

Big gap between it and the main frame as well which I might conceal with a baffle panel to stop the background showing through.

It's the 2003 version and brought for a fraction of the cost of a new one.

As Little Muddle is mainly a branch line layout this train will only be seen on isolated occasions in the background...

Now to sort out some carriages for it!

Gwrrob has kindly pointed me in the right direction for the type to use.

• RMweb Premium

Morning Kevin,

Just spent an hour catching up with Little Muddle, superb as ever.

That scene at the creamery is great, but then so are all your other scenes. I particulry liked the lost traction engine. Is it a kit? I looked at Guagemaster yesterday and they only seemed to have Showmens engines.

Keep up the great work, your an inspiration.

Neal.

On 19/08/2018 at 06:18, Harlequin said:

Hi Kevin,

A Dean Goods is a lovely idea but I wonder if the Hornby version was the right choice? The Oxford Rail version might take less work to bring up to your high standards.

Agree but I brought this at a fifth of the cost of the Oxford Rail model....plus I fancied the challenge.

It is already on the work bench in pieces as I decide how much of the pile of coal I can remove...

IMG_0429.JPG.a4b4aa6881c11b971530ea4a20fe68aa.JPG

And how!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 3

Morning Kevin,

Just spent an hour catching up with Little Muddle, superb as ever.

That scene at the creamery is great, but then so are all your other scenes. I particulry liked the lost traction engine. Is it a kit? I looked at Guagemaster yesterday and they only seemed to have Showmens engines.

Keep up the great work, your an inspiration.

Neal.

Thanks Neal

Glad you enjoyed your catch up.

This is where Titan came from:

https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/products/fowler-b6-road-locomotive-pickfords-titan-76fow002

They have a good range, mainly Fowlers.

In response to Harlequin's and BWTrain's comments I was aware there would be some issues.

King Stephen for example has this massive gap for example between the front bogie and the underside of the main frame.

The bogie design looks OK to me

1509.jpg.2c21a790473445bb119e664cd4e75d70.jpg

My plan is to fit a false baffle panel to stop the background being seen....not looked at how yet

The Dean goods is a nice model and in this picture the boiler dart needs replacing.

The buffer beams look to orange and number looks wrong as well.

1510.jpg.4ed04e6cb4bd36337e92496bd4b74431.jpg

The tender is leaning because one of the wheels wasn't correctly on the track...…!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 14

In response to Harlequin's and BWTrain's comments I was aware there would be some issues.

King Stephen for example has this massive gap for example between the front bogie and the underside of the main frame.

The bogie design looks OK to me

attachicon.gif1509.jpg

My plan is to fit a false baffle panel to stop the background being seen....not looked at how yet

Kevin,

Something is seriously wrong, either in the original model design or in how this specific one is assembled. IMO it just looks bizarre.

This is the best photo I can come up with of the real thing, barely a hint of daylight between bogie and under-frame.

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/00-0-a-6000-swindon-1955-Photomatic.jpg

Then there's the DJM King that was going to be the definitive release

post-26975-0-26425500-1534671659_thumb.jpg

The most recent Hornby models are faithful to key elements of the front end

Colin

• RMweb Gold

Comparing the model to the image above, it can be seen that the frame ought to be as deep as the lower edge of the buffer beam, with just a slight cut out for the bogie wheels. The frame on the model is much too high and the cut out much too big.

I think a couple of things stand out on the model King.

The frames on the real loco are roughly level with the lower edge of the cylinders, and don’t have a whopping great cut out to clear the bogie wheels (they are, however dished, to provide clearance for the bogie to swing), and the centre line of the cylinders is in line with the wheels. I suspect the cylinders themselves are somewhat undernourished too.

The frames should be easy to sort out with a bit of black plasticard. The cylinders, otoh, may be more complex. Much depends on what kind of curve you want it to go around.

I’m also wondering if the whole body is sitting a couple of mm too high, seeing the footplate doesn’t align with the tender. Might be worth checking buffer height.

HTH

Simon

Simon

To be honest all I have done with the King was take it out of the box, check it was OK before doing feedback, and then placing on the track for the pictures.

I agree the main body looks to high and also about adding some black plastic card to reduce the gap.

The cylinders I will leave but carry out a paint job on them especially the motion gear feeding it.

Now to send a shiver down the spine of any die hard GWR purists out there, this loco only has a straight piece of main line track to run on of about 2.5m long, it isn't DCC ready and therefore I suspect it will never run.

I might even take the motor out like I did for the 43xx so no short circuits can happen.

It will only be used in photo's so will moved in the time honoured Little Muddle way of the big crane from the sky....!

You will be pleased to know the Dean Goods will be fully operational.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 8

Over the years (I had the Mainline model of the Dean Goods in the late 80s) no RTR Dean Goods has quite got the smoke box door right. It was a very peculiar and special dished shape at the rim with a small concave line inside the edge leading to a very gentle concave main door curve. Quite distinctive. As I said no RTR manufacturer has ever got this quite right and that's a pity as its a characterful feature. Even the new Hornby and Oxford Rail ones fail in this regard.

I think there are some white metal (or 3D print?) replacements around and I know there is a very nice 3D printed tender filler cap and dome available.

It depends how much a modeller wants to do.

post-25673-0-21839700-1453985461.jpg

dean-goods-locomotive-2442-1193027.jpg

I believe later locomotives had a more conventional smoke box door:

DeanGoods_2538_MerthyrStation_May12th195

It just doesn't have that same pretty, more delicate look as the "flanged" or "rimmed" door:

gwrwm415.jpg

EDIT: I may have got this wrong and it may be a difference between Wolverhampton and Swindon builds - I am sure someone with more correct information than I have at hand right now can clarify.

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

The smokebox door is shown very nicely in this photo:

gwrbsh55.jpg

The reason I came across this image, and it tallies with Martin's images, is the piled-high coal load...

Edit: To give this image proper attribution, it's 2309 at Birmingham Snow Hill, April 1914: http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrbsh55.htm

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 8

Indeed - an excuse to not have to remove any of the plastic coal, and just glue a layer of the real stuff on top.

True, but with that load even the bend from Encombe to Little Muddle taken at anything other than a snail's pace might result in disaster..

Still mulling over to how to reduce the height....it is possible.

You know - quart in a pint pot scenario!

attachicon.gif1508.jpg

Just wanted to say that I think any RTR loco straight from the box would look fantastic posed among that scenery!

Edited by Martin S-C

Agree but I brought this at a fifth of the cost of the Oxford Rail model....plus I fancied the challenge.

It is already on the work bench in pieces as I decide how much of the pile of coal I can remove...

attachicon.gifIMG_0429.JPG

And how!

Kevin,

If you ever consider replacing the DG chassis there is the option of using something like the Comet range of replacements.

http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/modules/viewcatpic.php/2/1023

I have used this for the DG loco and tender and are reasonably easy to assemble plus it gets rid of those awful tender gear wheels.

Grahame

Kevin,

If you ever consider replacing the DG chassis there is the option of using something like the Comet range of replacements.

http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/modules/viewcatpic.php/2/1023

I have used this for the DG loco and tender and are reasonably easy to assemble plus it gets rid of those awful tender gear wheels.

Grahame

an even better replacement is the high level kits DG chassis. Having built both, the high level kit is vastly superior