Little Muddle

KNP

I agree - beautiful detailing and very atmospheric!  The signal wire post is a reminder of how vulnerable this detailing is and of the care needed to maintain the ;layout in this condition.

I'm a little concerned about "that old tank wagon".  It can't be that old, as 6-wheel milk tanks were only introduced around 1931 (according to Wikipedia)  in addition, Wikipedia states that "The resultant wagons were kept very clean by both the dairies (who washed them at both ends of the journey), and the handling railway companies".  Your dairymen need to learn a little about care, from the big hand in the sky :)

Speaking of detail ... When are S&T coming to repair that signal wire post?

Lovely photo's .. lovely layout.  :yes:

Well they have, then after I had edited this picture it appears some local vandal has gone and knocked it over again...…

Repairs have been carried out - again.....

So to confirm this is the case the Squadron Leader has been scrambled and just sent back this picture by pigeon post!

post-8925-0-57595800-1538386768_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

Still quiet, it's almost as if all the rolling stock has been packed up and stored?

attachicon.gif1592.jpg

Excellent photo. I would almost be tempted (if it were mine) to Photoshop some greenery into the missing corner on the right - that might make it impossible to detect that it is a model.

Chaz

Excellent photo. I would almost be tempted (if it were mine) to Photoshop some greenery into the missing corner on the right - that might make it impossible to detect that it is a model.

Chaz

Thanks

I was tempted to but thought no, I will leave it as is so you can see exactly how wide the layout is....

• Like 2

Has it?

All the rolling stock, including loco's are in some nice cardboard boxes with foam inserts.

Main reason is that they where getting dusty, so they have all had a good clean and packed away until needed.

The only one out at the moment is King Stephen and that is because he is being worked on - painting the cab detail at present.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1

King Stephen progressing through the works.

Crew ready to be painted.

S&W coupling loops to be added and another coat of Dullcote needed but I have run out and have been waiting for weeks for 3 tins to arrive.

post-8925-0-90903200-1538481743_thumb.jpg

Do need to work out what to do with the glazed side window as the supplied ones look like Mr Magoo's glasses! but it does need the brass frame which is very prominent....

Pleased with the bogie as the gap does not hit you now.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

King Stephen progressing through the works.

Crew ready to be painted.

S&W coupling loops to be added and another coat of Dullcote needed but I have run out and have been waiting for weeks for 3 tins to arrive.

attachicon.gifKS6.jpg

Do need to work out what to do with the glazed side window as the supplied ones look like Mr Magoo's glasses! but it does need the brass frame which is very prominent....

Pleased with the bogie as the gap does not hit you now.

Brilliant modelling that Kevin a great upgrade. Also the pic where you didn’t infill the corner with the ruin barn has tone on of the best examples of modelling I’ve seen.

Cheers

Ade

The sun has come out, so as I had left everything set up I shot of a few more snaps.....

'The Power and The Majesty'

post-8925-0-13284700-1538487293_thumb.jpg

Sums it all up in one line about this loco - GWR at its very best 

• Like 16

Still quiet, it's almost as if all the rolling stock has been packed up and stored?

attachicon.gif1592.jpg

All the rolling stock, including loco's are in some nice cardboard boxes with foam inserts.

Main reason is that they where getting dusty, so they have all had a good clean and packed away until needed.

The only one out at the moment is King Stephen and that is because he is being worked on - painting the cab detail at present.

All ready for E-Bay and a change to the big boys toys? :no:  :no:  :sungum:  :sungum:  :O

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Dave, I see a mix of varnishes and dullcotes there, two of which I have but which only give a fairly satiny finish. Kevin's locos look nice and dull, so should I aim specifically for a "dullcote" product rather than a varnish?

https://www.testors.com/product-catalog/testors-brands/testors/lacquer-paint/top-coats-and-thinners/

Available in a jar or as a spray (usual disclaimer).

All ready for E-Bay and a change to the big boys toys? :no:  :no:  :sungum:  :sungum:  :O

Just saving on the dusting, plus every time I took some pictures I had to move the stock about to get the unwanted items out of shot.

I thought, it's not going to be long before I cause damage!!!

Thanks Dave, I see a mix of varnishes and dullcotes there, two of which I have but which only give a fairly satiny finish. Kevin's locos look nice and dull, so should I aim specifically for a "dullcote" product rather than a varnish?

Martin

I use Testors Dullcote varnish in a spray can - blue/white label.

Most of mind comes from Wargamming sites, I tend to buy a few cans at a time as the Royal Mail wont deliver anymore so it comes by courier - which can be nearly as expensive as one can. So I see how many you get for the same courier charge.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1

Yes, I have found it the best matt varnish out there and the spray the easiest to apply.

Remember the rules of spraying - start and finish before and after the model so you don't get blobs and many quick, light, coats are better than one heavy coat as they won't run.

I always spray outside because of the overspray and smell - wheelie bin is just the right height for a work bench and the revolving cake stand comes into it's own....

post-8925-0-95128200-1538551325_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Kevin, Do you weather and Dullcote locos with the body & chassis assembled? I'm always a bit wary of going near wheels & motion with paints & varnishes after a sticky experience!

John C.

Edited by checkrail

Kevin, Do you weather and Dullcote locos with the body & chassis assembled? I'm always a bit wary of going near wheels & motion with paints & varnishes after a sticky experience!

John C.

Not normally, the only reason I did the 43xx like that is that it doesn't have a motor.....

King Stephen was done as body and chassis separate.

If the motion needs further varnish then I will use my UV varnish applied with a thin brush.

post-8925-0-72586600-1538555096_thumb.jpg

Runs very easily, once thoroughly mixed, and dries within minutes.