The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

And the next photo will have...(real railway version)

NorthBrit

• RMweb Gold

My one and only Wessex liveried train - at Southampton in 2005 - I am assuming that the Alphaline branding is acceptable.

post-14351-0-18363800-1496959631_thumb.jpg

What about one of those scenic vinyl wraps from the West Country?

Edit - I was sure that I had seen a DMU or two in a vinyl wrap with a dark background and some West Country scenery on it. I can't find one on the net, so may be it's an unfair challenge so let's amend it to

a colourful pictorial vinyl wrap on a loco or train

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

Enfield, which has several stations, I'm fairly sure is/was in the historic county of Middlesex...

post-10122-0-12706000-1496960142_thumb.jpg

But I'm not sure about its depot!

post-10122-0-96567900-1496960155_thumb.jpg

Whoops - way too late!

Edited by EddieB

• RMweb Gold

Now that we have settled the RMWeb offside rule - what's next up?

i think we're in nip?

what rules are we playing by, oh hang on wrong thread

anyway, a colourful vinyl wrap (or two)

17D394CA-3255-4A9B-9E7A-6DC9B304D7FE.jpg

next up a loco named after a lady

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Dad's albums have several - including this one (caption corrected)

post-14351-0-79041200-1496999478_thumb.jpg

A loco or a location with 'Saint' in it - the abbreviated version is grudgingly accepted!

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

if acceptable (not pushing the definition too much), how about another train on a viaduct??

Where else but the mighty arches of Ribblehead with grey bulk of Whernside behind?

66744 heads towards Blea Moor loops to run round with stone from Arcow Quarry near Helwith Bridge.

post-408-0-92653500-1496965204_thumb.jpg

Next - a passenger train on the same viaduct.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

For anyone who has not tried it, the Station Inn at Ribblehead does an amazing Giant Yorkshire Pudding with Roast Beef and Mash or Chilli and Chips. Try it next time any of you are there.

A very small 158 and 153 on the viaduct:

6072575202_e84e5d98b1_b.jpg

A Leeds train passes over Ribblehead viaduct by Timothy Young, on Flickr

How about a train on the Forth or Tay Bridges next.

• Like 1

Taken while I was on holidays in the UK

I an fairly sure there is a train at the RH end of the small span in the lower pic

post-28417-0-92828000-1496971288_thumb.jpg

Next, a holiday snap from a continent you don't live in.

John

It's a fine line between what constitutes a holiday and an all out train chasing trip, but a fairly relaxed winter trip to Switzerland late in 1988 probably was closer to a holiday than most. Lucky enough to catch one of the Rhätische Bahn 'krokodils' after going down for an evening walk to the station at Davos. 

post-4406-0-00560700-1496980642_thumb.jpg

Locomotive in a workshop (not on shed or a maintenance depot)

Edited by bingley hall
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I am fairly sure that this was in Swindon works. Dad made at least two visits there.

post-14351-0-38042000-1496983778_thumb.jpg

On the works theme, how about a carriage or wagon works - mainline would be good, but on a preserved line would be OK.

• Like 2

On the works theme, how about a carriage or wagon works - mainline would be good, but on a preserved line would be OK.

Something completely different.  South African Railways workshops at Salt River were used for the maintenance of passenger stock and as the base for its fleet of heritage vehicles.  Here is carriage no. 51 which was part of the Royal Train during the 1947 royal visit (which subsequently became the "White Train", used by Governors General).  At the time of my 1985 visit, this carriage was being restored (various other carriages from the Royal Train were to be found elsewhere in the workshops and in the yard outside).  Behind it is a class 4E electric being used in restoration/repainting projects for apprentices.

post-10122-0-09385300-1496998737_thumb.jpg

Next, an example of a class 18, 38 or 48.

• Like 2

My one and only Wessex liveried train - at Southampton in 2005 - I am assuming that the Alphaline branding is acceptable.

attachicon.gifalphaline Bristol TM to Ptsm Hbr 22 4 05.jpg

What about one of those scenic vinyl wraps from the West Country?

Edit - I was sure that I had seen a DMU or two in a vinyl wrap with a dark background and some West Country scenery on it. I can't find one on the net, so may be it's an unfair challenge so let's amend it to

a colourful pictorial vinyl wrap on a loco or train

I'm sure there was one (class 150?) with an advert for either Devon or Cornwall along the sides, because I remember seeing it at Temple Meads but not taking a great deal of notice at the time. That was in addition to a couple of Ginsters branded 158s which were operating in the West Country about 13/14 years ago. 

EDITED, to add that after a bit of internet research I have discovered there were 2 class 150s, 150234 and 150244 treated in this manner.

Photos from side on are not that common, but here is 150244  - https://walesrails.smugmug.com/Class-by-class/Second-Generation-DMU/Second-Generation-DMU-150/i-TxKwz7T/A

Edited by jonny777

And if anybody can come up with a picture of the original Brush D1702-6 (class 48) I'll be amazed!

Keith

I have one, but it is one of my earliest b/w photos and is so poor quality it is not worth posting; besides which the number is unreadable and so (to anyone other than myself) could be any member of the class.

They were such regular performers on the GN&GE whilst running coal trains/empties to/from Whitemoor in the late 1960s that we locals became sick of seeing them.

There are plenty of 18 38 and 48 class locos around beyond our shores.

Isn't D1705 at the GCR? Though whether it would count without its 12LVA is arguable at best.

not only that... there are DB steam loco classes 18 & 38...

No Classes 18, 38 or 48 yet?

How about this, GWR 3822 at Didcot in 1986. It starts with a 38, so it must be a Class 38, right?

post-6971-0-52534100-1497037540.jpg

If that's acceptable, the next photo will have a train on track that has no ballast.

• RMweb Gold

How does Great Central Railway class 18T fit?

https://www.lner.info/locos/J/j59.php

- I have this photo from a collection of photos Dad acquired. The GCR content is in an album here 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/75890-gcr-cl-18t-060st-372b-lner-cl-j59-neasden-17-9-1921jpg/

post-14351-0-97416400-1497038591_thumb.jpg

If people are happy with this '18' how about a photo showing the whole of a new Thameslink class 700?

Edited by phil_sutters

No Classes 18, 38 or 48 yet?

How about this, GWR 3822 at Didcot in 1986. It starts with a 38, so it must be a Class 38, right?

Well actually I think it's a 2800 or 28xx!

How does Great Central Railway class 18T fit?

For me the fun of this thread is being able to stretch the request to find something that fits the bill - within the constraints that it's "your" picture (by virtue of own work or having acquired copyright).  For that reason I prefer requests that are capable of wide interpretation than specifics for a particular subject.  So neither of those pictures fits my request strictly, but I'm perfectly happy with either - particularly since it was hanging around for quite a few hours.

What I had envisaged was probably a Belgian class 18 electric (either the old or new type), or perhaps a Malaysian class 18 diesel shunter, New South Wales class 48 diesel, or one of the German steam classes suggested earlier.- but there are several others that could also fit the bill.