Little Muddle

KNP

Pictures like that always surprise me, they make you much more aware of the amount of open space that there is on this layout even though there's a lot of buildings and trees.

It boils down to good composition, just as with any painting.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Yes I go along with Robs comments there but I think what definitely helps is the backdrop with its lovely blue sky and whisps of clouds. It just seals image and makes you think your actually stood in the potato field thinking oh lord theres still the rest of the field to lift.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

35 minutes ago, KNP said:

I have mentioned many times over the years I use photos for checking how things are going and then I normally discard them.

But this time I thought why not post them as when the area is finished the rear of all these buildings will be hidden in between trees and shrubs.

The shed area is not fixed of course as I wish to work on it some more so it will be glued down to get rid of the buckle caused by the application of sand glued to the top.

Privy in its new location

4869.thumb.jpg.f780a2ecd2bf27b03a5ecd8a7bce2174.jpg

4870.thumb.jpg.422c4537e6477907e2da41c5b1ba9085.jpg

4871.thumb.jpg.388269f6bb035bce62c2c02bcaa9c3b7.jpg

One thought that is gaining traction is I might remove the two Wills sheds (by the fence) and repaint them as they are over 10 years old now and my painting technique has changed.

Also make it easier doing the ground as well.

You've come round to my thinking about the sheds. Its alright no need to thank me. I'll just sit here in the dark muttering to myself.

• Friendly/supportive 3

45 minutes ago, KNP said:

A few more iPhone efforts....

4862.thumb.jpg.4adf28fc23352c11672f26768b9fe85d.jpg

4863.thumb.jpg.30c29a1b28d947f99a7c918a0e7254e6.jpg

Two excellent photographs there. Please pass on my compliments to LM's retained photographer.

They do both make you realise just what an intensively modelled scene LM is though as the both show the 'worlds end'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Likewise, I also believe that the non railway items make the layout look larger than it is and also demonstrate the railway has a reason to exist in that it serves a part of the country. I pay much less attention to those layouts which are all track, no matter how technically brilliant they are, because to me it loses the illusion of a real railway and looks more like the train set you dreamed of when you were eight.

I do like the fact that you have included the black painted edge of the world in certain pictures though, because it shows how you have gone about creating the slight changes in levels which also help with the illusion of reality, as even a grass verge that is 4"-6" higher than a road or track is noticeable on a model.

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Nothing shouts 'train set' more than a perfectly flat scenery, even the Somerset flats and the Fens have contours how ever so slight they might be.

Very nicely done, I agree that to show the 'world's end' helps give an idea of the ground levels 

Edited by John Besley
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

20 hours ago, KNP said:

4862.thumb.jpg.4adf28fc23352c11672f26768b9fe85d.jpg

4863.thumb.jpg.30c29a1b28d947f99a7c918a0e7254e6.jpg

I think I'm going to print those and pin them to my wall.  Then I won't have to bother making a layout of my life own. 

Dunno why I didn't think if that before.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

On 25/06/2022 at 07:35, KNP said:

Lovely pictures Kevin.

I am constantly astonished by the quality of the camera on my phone and what it can compensate for in terms of light levels and the detail in close-ups. I know nothing about f stops and other photo jargon and, of course, I am comparing todays technology to the 35mm 'point and fire' film camera that I had.

Like many I was often disappointed when the little envelope was collected from the film processors to find out that probably 4 or 5 out of 36 pictures actually only came vaguely near what I was expecting with the rest in the disappointing range. At the time I didn't have the funds, or interest, to get into 'proper' 35mm photography.

Even against my last digital camera there is no contest.

However, I have occasionally been surprised by a picture of myself when taking a landscape shot.  Just like computers they do exactly what you have set them to do and don't (yet) compensate for Operator error by deciding you didn't really want to do that. Which is probably a good thing.

And with digital you just delete anything you aren't happy with. Particularly a picture of someone taking a picture and squinting into the sun. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

24 minutes ago, KNP said:

Still going with iPhone pictures.

4864.thumb.jpg.2a77419904f31230c2d3961b715d88e8.jpg

Looking at this, those trees with just stubs are beginning to annoy me so I think once I have finished the farm outbuildings I will start some tree restoration works.

Are you going to plant whips or you going to plant some standards? Just remember that the tree gang will need some room to get in there so don't plant them too close together.

Another nice photo. I do think the iPhone produces some good shots.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, KNP said:

Still going with iPhone pictures.

4864.thumb.jpg.2a77419904f31230c2d3961b715d88e8.jpg

Looking at this, those trees with just stubs are beginning to annoy me so I think once I have finished the farm outbuildings I will start some tree restoration works.

Steady on, old chap.

I only have so much wall space.

• Like 3
  • Funny 7