Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Why 512...?

JDW

• RMweb Premium

I was looking at an advert today for various limited edition models, and wondered something I've often wondered: Why 512 models?  Many limited editions are "Limited to 512 models", why not a round 500, or 525, why such a specific 512?  Obviously, I get that the retailer needs a minimum quantity to break even and make a profit, and allow for any returns, faulty examples, and all that kind of thing, but as far back as I can remember (who remembers a well-known Crewe-based company's Lima limited editions?) they have been limited to 512.  Is it some kind of magic number that guarantees a profit - regardless of manufacturer, promoter, seller, type of model, profit margin?!  Or witchcraft?

It's all about how many boxes fit in a carton and how many cartons fit on a pallet in volumetric terms to make a stable cuboid shipping package.

Clue - 8 cubed equals 512.

Yes; the natural human tendency to think of things in round numbers can sometimes blind us to the fact that, particularly when it comes to physical items, what matters more are square numbers :)

• RMweb Premium

It's all about how many boxes fit in a carton and how many cartons fit on a pallet in volumetric terms to make a stable cuboid shipping package.

Clue - 8 cubed equals 512.

But some limited editions have 504. So are they slightly longer?

• RMweb Gold

.....and it's half 1024, which is a recommended number of pixels width, when uploading to the net - or so I am led to believe. Perhaps some knowledgeable person can say whether there is a correlation between the 512 and the 1024 and why the latter is a good image width for use on the net.

.....and it's half 1024, which is a recommended number of pixels width, when uploading to the net - or so I am led to believe. Perhaps some knowledgeable person can say whether there is a correlation between the 512 and the 1024 and why the latter is a good image width for use on the net.

Traditionally, screen resolutions used to be measured in multiples of 8, because that makes them a round number of bytes in terms of dimensions (there are 8 bits to a byte) and hence minimises "wasted" memory. 1024 x 768 pixels (128 x 96 bytes) used to be very common 9and the colour depth itself was also measured in multiples of 8: typically, 8, 16 or 32 bit colour). So the "ideal" maximum size for an image was considered to be the most common screen resolution.

These days, that's all way out of date, and screen sizes are determined more by what looks good than squeezing maximum performance out of every last byte of memory. So you can now safely disregard this particular old computer wives' tale, and upload your images in whatever resolution makes them look best.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting, thanks for the answers!  A totally pointless question really to most of us, but interesting to know there's some reasoning behind it!

Actually, it's more about downloading those images from the web to view in your browser. Yes, you can upload a 4k image (which means a 2048x2048 pix image) but it'll take ages to get in a browser, as it's about 13MB (or more!) in size. Whereas a 1024x768 image is usually well under 1MB and thus loads much quicker, plus it saves on data allowance. Nah, that's not your problem, as you have broadband, right? Well, not everyone has broadband :rolleyes: So, uploading your raw images as you can't be @rsed resizing them is at least inconsiderate, or frankly downright rude!

NOTE: that last isn't aimed at MarkSG, but those who actually do this. He who fits the glove, etc... ;)

@Phil: there actually is a correlation between 512 and 1024, which is the power of 2. Get a calculator out and compute: 29=512, 210=1024. Why 2? It's the base of binary counting, as alluded to before. ;)

except a 4K image is in modern parlance   is in fact 3840pixels by 2160pixels ;)

It started with Bachmann, and an order for 500 was normally charged as 504 which covered the cost of the livery samples etc. Of course, if you then sold the samples, you spread the total cost over all the models and could reduce your unit price slightly, otherwise you're spreading the cost of an extra 4 (or later an extra 12) across your 500 models, and its another few pence on the cost that you really don't need. Box sizes don't have much to do with it - Bachmann is quite capable of packing a part-carton to supply the correct number. (CJL)

except a 4K image is in modern parlance   is in fact 3840pixels by 2160pixels ;)

Marketing drivel, dear chap!

Back in the mists of time, when we first got color* computer graphics, IBM started the naming convention for graphics dimensions:

320x240 =  CGA = Color Graphics Adaptor (Original IBM PC, 1981)

640x350 = EGA = Enhanced Graphics Adaptor (IBM PC AT, 1984)

640x480 = VGA = Video Graphics Array (IBM PS/2, as well as the following two,1987)

800x600 = SVGA = Super VGA

1024x786= XGA = Extended Graphics Array

then IBM gave up on PCs more or less, but the graphics card manufacturers and display manufacturers vied with each other to produce all sorts of resolutions with strange acronyms and no one really worries about screen dimensions nowadays.

Unless you're Apple and want to differentiate your handset from all the Android ones.  "Retina Display", anyone?  And, as I said, we're back to marketing drivel!

* Its really a medieval French word from Heraldry, I believe.  Although for some reason, we don't use the associated color names.....

Quick spelin cheque then outski........  :jester:

Marketing drivel, dear chap!

Back in the mists of time, when we first got color* computer graphics, IBM started the naming convention for graphics dimensions:

320x240 =  CGA = Color Graphics Adaptor (Original IBM PC, 1981)

640x350 = EGA = Enhanced Graphics Adaptor (IBM PC AT, 1984)

640x480 = VGA = Video Graphics Array (IBM PS/2, as well as the following two,1987)

800x600 = SVGA = Super VGA

1024x786= XGA = Extended Graphics Array

then IBM gave up on PCs more or less, but the graphics card manufacturers and display manufacturers vied with each other to produce all sorts of resolutions with strange acronyms and no one really worries about screen dimensions nowadays.

Unless you're Apple and want to differentiate your handset from all the Android ones.  "Retina Display", anyone?  And, as I said, we're back to marketing drivel!

* Its really a medieval French word from Heraldry, I believe.  Although for some reason, we don't use the associated color names.....

Quick spelin cheque then outski........  :jester:

Except you miss out a lot of  "standards" there....  the simple fact is that marketing drivel or not 4k refers to the video screens of 3840x2160    - 2160P may well be a more correct term for it..  but what 4K does NOT refer to is a 4Mega pixel image. which in widescreen is 2688x1520  - and is more of a IP Camera standard than anything else now.

Crazy isnt it..

Archived