Little Muddle

KNP

Now this is not for the faint hearted and needs total faith in that all the fixing knobs are tight!

Yes the camera is hanging up side down over the layout and under remote operation.....

Balance needs to be right and this where a lightweight camera comes into its own

One slip and *******

IMG_0499.JPG.4e07248e81a635bc603e28fa9dd520dc.JPG

IMG_0500.JPG.ce6498e681c3c5149879a811198f3204.JPG

But boy, can I recommend one of these for getting into unusual places.

Pictures to follow when I have had a drink to calm my nerves

Edited by KNP
  • Like 18

Can you use it to get more track-level images ?  For example from the main lines, looking into the curve around the farm ?

Early days, Stu, still messing about working out how to exactly use it without taking half the scenery with it.

But I would expect so.

• Like 1

Kevin, that last picture looking up the yard to the stop blocks is superb. The colours you've used in the whole model work so well.

...and is there actually a designed fall in the engine shed guttering? If so, I don't think I've ever seen that modelled - and if its not meant to be like that then you are very fortunate in your accidents!

• RMweb Gold

You could also consider a mini video cam, mounted on a wagon. I have used one successfully, to examine the state of the track in hidden corners!

Not sure I want to know what's going on in my hidden corners, but this is a very good idea; Kudos, Mike!

• RMweb Gold

These new angles and close proximity to the action (or often inaction I suppose) are fantastic. The only drawback is that we're now so close in with the realistic viewpoints that it's noticeable that there aren't any telegraph wires on the poles. I'm not suggesting that you put them in as they would be totally counter productive as they'd make it impossible to get the camera down there to take the pictures! Maybe you need to train some spiders...

Kind regards, Neil

• RMweb Gold

Another picture but with the camera 'floating down the stream'...

attachicon.gif1544.jpg

With the camera suspended upside down, the view finder automatically will rotate to the correct view but not the picture stored in the memory.

So without investigating further, I just process the focus merge upside down and then rotate the correct way!

This brings armchair modelling to new heights!

How do you get such deep depth of field - I am looking at the train on the viaduct pic. Do you use a huge aperture or a long exposure, or both? Or is there some digital shenanigans going on?

I suppose you could call it digital shenanigans.

The camera I use, a Panasonic ZS 100, can do something called Post Focus.

What this involves is a 1 sec MP4 burst of video that uses the auto focus function of the camera to focus from macro to infinity.

Using a media reading program I can read and save each focal step and then running it through an editing suite - in this case Serif Affinity, I use the focus merge program that stacks all these images together making the focusing to be from 35mm (or thereabouts) to infinity.

That then makes the picture in focus all the way through the depth of field.

Takes a while, about 10 mins from start to finish for each pictures that I post using this method but the results speak for themselves - I hope.

Clever and sophisticated internal electronics it certainly is but I would now not be without it.

You can use a conventional DLSR to do this by using the focusing in manual mode, take a picture then moving the focusing ring a couple of small notches, taking another picture and so through the range....I used to do this with my Nikon D5100 but that took absolute ages. Then I would run it through an image stacking program - in my case that was Helicon Focus which I paid an annual subscription to use, which merged all the stepped focus images together - called stacking.

If your camera can manual focus then give it a go, most of these image stacking programs come with a 30 day free trail so nothing lost if it does work for you. 

I suppose you could call it digital shenanigans.

The camera I use, a Panasonic ZS 100, can do something called Post Focus...................

I use an Olympus E-M1 camera, which has two features called focus bracketing and focus stacking.  The first of these simply takes a series of photos, automatically changing the focus between each shot in small steps, while the latter goes a step further and combines up to 8 images into a single 'stacked' image, with an extended depth of field.  I describe it in more detail on my website at http://home.btconnect.com/mike.flemming/stacking.html

Back in post #2887, I mentioned using a mini-video camera for track inspection.  I've written about it in my blog at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1405/entry-12761-search-and-rescue/ and also show a video taken from a train on my narrow gauge layout at this link