Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Possible new commissions?

PenrithBeacon

• RMweb Premium

A blue class 45 with sealed beam headlights.......surely got to be a better seller than a number of basically similar niche 37s in liveries that only seem to last a year or two .

I've been buying on eBay for years and have noticed 70s/80s BR blue locos always seem to go for a premium, either the manufacturers are not producing enough of them or there are an awful lot of 70s/80s BR blue layouts we don't know about !

I agree that these 37s are quite niche but surely this is the point of Limited Editions. It brings the more unique and different locos to the market for the people that want them.

I'm sure that the DRS liveries and other liveries would be very popular.

• RMweb Premium

They are not minor differences the nose side grilles are completely different as 609 is a refurbished body and 038,059, 069 and 219 are not.

Thank you for letting me know.

I wasn't aware of this. In that case 609 could be produced and if customers chose to they could ignore the differences if they wanted to and renumber it.

• RMweb Premium

So a revised list of the locos that could be produced. This is a sensible amount and these locos could be produced with two changes to the tooling to incorporate the flush and headcode noses.

Batch One

37606 & 37607 in DRS Compass livery as a twin pack

37608 in original DRS livery

37609 in DRS Revised livery

Batch Two

37608 & 37611 in Europhoenix livery as a twin pack

37607 & 37612 if and when they recieve their new livery as a twin pack

Surely this has to be worth some consideration.

*37423 has been removed because I have been informed that it would require an upgrade to the tooling to incorporate the ETH sockets. 37610 has been removed because I doubt it would sell a minimum of 504 models in BR Large Logo Blue livery. 37608 and 37611 in plain DRS blue with Europheonix logos have been removed because no doubt the majority of people would want 608 in original DRS blue or 608 in Europhoenix livery and 611 in Europhoenix livery. 37038, 059, 069 and 218 have been removed because I have been informed that the grilles are different to that that 609 has.

Edited by DRS Crewe On A Mission

So a revised list of the locos that could be produced. This is a sensible amount and these locos could be produced with two changes to the tooling to incorporate the flush and headcode noses.

As I have said before - the nose end of these models would be fairly easy for Bachmann to produce and swap to make these. The problem is that all these 37s have the extra headlight mounted on top of the cab roof between the air horns. That is a tooling change needed to the main body part of the model and that will be the reason why Bachmann have not done these yet and seem unlikely to do so given it would need a change to the mould to allow this, and extra wiring into it if it were to retain the ability to have a cab light as well.

Those are costs and changes which Bachmann probably wont do - as the cab headlight mod to the tooling where it is probably scuppers this.

• RMweb Premium

Are you just going to whittle your wishlist down one loco at a time, until there's nothing on it and the thread is left to die in dignity!?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As I have said before - the nose end of these models would be fairly easy for Bachmann to produce and swap to make these. The problem is that all these 37s have the extra headlight mounted on top of the cab roof between the air horns. That is a tooling change needed to the main body part of the model and that will be the reason why Bachmann have not done these yet and seem unlikely to do so given it would need a change to the mould to allow this, and extra wiring into it if it were to retain the ability to have a cab light as well.

Those are costs and changes which Bachmann probably wont do - as the cab headlight mod to the tooling where it is probably scuppers this.

Thank you very much for letting me know about this.

I had forgotten about the top light on these locos and I didn't consider that the main body tooling would need upgrading to produce these locos.

I can now clearly understand why Bachmann haven't modelled these locos as yet. I was thinking that it might have been because of the noses, but if the main body needs upgrading to incorporate the top lights I would imagine that this would be costly. For a small amount of locos I can now see why this clearly isn't a priority.

Thank you very much for the information. I really appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

Are Rails of Sheffield intending to commission new models based on the companies that used Sheffield?

Lots of options GC, MR, LNW, GN, LYR!

Regards

You've forgotten the Hull & Barnsley Railway which started running direct services between Hull & Sheffield in 1906.

Davey

LMS Standard left hand drive Compound in LMS crimson, seeing as Bachmann seem to be in no hurry to produce one in the most common and long-lived livery carried by the class.  I gather they did used to frequent Sheffield from time to time...

In fact you could do two, one in 1924 livery with the number on the tender and one in the later 1930s livery with the number on the loco.

• Like 1

A blue class 45 with sealed beam headlights.......surely got to be a better seller than a number of basically similar niche 37s in liveries that only seem to last a year or two .

I've been buying on eBay for years and have noticed 70s/80s BR blue locos always seem to go for a premium, either the manufacturers are not producing enough of them or there are an awful lot of 70s/80s BR blue layouts we don't know about !

We must be long overdue a class 45 with sealed beam headlights, more so than another 37.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just when you all thought the thread had withered......., and if anyone oat RoS is watching........

N Gauge Falcon.

Please and thank you.

Four livery options (albeit the first livery is tenuous).

It has an association with the Master Cutler and the Sheffield Pullman, to boot.

Edited by scottystitch

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some cracking ideas here   :O Great stuff, I will make a shopping list and see what happens!

When you have a couple of spare moments,nip down to Cutler's Hall and have a look at a large piece of metal made by Firth Brown with a title proudly engraved on it.Surely,that's the city's pride.Model that...in several incarnations.....and they may even invite you to a Cutler's Lunch.Rails is a Sheffield firm..Can it not reproduce "The Master Cutler" in model form..both "n" and "OO" gauges.? Now there's an opportunity... :yes:    

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some cracking ideas here   :O Great stuff, I will make a shopping list and see what happens!

New models: RHTT set, Mentor Coach, Class 170, GWR inspection saloon, Caroline inspection saloon

​Adaptations: Class 55 Deltic, with working head light.

​New liveries:

​Class 66 - 66775 HMS Argyle, 66957 Stephenson Locomotive Society, 66750 in blue or GBRf (with headlight mod), EWS/DB class 66 with different new headlight mod.

​Class 47 - 47701 Waverley in Fragonset, 47813 in Rail Operations Group, 47812 in new ROG livery (think numbers are right way round), 47804 in WCRC,

​Class 37 - 37116 in Transrail Blue, 37416 in EWS Royal Scotsman,

• Like 2

New models: RHTT set, Mentor Coach, Class 170, GWR inspection saloon, Caroline inspection saloon

​Adaptations: Class 55 Deltic, with working head light.

​New liveries:

​Class 66 - 66775 HMS Argyle, 66957 Stephenson Locomotive Society, 66750 in blue or GBRf (with headlight mod), EWS/DB class 66 with different new headlight mod.

​Class 47 - 47701 Waverley in Fragonset, 47813 in Rail Operations Group, 47812 in new ROG livery (think numbers are right way round), 47804 in WCRC,

​Class 37 - 37116 in Transrail Blue, 37416 in EWS Royal Scotsman,

Nice list and would especially welcome a RHTT Set pristine or weathered and yes more named sheds (especially 66775) with or without tooling mods would be good as well.

As for further new models I think a Mk2f DBSO Set in Network Rail or DRS livery wouldn't go amiss.

Edited by classy52

Nice list and would especially welcome a RHTT Set pristine or weathered and yes more named sheds (especially 66775) with or without tooling mods would be good as well.

As for further new models I think a Mk2f DBSO Set in Network Rail or DRS livery wouldn't go amiss.

A MK2f in DRS livery ? I certainly hope not, as I've only just received one from Britannia Pacific models  :wild: 

A MK2f in DRS livery ? I certainly hope not, as I've only just received one from Britannia Pacific models  :wild:

Must admit never heard of Britannia Pacific until now thus taken a look at their website and models and yes they look nice but they're unpowered, being bespoke not sure they would be to everyone's taste hence why a new mainstream powered version of the DBSO from either Hornby or Bachmann would be nice.

• RMweb Gold

Must admit never heard of Britannia Pacific until now thus taken a look at their website and models and yes they look nice but they're unpowered, being bespoke not sure they would be to everyone's taste hence why a new mainstream powered version of the DBSO from either Hornby or Bachmann would be nice.

The DBSO should be unpowered! It is a driving trailer.

Cheers, Mike

The DBSO should be unpowered! It is a driving trailer.

Cheers, Mike

Yes I know but was thinking for the OO model to have them powered to take the strain off the other diesel model at the other end if you were to push-pull a full rake, it was just an observation and a suggestion nothing more.

• RMweb Gold

Yes I know but was thinking for the OO model to have them powered to take the strain off the other diesel model at the other end if you were to push-pull a full rake, it was just an observation and a suggestion nothing more.

I don't see the need, even my Lima 47/7 coped with a full length push/pull set without issues.

Roy

I don't see the need, even my Lima 47/7 coped with a full length push/pull set without issues.

Roy

Perhaps for the wow factor or novelty value, we could all pretend it is the diesel generator that powers all the system controls within the DBSO and get Biff to do a sound project for it...the ultimate DBSO.

Well, obviously Bachmann is making the DBSO, but there is no way Bachmann could justify the cost of tooling up a powered version of a non-powered prototype, particularly given how few they would actually sell.

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps for the wow factor or novelty value, we could all pretend it is the diesel generator that powers all the system controls within the DBSO and get Biff to do a sound project for it...the ultimate DBSO.

Yeahhhhhh... no. We could also pretend that mk3s are steam powered, but that would be equally crazy.

• Like 1