Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold

I don't think Encombe is the local depot, though?

If not, then the depot name depends on where the alternate reality bubble that contains Little Muddle and Encombe merges into the real 1930s network. Is the depot in the bubble or is the local depot a real place?

Edited by Harlequin

• RMweb Gold

Correct, a 2x1 SW supporting frame was constructed with 2x2 bearers for additional support built first and then the modules lifted into place.

Even the bridge module was two pieces where the section with the derelict house could lift off.

So much easier when you can work on smaller boards, not always possible as the corner boards with the trees was built insitu but this meant I had to start at the back and work forwards....

That is an excellent idea and I might go that route with some of my own 'harder to reach' scenes. Any pictures showing this construction. Perhaps showing a module in place and another showing what it looks like with the module removed to see how it is built.

Thanks

Colin

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Encombe sounds West Country generally to me, rather than particularly Cornish.  Little Muddle has a bit of a South Dorset feel to my mind; I am influenced by the Puddles (though do not claim to be a martyr to them) I suppose.  Combe is found in Ilfracombe, which is North Devon, Combe Down in Bath, and other places.  It is an anglicisation of the Welsh 'Cwm', meaning a valley; remember that the language of the Britons, Brithonic that modern Welsh, and Cornish, evolved from was spoken across the entire southern half of Britain and as far up as Strathclyde in Roman times and for a while afterwards until the Anglo-Saxon immigrations overwhelmed it and drove it to the western fringes that it still lingers in.  Welsh Brythonic elements in the English names of towns and villages, also geographical features like the River Avon, are very common.

Cornish names, Tre Pol and Pen and all that, are more typical to that area and very similar to Welsh; Tre and Pen are common to both languages, meaning town and head, end, or top respectively; Pol is similar to the Welsh 'Pwll', a pool or creek, and the 'Pill' variant occurs all along the English part of the Bristol Channel and Severn Estuary.  Pwll can also mean pit, and Pwll Mawr, Big Pit, at Blaenafon (in front of the river) is well known.  

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Encombe sounds West Country generally to me, rather than particularly Cornish.  Little Muddle has a bit of a South Dorset feel to my mind; I am influenced by the Puddles (though do not claim to be a martyr to them) I suppose.  Combe is found in Ilfracombe, which is North Devon, Combe Down in Bath, and other places.  It is an anglicisation of the Welsh 'Cwm', meaning a valley; remember that the language of the Britons, Brithonic that modern Welsh, and Cornish, evolved from was spoken across the entire southern half of Britain and as far up as Strathclyde in Roman times and for a while afterwards until the Anglo-Saxon immigrations overwhelmed it and drove it to the western fringes that it still lingers in.  Welsh Brythonic elements in the English names of towns and villages, also geographical features like the River Avon, are very common.

Cornish names, Tre Pol and Pen and all that, are more typical to that area and very similar to Welsh; Tre and Pen are common to both languages, meaning town and head, end, or top respectively; Pol is similar to the Welsh 'Pwll', a pool or creek, and the 'Pill' variant occurs all along the English part of the Bristol Channel and Severn Estuary.  Pwll can also mean pit, and Pwll Mawr, Big Pit, at Blaenafon (in front of the river) is well known.  

So somewhere in the Midlands then...

• Like 1

And yet, Tre, Pol or Pen do not exist in any of the major Towns / City's in Cornwall, Truro, Bodmin, Wadebridge, Launceston, etc, with the main exception being Penzance.

Hi Kevin. I've much enjoyed this thread for some time now and think Little Muddle is just exquisite. Like you I am a fan of Scalescenes brick papers and I am currently finishing off their medium station and I was wondering how you glaze your windows. I usually use Brassmasters Windows for all my structures, whether Scalescenes or wholly scratch built with a perspex backing from a Bachman wagon box but was wondering if you, or anyone else has successfully used one of the various glue n glaze products available?

Thanks

Most of my windows are Brassmaster or LCut, some are hybrids where I adapt to suit or I make my own.

The scrapbox comes it play as well utilising bits salvaged or saved from old models etc.

Non of my windows are glazed and most are backed by textured black card.

The only time I have used glue n glaze was to fix the glazing in my coaches.

• Like 1

Encombe sounds Cornish to me, possibly South Devon. Kevin - where is Little Muddle?

In my mind...……

Not a  lot in there at present so it's rattling about a bit,

ahhh there it is -  the layout was conceived as being SW of the Bristol/Bath area

Edited by KNP
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I find coffee stirrers, one per incumbent, works well. Each chappie can then go have a rest while you abuse his team mates.Why am I having a Village People YMCA moment now.

attachicon.gifDsc00865.jpg

Yet another use for coffee stirrers; is there no end to value of these indispensable items.  It's fun to stay...

• RMweb Premium

And yet, Tre, Pol or Pen do not exist in any of the major Towns / City's in Cornwall, Truro, Bodmin, Wadebridge, Launceston, etc, with the main exception being Penzance.

In the world of the Mid-Cornwall Lines Tregissey, Polperran and Pentowan are significant places.

• Like 4

I've just read this thread from beginning to end, after searching for it following the 'ground cover' piece at the end of the most recent BRM.

Astonishing. Just astonishing.

I intend to thieve as many of your techniques as I can reasonably get away with!

Regards,
Gavin

• RMweb Gold

Non of my windows are glazed and most are backed by textured black card.

Am I the only one who had to read this twice (and then gasp in astonishment)?  Seems counter-intuitive (shades of Bilteezi kits and all that), but I've been scrolling back through your thread looking again at your exquisite buildings, and by heck it works. 

(But I think the engine shed is glazed?)

• Like 1

Am I the only one who had to read this twice (and then gasp in astonishment)?  Seems counter-intuitive (shades of Bilteezi kits and all that), but I've been scrolling back through your thread looking again at your exquisite buildings, and by heck it works. 

(But I think the engine shed is glazed?)

I decided years ago that when you look at a building from the same distance as we look at model the windows appear black - unless there is a light on of course then that defeats this argument.

Curtains or blinds is all that sticks out as well.

So nearly all my buildings have a textured black sheet fixed to the rear of the glazing, why textured so it doesn't have a sheen when a light source is played on it.

There are exceptions of course namely the Engine Shed and part of the Goods Shed have windows you can see through but again I decided on no glazing to them as I didn't want the reflections when taking pictures.

• Like 2

I've just read this thread from beginning to end, after searching for it following the 'ground cover' piece at the end of the most recent BRM.

Astonishing. Just astonishing.

I intend to thieve as many of your techniques as I can reasonably get away with!

Regards,

Gavin

Thanks and most of what I do has been cribbed, tweaked or adapted from what I've seen over the years so feel free and if you come up with any new ideas!!!!

Then, the real reason for using it, was that he had just obtained a Moment 18mm wide angle clip on lens.

These are the result

post-8925-0-66204200-1533365608_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-44619800-1533365621_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-36258700-1533365634_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-69272000-1533365648_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-30215400-1533365665_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-76011200-1533365675_thumb.jpg

All in all a good lens with no noticeable loss of  picture quality, able to get phone camera in close but still get a much wider view than normally.

DoF even appeared good.

Colour a bit washed in places but then I didn't mess about with any settings.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

For those less tech savvy who are wondering what Kev is talking about, he has asked the ace aerial photographer and intrepid Sqn Ldr to demonstrate the new wide angle clip on lens.

Here he is, ably assisted by one of his ‘erks’ Aircraftsman Snodgrass:

post-6818-0-47379600-1533378946_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1