DVT used as test bed for new transmission

• RMweb Gold

I tend to think that battery technology may render the diesel engine obsolete in the near future for many applications. One of the perrenial questions in power futurology is whether batteries or hydrogen fuel cells will be the technology of the future but either way I think the diesel engine will become increasingly endangered. On recuperation and energy recovery, there are lots of ways of doing that, many of them very old.

This could get very interesting.  Many people welcomed the arrival of motor transport in cities because it solved the problem of piles of dung in the road and how to get rid of it.  We're now moving on to a potential era when we might have to dispose of vast numbers of hi=-tech battery components or the bits left over from scrapped fuel cell technology.

I wonder when horse dung will be back in fashion? :jester: 

• Like 2

We are working with Nissan to use batteries from ev in home storage applications. Apparently the requirements for EV are so high that once they are no longer performing they stills have significant potential use

Combined with micro generation of electricity via small wind turbines and solar this has the potential to really change the energy market. Hence I'm sure some of the big names may try to put barriers in our way

• Like 1

We are working with Nissan to use batteries from ev in home storage applications. Apparently the requirements for EV are so high that once they are no longer performing they stills have significant potential use....

There is quite a lot of R&D going on in this field (reusing time expired car batteries in a domestic power application).

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

There is quite a lot of R&D going on in this field (reusing time expired car batteries in a domestic power application).

The big electricity companies have been pumping money into energy storage as an enabling technology for years. I left that industry 7 years ago but microgrids and batteries were high on the R&D spend list even then.

• RMweb Premium

If I was given the job of designing a power system to reduce emissions in stations I'm not sure I'd be minded to go with a diesel engine solution. Seems a good application for a battery hybrid arrangement. If you only need the power for the hotel load and initial acceleration and/or peak lopping the battery capacity should be realistic without needing excessive space and these days hybrid battery - engine technology is quite mature.

This could get very interesting.  Many people welcomed the arrival of motor transport in cities because it solved the problem of piles of dung in the road and how to get rid of it.  We're now moving on to a potential era when we might have to dispose of vast numbers of hi=-tech battery components or the bits left over from scrapped fuel cell technology.

I wonder when horse dung will be back in fashion? :jester: 

MP's have been providing it, or something very similar for years! 

Davey

Weird hybrid round-up as far as I can glean:

1. A trial with batteries in a 379 EMU, Harwich branch, came and went, then all went quiet.

2. Vivarail's recycled D78 underground stock with diesel power packs, and also now trying out batteries as well. Ongoing story, but first prototype caught fire (Kenilworth/Coventry?), and apparently some to be used on Bedford-Bletchley.

3. 319 EMUs having diesels added by Brush at Loughborough (apparently for use by Northern from May 2018?). Conversion under way, but not much public info on progress.

4. This thread's "Class 19" DVT with added diesel, conversion nearly ready for trials.

5. Any more?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Weird hybrid round-up as far as I can glean:

3. 319 EMUs having diesels added by Brush at Loughborough (apparently for use by Northern from May 2018?). Conversion under way, but not much public info on progress.

And...apparently some to Wales.

Don't forget Hitachi's Hayabusa Hybrid HST (43 089) using a semi-permenently coupled Mk3 containing the batteries.

Steven B.

Did anything come of that Hayabusa project? I imagine hybrid HSTs are no longer on the drawing board.

Some drawings and photos over here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/43589-hybrid-hst-hayabusa-43089/

and Hitachi's roundup of the project here: http://www.hitachirail-eu.com/products/research-development/v-train-2

...We were very excited to unveil this technology, which will demonstrate energy and emissions savings. This trial unlocked the future potential for the application of rapidly-improving battery hybrid-powered traction technology to future generations of rail vehicles in the UK...

• RMweb Premium

Did anything come of that Hayabusa project? I imagine hybrid HSTs are no longer on the drawing board.

Some drawings and photos over here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/43589-hybrid-hst-hayabusa-43089/

and Hitachi's roundup of the project here: http://www.hitachirail-eu.com/products/research-development/v-train-2

The power car went back into normal service with East Midlands and is still in use.

The battery car 977996 has ended up at Bachmann at Barwell.

http://departmentals.com/photo/977996-2

Cheers,

Mick

The Hayabusa HST was a demonstrator, designed to showcase the diesel/battery hybrid power pack technology, which Hitachi proposed to install in the all-diesel and bi-mode versions of their winning design in the IEP bidding competition.

Previously named Super Express Train (SET), it's now more commonly referred to as the Class 800 series, or IET..

The SET was selected by the Govt//DafT for the IEP in that form.....with the diesel/battery hybrid power cars at each end of an all-diesel train ....and at one end of a bi-mode train (with an electric power car at the other end)..

The HST Hayabusa demonstrator couldn't fit everything into the Class 43 loco body, so much of the extra equipment and the batteries banks were placed in the attached Mk3 mentioned above.

The production train would have had the diesel generator and the battery packs, all contained within the driving vehicle.

With the decision to electrify the GWML, it killed off the all-diesel version and subsequently the DafT made the decision to switch to smaller underfloor engines for the bi-mode trains.

That ended the plan to use hybrid diesel/battery power.

This is what the diesel end of a Class 800 series diesel, or bi-mode, was originally going to look like....

080701_1.jpg

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Slightly OT, is the DVT the only surviving remnant of the International train, or are they solely Mk3 derived?

Nope, the DVT was a bog standard WCML one displaced by the Pendalinos.

I don't believe the DVT featured in the International Train, that had it's own brake vehicle along the lines of the BFOs IIRC

It had a BFK with compartments and I believe a conference compartment as well. The Mk3 "Internationals" ended up in Ireland and only the BFK wasn't refurbished and used in service, it being kept for spares though IÉ did consider re-building it as a driving trailer the coaches being push-pull ready.

No, what I meant was, are DVT's derived from the International train, or are they derived from Mk3's?

They are derived from the Mk3s being fitted into the Mk3b batch of loco-hauled coaching stock. I believe the actual design was intended to look in keeping with either Mk3 or Mk2f stock seeing as they originally operated with sets formed of either stock on the WCML.

• Thanks 1

It had a BFK with compartments and I believe a conference compartment as well. The Mk3 "Internationals" ended up in Ireland and only the BFK wasn't refurbished and used in service, it being kept for spares though IÉ did consider re-building it as a driving trailer the coaches being push-pull ready.

99520 was last seen at Inchicore being used as a 'canvas' for livery experiments ! .......... that was May 1999 - I've no idea how long it lasted after that.

• 2 months later...