Little Muddle

KNP

Looks rather like those books where you have to stare at the fuzzy lines until you finally get an image within the picture.

M.Igraine

• RMweb Gold

And here's what not to do.

As I couldn't see the viewfinder I had the camera remotely controlled by my iPhone so the the image the camera was seeing was displayed on the phone screen.

Inadvertently I must have pressed the take button on the phone as I was moving the loco resulting in this

attachicon.gif1412.jpg

This was what I was after.....

attachicon.gif1413.jpg

But then after all that I didn't like the result as there was to much bleeding around some of the edges!!!

Looks like another Maradona moment to me...

Kevin

This is just tremendous.

Rob

Thanks

What I have noticed is that I haven't put the shed back centrally over the track as the loco's funnel appears off centre of the smoke trough.

I'm still leaning on that fence staring into middle distance, better than sitting on it I suppose.

• Like 2

And here's one I built earlier......!!!!

P1080388.JPG.ab49151df0315f51c49b682a25f8ef47.JPG

As a birthday treat my son took me on a surprise trip to Didcot but boy.... was it hot, very hot!

By 1.30 we had nearly melted so decided to head for home.

Now this picture caused much amusement this afternoon.....

P1080375.JPG.3df1adb054e1ddf3786adc625c51c51c.JPG

Nobody could understand why.....????

But it did get the answers of how the cover plate  between loco and tender was fixed on the 43xx

P1080415.JPG.c892d05438df68020c4f23cec26b6797.JPG

Edited by KNP
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

"How do you confuse a (labourer-type person of differing nationality...) ?  Put two shovels against the wall and tell him to take his pick...." 

Edited by Stubby47

"How do you confuse a (labourer-type person of differing nationality...) ?  Put two shovels against the wall and tell him to take his pick...." 

Funny.

Nicely side stepped....!

After the galvanised dustbin debate and the removal of the ones I had used I realised something needed to fill the space.

So after seeing Phil Parker's CBC in the latest BRM it provided the answer.

Coal Bunker.

The first one was based on the one my parents had when we lived for a short while in a pre-fab near Amersham

1418.jpg.62e5fa9ceb3f4a15752c7aeae6860d64.jpg

The second one was based on the one my Nan had at her bungalow in Three Bridges

1419.jpg.0259ad5b7ae243d674449cd7bd025af0.jpg

Both where made from cheap grey card that provided a rough surface.

Metal lid and lift plate was thin plastic card.

The grey colour of the card was left but I dry brushed grey white over the surface to highlight, then a roof dirt wash to all edges and joints with an olive green wash to age it.

Hinge to lifting lid is painted card and the wooden lid is what I had left over from the derelict barn.

Neither are fitted they are just stood there for the pictures.

Now for some coal buckets, shovel etc.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 17

I like that little timber store a lot as well, I'm inspired to do something similar at a larger scale at the timber merchants I have planned on my model.

Thanks

If you look at Banbury or Marley concrete coal bunkers they are many pictures of the types used.

Dimensions are a bit made up, based mine on a 1200mm square and 1000mm high, sizes vary as they did numerous ones based on the amount of coal you want to store, so I suspect mine are there or thereabouts.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1

My parents house had a set of three coal bunkers built in brick with wooden roofs that fully hinged up as per your first model. They took up a lot of space behind the garage and outside the kitchen. I am not sure why a domestic house would need three bunkers. Dad only ever part-filled two - one with compressed anthracite nuts for the Parkray fire with its back boiler in the lounge and another with household coal for the kitchen and front room (dining room) fire (which I don't ever recall being lit!)

I do remember watching the coal merchant's flat-bed lorry arriving - to my 4 or 5 year-old eyes it seemed huge but it was probably only a Bedford or Commer 3-tonner - and being amazed at how easily the men hefted those sacks of coal onto their backs, each was bigger than me and must have weighed tons!

This would have been between 1962 and about 1970. I do just recall the severe winter of 1962-63 when dad shovelled a path through 2-foot deep snow in the early morning then re-dug the same path in the mid-afternoon.

Hm. Sorry. Memories got fired up by the coal bunker thingy.

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 2

When we moved to a terraced house in 1959, Dad made the coal bunker out of timber, as did most of our neighbours. Nearby council houses had what looked like concrete bunkers with a sliding metal trap door. Some folk had a completely galvanised metal bunker unit, which they could order from the hardware shop, but not sure if that was later on. Oops - here we go again...off-topic history!!!

Edited by Marly51

Your roadside grasses and wild flowers are possibly the best I have ever seen outside Pendon - and perhaps on a par with that amazing model. You should be very proud of your achievements Kevin, this model is stunning and your photography is excellent as well... there even seems to be a train passenger who is looking down at the road engine.

Edited by Martin S-C