Little Muddle

KNP

Has anyone produced something similar with a Silhouette cutter yet?

I'm sure it can be done with a little care and time.

I was asked to do some replacement sides for a Toplight by one of the parishioners and here is the result....

post-20303-0-54174800-1548525689_thumb.jpg

Done on a Sihouette Portrait using 10 thou plasticard and laminated x3 of varying cuts to accommodate the glazing etc.

I would probably attempt an overlay using 5 thou ( assuming it is still available ? ) if not then 10 thou in a single layer.

Its an interesting thought  so I may well give it a go ( as a test piece ) in the future when time permits.

G

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure it can be done with a little care and time.

I was asked to do some replacement sides for a Toplight by one of the parishioners and here is the result....

attachicon.gifIMG_2380.jpg

Done on a Sihouette Portrait using 10 thou plasticard and laminated x3 of varying cuts to accommodate the glazing etc.

I would probably attempt an overlay using 5 thou ( assuming it is still available ? ) if not then 10 thou in a single layer.

Its an interesting thought  so I may well give it a go ( as a test piece ) in the future when time permits.

G

Great work Grahame.  Would love to see the results in due course. 

Regards,

John.

• Like 1

Great work Grahame.  Would love to see the results in due course. 

Regards,

John.

Thanks John, so would I ! 

You weren't standing too far away from the chap when we were at the Cheltenham ANTB soiree.

G

• RMweb Gold

The roof was painted with Vallejo with Black/Grey, dry brushed faintly with Old Wood, then a wash of Lifecolor Roof Dirt with a final dry brush of Old wood again.

Sides dry brushed with Old Wood and Roof Dirt - light coats and building up. Drop lights Vallejo Beige Brown with Scarlet (red) added to give the hint of mahogany

Chassis same as roof but with more emphasis on Old Wood.

Everything then sprayed with Testors Dull Cote.

The glazing looks ok on this too as I see you can get flushglaze for the 'older' versions of this coach.

The glazing looks ok on this too as I see you can get flushglaze for the 'older' versions of this coach.

I was aware but it's back in the box for now.....

One day perhaps, or I might see what the 'new' Hornby ones look like in a few months time!

Edited by KNP

A few more from Ken when he caught the Mogul coaling the other day...

1724.jpg.38876c11395a992b5e0618b579cc47c2.jpg

1725.jpg.8bfd2a187ccb980c74b560c92e519dab.jpg

Funny how the camera angle and light makes the green change colour!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 19

Then I messed about with monochrome, as you do, and didn't really like any of them.

But then I thought I would post them as people have different tastes so someone out there might like them...

1726.jpg.0de9d3beb41f3612d697dffa8f52d7d6.jpg

1727.jpg.831799133f21c167abda44aeb0a83305.jpg

1728.jpg.7eb36f3b6382e251d63ac9d5d94cf9d3.jpg

Edited by KNP
  • Like 11

A few more from Ken when he caught the Mogul coaling the other day...

attachicon.gif1724.jpg

attachicon.gif1725.jpg

Funny how the camera angle and light makes the green change colour!

Totally agree Kevin hence why I said this on ANTB ...

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69664-a-nod-to-brent-fun-friendly-frivolity-and-happy-days-in-the-south-hams-1947/?p=3449550

• RMweb Gold

Hi Kevin,

I hope you don't mind but I took one of your monochrome photos and processed it a bit to try to make it look older. Here's the result:

post-32492-0-15988500-1548704666_thumb.jpg

I think I can tell you what I did if you're interested.

Just let me know if you'd like me to remove it.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

T

I was aware but it's back in the box for now.....

One day perhaps, or I might see what the 'new' Hornby ones look like in a few months time!

The 'new' Hornby ones are, AFAIK, the 'shorty' non gangwayed clerestories originally dating from 1962 when they were introduced to accompany Lord of the Isles, despite that loco being in original livery and the coaches in 1920s livery.  They are a bit basic, and not spot on accurate models of any real coach, but have loads of character and moulded panelling.  

You will need to work them up a bit, but the good news is that none of this is particularly difficult.  The bogies are B1 BR standards, and considering the age of the tooling not bad, but of course you need Dean 8'6" for these coaches (not the Dean 10' ones from the gangwayed clerestories).  24/7 Developments can oblige, or you can bodge it like I did; cut the tiebars out and glue footboards to the B1s, making a tolerable ersatz Dean bogie that passes the '2 foot' rule.  There is a bit more about this if you look back through my 'South Wales in the 1950's' topic in this section.  

The roofs come off easily so that you can put compartment dividers and seats in, and it is worth glazing the clerestory lights while you've got it off.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, KNP said:

Well lets see if I can work this new version of the website.

No, fell at the first hurdle, pictures can't be larger than 9.77mb, so back to editing suite and reduced size by 95%

No idea where this is going to end up as I cannot find a preview pane.....ah there it is a small page with the corner cut and a magnifying lens at the top.

1729.jpg.70a40bda3db156878b0d70fe06a658d0.jpg

Well I seem to have got it between the text by dragging and dropping - well I think that is what I did.

Time will tell.

Anyway here is an old picture of the railcar passing Stan Dare stilling leaning on a fence!

Lets see what this comes out like.

Still looks superb to me Kevin, nice, very nice.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, autocoach said:

Need to figure out how to find a quick way to check Little Muddle like the previous forum version. 

best of luck Kevin...

Hi Autocoach,

• At the top of the view (you may need to scroll up) hover over, or click on, "Activity".
  • Click "My Activity Streams" and then click "Content I follow".
  • You should see Little Muddle listed along with the other threads you follow.

If you set a bookmark now you can get to the "content I follow" page without going through the above sequence every time.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Not quite the same as "My followed topics" was but close.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Agree 1

On 2/1/2019 at 11:59 AM, Harlequin said:

Hi Autocoach,

• At the top of the view (you may need to scroll up) hover over, or click on, "Activity".
  • Click "My Activity Streams" and then click "Content I follow".
  • You should see Little Muddle listed along with the other threads you follow.

If you set a bookmark now you can get to the "content I follow" page without going through the above sequence every time.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Not quite the same as "My followed topics" was but close.

Too complicated. I have created an external bookmark for Chrome for now.  Then will click on last page and page down to latest comment.  If I figure out a variable for the "& page" number component in the URL to get max page I will add that  and basically be back to pre upgrade fit for use.  I also set notify me of replies to yes. I may get a bunch of emails every time the Little Muddle thread is updated. Will see how that goes.

By the way is the software provider or the web and cloud server farm in San Jose California? Once you get everything indexed, I should get excellent response time as it is only 45 miles away from my home server (old Windows 7  Pro PC).  This new UI is going to take some getting used to.

• Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, autocoach said:

Too complicated. I have created an external bookmark for Chrome for now.  Then will click on last page and page down to latest comment.  If I figure out a variable for the "& page" number component in the URL to get max page I will add that  and basically be back to pre upgrade fit for use.  I also set notify me of replies to yes. I may get a bunch of emails every time the Little Muddle thread is updated. Will see how that goes.

By the way is the software provider or the web and cloud server farm in San Jose California? Once you get everything indexed, I should get excellent response time as it is only 45 miles away from my home server (old Windows 7  Pro PC).  This new UI is going to take some getting used to.

I've done the same 

Problem is it shows an entry for every post instead of an entry for each subject.

Before it was easy to see every topic you had chosen to follow and whether there were any new updates.

Barkham Green is obviously one of the layouts   I follow but the only way I can find is to do a search

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 minutes ago, vulcanbomber said:

I've done the same 

Problem is it shows an entry for every post instead of an entry for each subject.

Before it was easy to see every topic you had chosen to follow and whether there were any new updates.

Barkham Green is obviously one of the layouts   I follow but the only way I can find is to do a search

As a quick work around until I can get my head around this new website, I am using 'Manage Followed Content' found when you use the content drop down fold at the top of the page (by your user name), this lists all the sites you follow and highlights new unread items as before.

Not ideal and easy as the previous version but we are getting there. 

My biggest issue at the moment is finding my way back to my own thread once I've moved away onto something else and want to return...….!

Edited by KNP
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KNP said:

As a quick work around until I can get my head around this new website, I am using 'Manage Followed Content' found when you use the content drop down fold at the top of the page (by your user name), this lists all the sites you follow and highlights new unread items as before.

My biggest issue at the moment is finding my way back to my own thread once I've moved away onto something else and want to return...….!

To get back to your own threads try using the "Content I started" tab just along from All activity when you are looking at "Activity" .

David

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, KNP said:

Yes that does sort of work but the list is in no particular order

• Agree 3

17 minutes ago, vulcanbomber said:

Yes that does sort of work but the list is in no particular order

You can use the settings along the top to set it into oldest or newest first order. You can also use the "condensed" view so just the notification shows and not the content.

My default view when I arrive in RMWeb now looks like this:Image14.jpg.18167309aef1cc9e61999896bea2209a.jpg

You can see the settings I've used in the options boxes along the top.

I've turned off all notifications as well, saves cluttering up my e-mail inbox.

I think this arrangement is now better than the old one, although I must confess that going into RMWeb from this direction stops me seeing the site as a whole and I now live in my own little echo chamber part of it. I have to consciously venture out to the main forum area to see what else is going on.

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Informative/Useful 3