The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Train meets snow

Vanders

Several times per year for the past 4 years Ive had the pleasure of boarding Amtrak via ground level platforms. And this looks absolutely fantastic.

Though there are better ways to avoid oncomming snow than slightly turning away from it.

Is that one of the reasons that ground-level and low-level platforms exist outside of the UK? At a high platform, one side of the plough would just compact the snow against the platform face - it would have nowhere to go. Looking at the speed of the train before the clip is slowed down, I doubt the folk on the platform would have had much time to react.

I think the Driver Engineer was some kind of nutcase and could obviously be held responsible for any injuries.  There's not much need to charge that fast or hard into snow that deep especially next to a station platform.

And where were the station staff in all that? I would have thought they should have warned the onlookers to stand back or even clear the platform.

I think the Driver Engineer was some kind of nutcase and could obviously be held responsible for any injuries.  There's not much need to charge that fast or hard into snow that deep especially next to a station platform.

And where were the station staff in all that? I would have thought they should have warned the onlookers to stand back or even clear the platform.

One does wonder what has happened to good old common sense. Nobody can think for themselves nowadays

• RMweb Gold

Looks to me like a non-stop train passing through a platform where the snow has been allowed to build up against the platform ONLY. You can see when he first hits the banked snow.

What was the engineer supposed to do, he doesn't know that he is about to hit a load of snow in a platform, he can't slow down that quickly and he has a service timetable to keep to. The ones who should be getting questioned are those who allowed passengers onto the platform when the fast train was due.

Andi

Many small stations on Amtrak routes dont have permanent staff, or any staff for that matter at the station I go to.

Looks to me like a non-stop train passing through a platform where the snow has been allowed to build up against the platform ONLY. You can see when he first hits the banked snow.

What was the engineer supposed to do, he doesn't know that he is about to hit a load of snow in a platform, he can't slow down that quickly and he has a service timetable to keep to. The ones who should be getting questioned are those who allowed passengers onto the platform when the fast train was due.

Andi

Youre allowed to stand on platforms when through trains are passing. I rather like standing on a ground level platform while two fast freights are going either side of the platform. I use common sense and stand outside of the loading gauge.

• RMweb Gold

Many small stations on Amtrak routes dont have permanent staff, or any staff for that matter at the station I go to.

Well there must have been some staff to have cleared the snow from the platform!

Andi

Youre allowed to stand on platforms when through trains are passing. I rather like standing on a ground level platform while two fast freights are going either side of the platform. I use common sense and stand outside of the loading gauge.

Yes I realise that, but with that much snow on the track???

Andi

Well there must have been some staff to have cleared the snow from the platform!

Andi

Yes I realise that, but with that much snow on the track???

Andi

Probably some poor soul sent out before dawn and then sent somewhere else. My home station I have NEVER seen a single member of staff, and I spend upwards of an hour each time I have to go due to usual Amtrak delays.

Its snow. If one of those people really wanted to avoid the snow, they would have stood back. Amtrak always pulls into stations quickly. The brakes are surprisingly good, though they usually are short trains.

That train probably was stopping there too. Its the norm for Amtrak.

• RMweb Premium

It looked to me as if the majority of the waiting passengers moved back, knowing what was coming.  The rest are filming it!!

You'd think anyone used to snow conditions, would know EXACTLY what might happen & stay well clear.

I'm frankly amazed it took the girl in the white hat as long to turn away as it did. I'd have moved long, long before she did!

Notice how most of the waiting passengers move to the other side of the platform as soon as the oncoming train is visible - which suggests they have seen this sort of thing before. (Right at the beginning of the video.)

Other than the woman in the hat, the remaining passengers on this platform were trying to video the oncoming train.

EDIT The Piper's Son already made this point - sorry.

Yes. It's clear that a snowblower was used to clear the platform. The snow on the tracks on both sides of the platform is higher than the platform. It is clearly very deep snow. Since it was recently posted it may well be from this week's storm.

There was a video (on CNN) of an Amtrak (I think) train plowing through heavy snow this week, but I can't find it.

• RMweb Gold

Probably some poor soul sent out before dawn and then sent somewhere else. My home station I have NEVER seen a single member of staff, and I spend upwards of an hour each time I have to go due to usual Amtrak delays.

Its snow. If one of those people really wanted to avoid the snow, they would have stood back. Amtrak always pulls into stations quickly. The brakes are surprisingly good, though they usually are short trains.

That train probably was stopping there too. Its the norm for Amtrak.

see the updated version with the real time full footage, he ain't stopping for anyone 

https://youtu.be/R51jmndHEr4?t=62

Andi

see the updated version with the real time full footage, he ain't stopping for anyone 

https://youtu.be/R51jmndHEr4?t=62

Andi

You can hear the brakes. Now knowing thats at Rhinecliff, its actually on the route I take. Its a short station and they dont come in slow. Even the video description says it was stopping there.

Id rather stop arguing about snow. Were all still dealing with the now 3' mess dumped on us.

Archived