Little Muddle

KNP

Well you never told me???

The first picture on 3329 was a repeat of one on the previous post.

This is the one I should have posted

1702.jpg.4ebb3fc0bccd768fb2586ed2cc7d02cd.jpg

Similar I know but taken slightly higher up.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 8

Best angle down at track level, makes the layout look bigger!

I agree that the track level view is very effective, especially as there is so much detail in the trackwork.   It does, however, make the town backscene look rather high - perhaps it's above a steep river bank and has a 'cliff railway' to help access the 'upper town' - like Bridgenorth, for example.  I'm often surprised by how invisible towns can be in the real landscape, where houses are completely dwarfed by the surrounding trees.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Kevin,

I trust those passengers on the King hauled train managed to depart in time..... it looks as if the bogie gas dropped off the track....

I guess that’s why the photos are so good, the loco driver must be waiting for the re-railing gang!

Great photos as ever, thanks for sharing.

I keep coming back to the photos with the footbridge “enclosing darkness”.

It really is an effective trick as the “rest of the train” is so obviously there, even though we all know it isn’t.

I’ve tried to analyse why it works so very well here, but on many other layouts, it’s simply not as good. Apart from inherent talent, of course...

Did you enhance the darkness in the photo editing?

Best

Simon

I keep coming back to the photos with the footbridge “enclosing darkness”.

It really is an effective trick as the “rest of the train” is so obviously there, even though we all know it isn’t.

I’ve tried to analyse why it works so very well here, but on many other layouts, it’s simply not as good. Apart from inherent talent, of course...

Did you enhance the darkness in the photo editing?

Best

Simon

Thanks for the comments.

No trickery used, just a sheet of matt black card taped over opening.

I have changed slightly the settings on the camera since being back to give a crisper, colder look as I felt they where appearing to 'warm' looking last year, other than that nothing.

Post Focus of course, ISO 400, no flash, photo style on Natural, multi metering and WB on incandescent.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I use a similar method on Cwmdimbath's scenic break, which is basically a sheet of black card.  Your eye is diverted from this obviousity by 3 devices; as one approaches the break, there is firstly a pipe bridge, heavy black painted girders adapted from a Dapol/Kitmaster signal gantry, the old Airfix construction kit.  Immediately behind this is a road overbridge.  This has 2 sections divided by a short embankment between the abutments; the running line passes beneath a Wills plate girder bridge and the adjacent but fenced apart trading estate siding passes beneath a Wills occupation bridge, with railings.  This bridge does not have a bus, but a flock of wandering sheep as a sort of cameo; a ram is looking backwards to hurry his harem along, and they are taking no notice of him whatsoever.  One is staging a lie down protest.  The last line of visual distraction, in the 4 inches gap between the road bridge and the card scenic break, is the splitting inner home signal.  You view the back of this, and it stands out quite starkly against the black card which is about an inch behind it.

The lighting is angled to shade the layout side of the two bridges, but cast some light on the back of the signals.  Basically, it gets darker in the last 9 inches or so on the layout side of the break, and one's eye is being subliminally told to note the details, accept that the railway continues down the valley in that direction, but not to bother too much about it.  This plays to my innate laziness and is quite effective!

My original intention was to make a photographic background of a mountainside on a grey misty day (the Garth from Nantgarw on the bike trail would have been about right) to suggest the valley in that direction, but when I erected the black card, to have been the mounting for it, I realised that it was pretty effective as it was!  It ain't broke so I ain't gonna fix it!

• Like 1

I use a similar method on Cwmdimbath's scenic break, which is basically a sheet of black card.  Your eye is diverted from this obviousity by 3 devices; as one approaches the break, there is firstly a pipe bridge, heavy black painted girders adapted from a Dapol/Kitmaster signal gantry, the old Airfix construction kit.  Immediately behind this is a road overbridge.  This has 2 sections divided by a short embankment between the abutments; the running line passes beneath a Wills plate girder bridge and the adjacent but fenced apart trading estate siding passes beneath a Wills occupation bridge, with railings.  This bridge does not have a bus, but a flock of wandering sheep as a sort of cameo; a ram is looking backwards to hurry his harem along, and they are taking no notice of him whatsoever.  One is staging a lie down protest.  The last line of visual distraction, in the 4 inches gap between the road bridge and the card scenic break, is the splitting inner home signal.  You view the back of this, and it stands out quite starkly against the black card which is about an inch behind it.

The lighting is angled to shade the layout side of the two bridges, but cast some light on the back of the signals.  Basically, it gets darker in the last 9 inches or so on the layout side of the break, and one's eye is being subliminally told to note the details, accept that the railway continues down the valley in that direction, but not to bother too much about it.  This plays to my innate laziness and is quite effective!

My original intention was to make a photographic background of a mountainside on a grey misty day (the Garth from Nantgarw on the bike trail would have been about right) to suggest the valley in that direction, but when I erected the black card, to have been the mounting for it, I realised that it was pretty effective as it was!  It ain't broke so I ain't gonna fix it!

A very descriptive response and in my minds eye it all seems plausible, is there any chance you photographed some or all of it ?

I for one would be interested to see it if you have please.

G

• RMweb Gold

I still think a mirror would work well under the footbridge to give a sense of the railway continuing into the distance.

Because of the shade created by the footbridge and surrounding buildings I think it would still have some of the effects being described above.

Mirrored polycarbonate sheet would be a good material to use because it's safe and easy to cut to shape.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A very descriptive response and in my minds eye it all seems plausible, is there any chance you photographed some or all of it ?

I for one would be interested to see it if you have please.

G

Some pictures are available on the layout's thread. 'South Wales Valleys in the 1950s', over on layout topics.  If you've really got nothing better to do, it's a comprehensive history of the inception and development of the Dimbath Valley Railway Company...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I still think a mirror would work well under the footbridge to give a sense of the railway continuing into the distance.

Because of the shade created by the footbridge and surrounding buildings I think it would still have some of the effects being described above.

Mirrored polycarbonate sheet would be a good material to use because it's safe and easy to cut to shape.

Mirrors look great until a train can be seen moving the wrong way in them, at which point it all goes horribly wrong IMHO.

• RMweb Gold

Mirrors look great until a train can be seen moving the wrong way in them, at which point it all goes horribly wrong IMHO.

You're right but that's not really a problem if you are very carefully setting up scenes for still photography.

With regards to using mirrors.

I have used one for the background between the post office and the first tree to extend the depth of the pavement. However it does very much depend on the viewing angle which is why I have used a small mirror and not included the road. 

post-254-0-08008400-1547808856_thumb.jpg

• Like 12