Little Muddle

KNP

Could be either it depends on their visibility to the crew.

It is also my understanding that the fireman would also be expected to look out for them as well.

Local route knowledge was also paramount to the crew so they would know when the next signal would be upon them and therefore keep an eye out for it...

Post focus edit of the first picture by the PW area.

attachicon.gif1539.jpg

This area was part of the original 2009/10 part of the layout with my original way of doing the GWR wire fencing....

Glad I changed to the current method, this seems to have got wavier with age!

Why don’t you get your ‘men leaning on fences’ to lean on this one to straighten it? BTW, love looking at this layout.

• RMweb Premium

Could be either it depends on their visibility to the crew.

Thanks. It was the picture of 2322 in post 2928 that made me wonder. Looking at it again - no offence meant Kevin - should there be a distant arm on that post which I believe is the home signal?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks. It was the picture of 2322 in post 2928 that made me wonder. Looking at it again - no offence meant Kevin - should there be a distant arm on that post which I believe is the home signal?

Only if that home signal were less than braking distance from the home for the next box after Encombe Town. With the curve then the slip at Encombe the speed is likely to be c.15mph, so a lower distant wouldn’t be wanted.

(Hope this doesn’t take the thread off topic, signalling discussions can have that effect!)

Paul.

• Like 1

Last couple of days been working on the front bogie of King Stephen and this is the result.

Base coat only on new work and bits of plastic filing still on body via static!!!

Original

KS1.jpg.85f29e8608a842315d948af748e1389a.jpg

Using plastic sheet the gap looks much better and not so noticeable

KS2.jpg.daf42982884f830609da23b92c486701.jpg

Finish the painting and add some weathering and I think it'll work - not truly realistic but close enough for me

Edited by KNP
  • Like 6

You've done a great job. Huge improvement. The King front bogies were monstrous lumps of metal. Because of the outside bearing/frame front axle and inside bearing second axle I always thought this made them ugly engines. I always preferred the lighter mixed-traffic 4-6-0s, or better still any of the earlier 4-4-0s.

I’ve just spent a good hour admiring your latest shots, Kevin, and I’m particularly enjoying the new “closer to the action” focus stacked images - they really are superb and show off your modelling perfectly. I can see me investing in some new kit and software once my own layout gets to the scenic stage!

The Dean Goods crew look fantastic too - I have a ModelU crew ready to paint and fit to a P Class. I’ll be studying your results for inspiration before getting the brushes out.

Kevin

good job on the King, HUGE improvement!

Is it possible to have a bit more plastic down to the top of the bogie well behind the front wheels - some kind of view blocker, lost in the shadows?  The frames were dished, not cut away, on the prototype.

best

Simon

Kevin

good job on the King, HUGE improvement!

Is it possible to have a bit more plastic down to the top of the bogie well behind the front wheels - some kind of view blocker, lost in the shadows?  The frames were dished, not cut away, on the prototype.

best

Simon

Funny enough the Loco is in pieces again!! to do that very thing, I'm planning a sort of baffle plate down the middle so the view through is hidden.

Thanks

• Like 1

Parcel arrived from Hattons with aforementioned reeds from Tasma Products, plus some water lilies which I plan to use for the stream by the footbridge.

IMG_0517.JPG.164ac9b5d7967c86c04e5dc8280cade3.JPG

They do a really useful, well made range of items.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Parcel arrived from Hattons with aforementioned reeds from Tasma Products, plus some water lillies which I plan to use from the stream by the footbridge.

attachicon.gifIMG_0517.JPG

They do a really useful, well made range of items.

Is it me, or are there no prices on the Tasma Products website ?

E.g. https://www.tasmaproducts.com/mms442-golden-snitch

That Farm scene looks better with every shot of the camera Kevin, wonderful young man, just wonderful.

Many thanks for that, much appreciated.

What is happening is that I can now get the camera into positions I never could before thanks to the new tripod. It is extremely versatile and once you understand the strange cranked locking mechanism that controls the three legs and boom arm it is easy to move into usually, unreachable positions.

You have to be careful though as it is heavily built and would take out any scenery or building that gets in the way plus it has an expensive camera hanging on the end - another reason to play things slowly...…!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for that, much appreciated.

What is happening is that I can now get the camera into positions I never could before thanks to the new tripod. It is extremely versatile and once you understand the strange cranked locking mechanism that controls the three legs and boom arm it is easy to move into usually, unreachable positions.

You have to be careful though as it is heavily built and would take out any scenery or building that gets in the way plus it has an expensive camera hanging on the end - another reason to play things slowly...…!

I too am really enjoying the new scenes exposed with your tripod suspension technique. Are you using a WiFi linked phone or iPad as the viewfinder for composition?

I too am really enjoying the new scenes exposed with your tripod suspension technique. Are you using a WiFi linked phone or iPad as the viewfinder for composition?

Thanks

Yes, the camera has WiFi plus I have the Panasonic Image App on the iPhone which allows me to have remote viewing and camera control.

Sneak pre-view of King Stephen going through the workshop.

Early days but now the Dullcote has been applied and dried the whole loco looses the model train feel plus it gives the next stage of washes and powders something to grip!

KS3.jpg.4610eef790d1180a46ca1abf7bcc1c2f.jpg

EDIT.....

Before someone says, yes I have just realised the last wheel set to the tender is not on the track...….

Edited by KNP
  • Like 17

Well, I don't exactly know what happened but the more I look at the previous picture of King Stephen the more I ask what's gone on with the colour!!

Is it me or does it apear to have a lime green tinge?

When viewing on the PC it looks OK but upload to this thread and the colour looks off.

So here is another one of the same loco but in the bay platform of Encombe Town, lets see what that comes out like.

KS5.jpg.a8af573d93c7a6f85a6e63b8cc62a873.jpg

Edited by KNP
  • Like 18