Cork floor tiles

Hello all,

I'm looking at modelling a flat ish yard, and as such am trying to avoid "mounded up" ballast around tracks. In the interest of deadening sound though I was wondering if cork floor tiles from my local diy place laid on the whole base board (approx 2 x 4) would be ok, firstly to provide a uniformly flat area and secondly muffle any noise? Or should I just lay track directly on ply? Any previous experiences gratefully received! PS I realise England are losing 10-6 in the Rugby so I'm willing to wait! :-)

Or in the aisle near the cork floor tiles you will find this underlay

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Westco-General-Purpose-Kitchen-and-Bathroom-Underlay/p/122717

It appears to be very similar to the sort of stuff sold by C&L at a fraction of the price.

It sticks well with PVA, and cuts very neatly and easily.

I have tried it on a small scale test piece, and will use it further soon.

Any subsequent ballasting with negate all sound-deadening benefits from laying cork so, in my opinion, cork is only worth while if you want to create ballast shoulders or to hide wires etc that may be laid on top of the baseboard rather than attached below it.

Harold.

I use 3mm (unsealed) cork tiles on top of 12mm MDF. The main reason for using the cork is to allow track to be pinned temporarily until final positioning. Track is then glued in place.

I use Evostick Wood Glue to glue cork to MDF and always had good results. Tried a roll of cork sheet once but found it hard to keep it glued down, kept curling up at the edges.

Mal

Cheers Harry, in your experience does the cork underlay make any difference in unballasted sections of track though?

Yes, it makes a massive difference, especially if you pin your track as opposed to glueing it..

I have glued mine on the scenic section & this increases noise.

Painting the track (an allover coat for a section inside the tunnel) increases it further.

Ballasting increases it further still. I ballast with copydex. Due to its flexible nature, it is a lot quieter than PVA.

Watered down PVA soaks into your nice, soft cork & sets it rock hard, completely destroying its silencing effect.

Cheers Mal, the ones I've seen are sealed - does that make a difference then...?

Only if you want to paint the surface. Unsealed cork tiles take emulsion well and I like to paint the surface matt grey. Not essential, but gives a nice 'blank canvas' while you're laying track.

post-7898-0-36476100-1489945084_thumb.jpg

Thanks Pete, does copydex still smell? I remember my childhood "trainset" being decidedly whiffy! :-D

Yes. No changes there.

I believe you can get other soft adhesives. Evo-stik contact adhesive is rubbery but it dries too quickly to make it suitable for some things.

• RMweb Gold

I have used the sound insulation sheets sold for under laminate flooring. It kind of works for the hidden sidings and tunnels. On visible tracks I actually like the natural sound so I make no attempt to deaden it.

Cheers Colin, I was reminiscing during your post. I'm thinking that cork / foam aren't really worth the effort overall. :-)

Sorry, disagree.

Cork does work, I've used the tiles in the past, but these days I swear by (rather than at) foam underlay. Glues down well with PVA and takes tracklaying well too, also with PVA. I use the Johnson's Klear method of ballasting and that gives an excellent result.

steve

• RMweb Gold

Foam is a potential problem as some types can disintegrate over time.  I used 3mm cork floor tiles for my US N scale layout as I wanted scope for drainage ditches.

Not too fussed about sound-deadening as the US locos are nice quiet runners anyway.

Mark

Archived