Ownership of LSWR T3 no. 563 transfered to Swanage Railway

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Gold
On 21/10/2023 at 14:56, locoholic said:

I'm booked on 563 tomorrow - what do I get for my money? It doesn't look like there's time for a run over the whole line - is it Swanage - Harman's Cross and back, or Swanage - Corfe and back?

As others have advised, the runs with 563 are Swanage to Norden and return, running non stop between.

• Like 2

Made it it Swanage after a 3.5 hour drive. My first sight of 563 was of it stalled on the climb to Harman's Cross, emitting a vast column of smoke that was visible for miles - apparently there were steaming issues, although there was no sign of these later in the day. The main problem was the six coach set used for the normal trains, as this was too long for the run-round loop at Swanage, with the consequent shunt-release manoeuvres causing long delays - my run behind 563 was almost an hour behind schedule.

Anyway, the loco looks lovely and I enjoyed my run behind her to Norden and back. My main concern was that there were more people photographing the train than riding on it - there really weren't many passengers, so if you can, visit Swanage - they need your support!

DSCF0159.JPG

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 23/10/2023 at 12:45, locoholic said:

Made it it Swanage after a 3.5 hour drive. My first sight of 563 was of it stalled on the climb to Harman's Cross, emitting a vast column of smoke that was visible for miles - apparently there were steaming issues, although there was no sign of these later in the day. The main problem was the six coach set used for the normal trains, as this was too long for the run-round loop at Swanage, with the consequent shunt-release manoeuvres causing long delays - my run behind 563 was almost an hour behind schedule.

Anyway, the loco looks lovely and I enjoyed my run behind her to Norden and back. My main concern was that there were more people photographing the train than riding on it - there really weren't many passengers, so if you can, visit Swanage - they need your support!

DSCF0159.JPG

Great sight to see, and cannot wait to ride behind it. But I have to be honest, the flying scotsman pricing put me off a little, especially as i’d need to buy another round trip from Norden to get to Swanage in order to ride it, plus taxi from Wareham, train from London etc…

I do get it..,

https://www.swanagerailway.co.uk/save-your-railway

but people also need to balance their own finances and “ bang for your buck” is becoming more important, especially when theres a lot of bangs to choose from, all wanting more bucks.

Edited by adb968008

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

To end the Swanage Railway Trust 563 Locomotive Group extraordinary year the project has been recently nominated for The Heritage Railway Associations' awards and the Steam Railway Magazine Award that is "voted by you, you the reader", The recognition is very much well deserved and you can now cast your vote online until the 18th January - here https://www.steamrailway.co.uk/read/hra-awards  Thank you.

• Like 5

My first sight of 563 was of it stalled on the climb to Harman's Cross, emitting a vast column of smoke that was visible for miles - apparently there were steaming issues, although there was no sign of these later in the day.

Pretty little loco, but you don't have to read much about crew experiences of practical steam loco management - especially when on the footplate of a loco of which neither had any prior experience - to realise how sensitive many designs were to crew technique and coal quality. This one was designed at a time when high grade 'steam coal' was readily available, plenty of volatiles for swift ignition, high carbon content, minimal ash content and little of that fusible. That made the fireman's task of maintaining sufficient heat in the firebox much easier back in the day...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

apparently there were steaming issues, although there was no sign of these later in the day.

40 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Pretty little loco, but you don't have to read much about crew experiences of practical steam loco management - especially when on the footplate of a loco of which neither had any prior experience - to realise how sensitive many designs were to crew technique and coal quality. This one was designed at a time when high grade 'steam coal' was readily available, plenty of volatiles for swift ignition, high carbon content, minimal ash content and little of that fusible. That made the fireman's task of maintaining sufficient heat in the firebox much easier back in the day...

They had issues with the drafting in the firebox and the blower. A new baffle plate in the firebox has seen a vast improvement in heating the brick arch and it’s been tested successfully with two dead 33’s which are the equivalent of six loaded coaches. The holes in the blower ring have been reduced too to give a fiercer draft as they were way oversize. So it’s looking good as they identified potential causes fast and have successfully tested mods. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Graham_Muz said:

The Heritage Railway Associations' awards and the Steam Railway Magazine Award that is "voted by you, you the reader", The recognition is very much well deserved and you can now cast your vote online until the 18th January -

That’s a tough field with several worthy projects too so even a nomination amongst those is great. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Some good video of it under load here. 

Really great video. I even enjoyed seeing those BRC&W Crompton type 3's chugging along. A class I got to know well during my extended apprentice training time at Eastleigh Diesel Depot. We hope to get back down south next month and take a good look at the fabulous T3. Thanks for the vid.

Kind regards,