Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold

Who makes scale flies?

Scale maggots.

The brackish water with dappled light under the trees looks inviting and I don't even fish!

Edited by Limpley Stoker
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

As a none fisherman I have no idea where flies and maggots come into this......!!!! I thought you sort of dangled a line in the water and the fish tied itself to it.......?

On a similar vein, when I was doing the 7 strand fences I decided to use very light fishing line as it came in long lengths and can be put under tension - so off to the local fishing tackle shop I went to in Bicester.

Asking for the lightest line they did  the salesperson sold me a 4lb reel.

Whilst paying he got all chatty and ask where was I fishing and what type was I after as going fishing with size of line would be challenging, my reply sort made him look when I pointed out it was for a fence.

Realising I needed to explain a bit more I told him it was a model fence on my layout, well you could see the interest evaporating in front of me, he gave me my change with not a word, sort of snorted, about turned and wandered off to the back of the shop.........

Obviously the two hobbies linking together don't appeal to him???

• RMweb Gold

OMG!! This is another one of those 'I have no interest in old steam railways at all but just can't stop reading through the thread' threads!!

You can replace the OMG with any swear word of your choice.......because this is quite some modelling....no, in fact, it's pure brilliance!

People keep saying that my attention to detail etc is amazing, and then I see this and wonder why they're making so much fuss (about mine). Not sure where to start because it's all so good. 

Cheers for posting the pictures of your wonderful modelling.

Mike

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 2

OMG!! This is another one of those 'I have no interest in old steam railways at all but just can't stop reading through the thread' threads!!

You can replace the OMG with any swear word of your choice.......because this is quite some modelling....no, in fact, it's pure brilliance!

People keep saying that my attention to detail etc is amazing, and then I see this and wonder why they're making so much fuss (about mine). Not sure where to start because it's all so good. 

Cheers for posting the pictures of your wonderful modelling.

Mike

Thank you for the comments.

If you recall I have been working on this layout, on and off, since 2009 so I've had quite a bit of time to keep tweaking and altering as I go (more on now that I retired early 2 years ago) so some of the results where not achieved first time.

The one thing I can say about a permanent layout is that you don't have to fix anything, leave what you where doing and it'll still be there in the morning plus I don't have to keep tidying up so as I keep the door shut so you can't see the muddle.

If I recall correctly you have some pictures of your layout in the kitchen which must make doing the dinner interesting!

In fact this how the name came about, my wife wondered in one day to make sure I was still breathing and she said it's a bit of a muddle in here, I replied just a little bit so the name was born - Little Muddle....

The only issue I have is working on the rear of the layout and leaning over without damaging that stuff at the front, this where a portable layout wins as you can get to all sides easily.

Been OK so far but I do fix temporary screens to the profile board which helps to a certain extent protect the scenery etc..

Did I notice that you have altered your points by removing the spring and some of the plastic?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you recall I have been working on this layout, on and off, since 2009 so I've had quite a bit of time to keep tweaking and altering as I go (more on now that I retired early 2 years ago) so some of the results where not achieved first time.

The one thing I can say about a permanent layout is that you don't have to fix anything, leave what you where doing and it'll still be there in the morning plus I don't have to keep tidying up so as I keep the door shut so you can't see the muddle.

If I recall correctly you have some pictures of your layout in the kitchen which must make doing the dinner interesting!

In fact this how the name came about, my wife wondered in one day to make sure I was still breathing and she said it's a bit of a muddle in here, I replied just a little bit so the name was born - Little Muddle....

The only issue I have is working on the rear of the layout and leaning over without damaging that stuff at the front, this where a portable layout wins as you can get to all sides easily.

Been OK so far but I do fix temporary screens to the profile board which helps to a certain extent protect the scenery etc..

Did I notice that you have altered your points by removing the spring and some of the plastic?

Hi Kevin, none of the track is as Mr Peco intended. There was a thread on here somewhere showing complete removal of the Peco tie bar but I didn't quite get that far.

I'm glad I looked through your thread because I need a few trees...and your's are about as good as they get! 

The kitchen scenario isn't ideal, apart from Nicky (my long suffering Mrs) shouting and screaming at me because she can't get to the cooker / fridge / sink / back door, or any combination of the latter, I can only put two boards up at anyone time.....normally resulting in things not ending up as intended. I guess it's good modelling practice when I have to redo everything.

Going back to your layout, I think that if you can squint your eyes and it looks like you're actually there...in the scene, it's a sign of fantastic modelling. There's a couple of threads on here (steam ones), including Rob's Nod to Brent that give that impression and yours' is certainly in that category.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by scoobyra

• RMweb Gold

If I recall correctly you have some pictures of your layout in the kitchen which must make doing the dinner interesting!

In fact this how the name came about, my wife wondered in one day to make sure I was still breathing and she said it's a bit of a muddle in here, I replied just a little bit so the name was born - Little Muddle....

Nicola asked me the other day if I ever tidy up in here, I told her yes, 2011... Anyway, keep up the good work, and that from a pure North Eastern man.

On 21/03/2017 at 16:51, scoobyra said:

Hi Kevin, none of the track is as Mr Peco intended. There was a thread on here somewhere showing complete removal of the Peco tie bar but I didn't quite get that far.

I'm glad I looked through your thread because I need a few trees...and your's are about as good as they get! 

The kitchen scenario isn't ideal, apart from Nicky (my long suffering Mrs) shouting and screaming at me because she can't get to the cooker / fridge / sink / back door, or any combination of the latter, I can only put two boards up at anyone time.....normally resulting in things not ending up as intended. I guess it's good modelling practice when I have to redo everything.

Going back to your layout, I think that if you can squint your eyes and it looks like you're actually there...in the scene, it's a sign of fantastic modelling. There's a couple of threads on here (steam ones), including Rob's Nod to Brent that give that impression and yours' is certainly in that category.

Cheers

Mike

Mike

I have done the same thing about 18mths ago to all my points but had to alter them in-situ which made it interesting and nerve racking.

The lump of plastic to the side of the track was left because I couldn't get easily to it on some of the  points so I left it (for now).

The points are operated by a SEEP PM1 and there is enough clout in the throw to hold the blade in position. To date I haven't had one issue but is that tempting fate?

I would certainly recommend doing something like this if you are proposing to use, say, the Wills point rodding kit as if you fit the FPL on top of the spring it will foul most loco's underside.

Thanks again for the comments.

I must do something about working out how to add a word document to this site as I have that tree article I wrote last year for Railway Modellers I could post. I did have a reply so I must look into it.

Regards

1744.jpg.927ea2c2dc0ae6e5349516bc73875537.jpg

1713.jpg.547e841d6c4b655ad276ceb05f1a517f.jpg

Edited by KNP
  • Like 11

Mike

I have done the same thing about 18mths ago to all my points but had to alter them in-situ which made it interesting and nerve racking.

The lump of plastic to the side of the track was left because I couldn't get easily to it on some of the  points so I left it (for now).

The points are operated by a SEEP PM1 and there is enough clout in the throw to hold the blade in position. To date I haven't had one issue but is that tempting fate?

I would certainly recommend doing something like this if you are proposing to use, say, the Wills point rodding kit as if you fit the FPL on top of the spring it will foul most loco's underside.

I must do something about working out how to add a word document to this site as I have that article I wrote last year for Railway Modellers I could post. I did have a reply so I must look into it.

Regards

Hi

Is that a GW 6 Ton yard crane in your photo? (Its hard to tell from the angle).

If so a can you give some details, I need one at some point.

Keep up the good work.

On 21/03/2017 at 18:38, Mulgabill said:

Hi

Is that a GW 6 Ton yard crane in your photo? (Its hard to tell from the angle).

If so a can you give some details, I need one at some point.

Keep up the good work.

It's a repainted Corgi Ruston Bucyrus 19 Crane.

728.JPG

Edited by KNP
  • Like 11

Just found this thread and read through most of it from the beginning.  "Simply stunning" is all that I can say!  Although I do tend to like GWR branch lines, mines a little earlier and a bit smaller (and not so finished) :-)

Ian

• Like 2

I love the shed wrecked by the branch falling on it.

It reminds me when at work our department moved to a new place in York. It was a lovely day in early August 1984.

We all parked our cars in the car park which had a lot of mature trees surrounding it. Suddenly a huge branch fell off and almost flattened a car. We were a bit shocked until we realised the car belonged to the Finance Officer, then hysterical laughter filled the building. Poor fella, he wasnt a bad old stick but we thought it hilarious.

Derek

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mike

I must do something about working out how to add a word document to this site as I have that tree article I wrote last year for Railway Modellers I could post. I did have a reply so I must look into it.

Regards

Cheers Kevin, I left those bits in too as a guide for the tie bar - in hindsight, they could've been removed. It's amazing what you can learn over time isn't it?

I didn't realise that the modification worked with Seep motors? That's really useful to know.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures....

Mike

• RMweb Gold

I have to join in with everyone else. A spectacular piece of modelling, the railway is incidental to the scene you've created, and as such I'm prepared to overlook the fact that it's G**** W******.

No need to blank out God's Wonderful !

Or of course it could have been the other well known nickname and that was Great Way (Round)......?

Or my late father's favourite - Go When Ready. His wartime experiences of the line from Winchester to Newbury led him to claim that when looking at a timetable a watch was no good, what you needed was a calendar...

Chaz

• RMweb Gold

End of another busy day, must buy some more vegetables for that last unplanted area.

This is sort of semi hidden by the harbour masters building and the potato field so to take it I had to hold the camera at arms length and point towards me.

Marvellous- the gardener has earnt his rest. I've never seen compost bins modelled before - and with well rotted compost!

Marvellous- the gardener has earnt his rest. I've never seen compost bins modelled before - and with well rotted compost!

Thank you.

It was a mish mash of scenic odds and ends, plus small bits of balsa, twigs, etc glued on a mound of modelling clay. Held in place with a generous coat of pva applied via a syringe then painted a blackish, brownish sludge colour, when set a coat of satin varnish to finish off. Bins made of microstrip

Edited by KNP

• RMweb Premium

Modelled on me....!!!

Not sure I would recognise you if I passed you in the street from that photo - but then again what are the odds you would be walking down a street in Brisbane!