The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

ADSL filter problems

PenrithBeacon

I'm having broadband problems. I'm got dial tone so the phone line is ok; the router has been checked on my daughter's system and it's ok too; this leaves only the filters as an issue.

I could replace all five filters but that's expensive when it's probably only one which is faulty. My question is how do I test the filters to find out which one is faulty? I have looked in the internet without success.

Regards

• RMweb Premium

I'm having broadband problems. I'm got dial tone so the phone line is ok; the router has been checked on my daughter's system and it's ok too; this leaves only the filters as an issue.

I could replace all five filters but that's expensive when it's probably only one which is faulty. My question is how do I test the filters to find out which one is faulty? I have looked in the internet without success.

Regards

Hi

Unplug all the filters except the one for the broadband connection and then just switch that one around.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Regards

OK, you need to do an isolation test.

Unplug all the filters, phone & modem from the line. Grab one phone and check for dial tone. Dial a single digit & you should get silence. If you get noise, try with another phone. If still noisy, you need to get the noisy line addressed as ADSL won't work properly with noise on the line.

If no noise, unplug the phone again. Now plug the modem back in, without any filter (the modem doesn't require a filter at all - the filters are for phones). Test your ADSL.

Report back with your results.

• RMweb Gold

As you have 5 filters this implies that you have a lot of internal wiring in the house to feed the phones.  Is the ring wire disabled at the phone socket?  If the connection box is a modern one then it should be.  Check if the box has "openreach" or "BT" on it, as the latter still has the ring wire enabled. You can remove it yourself - eg http://www.skyuser.co.uk/tutorials/how_to_remove_the_ring_wire_from_your_master_socket.html

OK, you need to do an isolation test.

Unplug all the filters, phone & modem from the line. Grab one phone and check for dial tone. Dial a single digit & you should get silence. If you get noise, try with another phone. If still noisy, you need to get the noisy line addressed as ADSL won't work properly with noise on the line.

If no noise, unplug the phone again. Now plug the modem back in, without any filter (the modem doesn't require a filter at all - the filters are for phones). Test your ADSL.

Report back with your results.

The modem may not require a filter, but it has the wrong plug to go in a phone socket without one! 

• RMweb Premium

Now plug the modem back in, without any filter (the modem doesn't require a filter at all - the filters are for phones). Test your ADSL.

Hi

It does if the socket it shares also has a phone connected to it.

We dont have any separate filters these days as the Router connects to one socket on the master socket and the cordless phones base station to the other.

Cheers

Paul

Right! I followed the advice given above and my thanks to all for proffering the same.

To test the filters I used the master socket and they all work just fine! Good telephone service and the expected good response from the router. I have now connected up the router to its original extension socket just a cubit or two from this keyboard and its OK! Everything is working and I don't understand, but its working and that's enough for me.

I wonder if the EE lady I rang on Saturday night did a little more than she said over the phone.

Thanks again to everybody

Regards

• RMweb Premium

The modem may not require a filter, but it has the wrong plug to go in a phone socket without one! 

Ah yes, forgetting that you have those strange offset plugs & sockets. A complication that Australian thought about using, but never did.

• RMweb Premium

Stock response to broadband issues is always that its a faulty ADSL filter - so off you go to buy a new one only to find its not a ADSL filter issue but... and then it happens again and again and again and again. Think I have more of them than the local DIY shed.

It is common for ADSL providers here to tell customers to try another modem, with the same non-result! Or even that the line cord is 'too long', some technicians even recommend short cords, as in ridiculously short cords.

Ah yes, forgetting that you have those strange offset plugs & sockets. A complication that Australian thought about using, but never did.

indeed, while we typically follow the UK in such matters , IN ireland we went with the US RJ series for phones etc , much better 

It is common for ADSL providers here to tell customers to try another modem, with the same non-result! Or even that the line cord is 'too long', some technicians even recommend short cords, as in ridiculously short cords.

Incredibly, to me anyway, the last major problem I had was down to the modem although I was very wary of that being the case,

Archived