Ownership of LSWR T3 no. 563 transfered to Swanage Railway

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, durham light infantry said:

Any contact between a Manufacturer/Commissioner/ Interested part is a strictly confidential matter , and treated with circumspect and due diligence. I was involved with some nearly 10 years ago, and despite not being employed by one party anymore I am still not expected to disclose any commercially sensitive information. Nor will I.

A number of knowledgeable RMwebbers work behind the scenes with manufacturers for our benefit. We may guess who some of them are, but we will not know the beneficiary, nor the project upon which they are advising - and nor should we. Suits me. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 9

What manufacturers are planning to make is confidential but not what they are not planning to make.  For instance Simon Kohler told the Wimborne Railway Society that Hornby was not going to make a model of the Blue Pullman and Hornby has not made one. At present 563 is not on view as it is in Herston works to repair some minor damage it received in transit to Swanage.  

If a firm was to make a model of a T3 I wonder who would buy it.  There must be a limited number of people making models of the Swanage Railway or who are running an LSWR layout. Yet if people are going to buy the LSWR cross country set they are likely to buy a locomotive like the T3 to pull it. Not many people are modelling the Liverpool and Manchester Railway but lots of people have bought a model of the Rocket. Perhaps a model of a T3 would appeal to a wider audience but possibly a smaller number than those who bought a Blue Pullman.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

A ready to run T3 hauling the new EFE LSWR cross country set shown in my picture would be an excellent combination. The T3 in the picture is a kit built model of 563. The livery and lettering are different to the preserved example. I think the model is in Urie's 1917 to 1922 livery whereas the T3 in the Swanage Railway seems to be in the Drummond passenger engine livery from 1895 to October 1917.

P1010690.JPG

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

A ready to run T3 hauling the new EFE LSWR cross country set shown in my picture would be an excellent combination. The T3 in the picture is a kit built model of 563. The livery and lettering are different to the preserved example. I think the model is in Urie's 1917 to 1922 livery whereas the T3 in the Swanage Railway seems to be in the Drummond passenger engine livery from 1895 to October 1917.

P1010690.JPG

Your nice kit built T3 is actually in her original Adams livery, not Urie. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 08/09/2023 at 19:18, Robin Brasher said:

If a firm was to make a model of a T3 I wonder who would buy it.  There must be a limited number of people making models of the Swanage Railway or who are running an LSWR layout.

Hi,

It is amazing on this forum how one group of people are saying a T3 is almost pointless, yet another group is saying it is a ‘dead certainty’ as it sell really well (in the EFE threads)

What manufacturers are planning to make is confidential but not what they are not planning to make.  For instance Simon Kohler told the Wimborne Railway Society that Hornby was not going to make a model of the Blue Pullman and Hornby has not made one.

Yet, Bachmann said that they would never make a Blue Pullman several times yet it appeared. Equally many manufacturers said a Garrett, GT3, Fell etc would never be produced, yet here we are!

So, never say never I think is now the state of the industry!

Simon

• Agree 4

At present 563 is not on view as it is in Herston works to repair some minor damage it received in transit to Swanage.  

So that is where it was!  Made a trip over last week to try and see it. Took a ride over the whole line and not a trace. Do you know when it returns to the railway proper? Ta.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, bude_branch said:

A couple of quick questions if I may for those who know more about these things than me:

Did any of the T3's appear in unlined black during SR days and although withdrawn before nationalisation, were any of them allocated BR Numbers?

Only 571 and 563 remained after 1936. 571 was withdrawn 1943 still in Olive Green and 563 received unlined olive green with Bullied sunshine lettering in November 1939 and was first withdrawn in that livery in August 1945. 
Although not allocated BR numbers as such they would have simply been 30xxx

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Only 571 and 563 remained after 1936. 571 was withdrawn 1943 still in Olive Green and 563 received unlined olive green with Bullied sunshine lettering in November 1939 and was first withdrawn in that livery in August 1945. 
Although not allocated BR numbers as such they would have simply been 30xxx

Thanks Graham.

• Like 1

563 is back on the Swanage Railway again. From the picture on Facebook it looks like it is on the Wareham side of the level crossing by Norden Station but it has not yet been reunited with its tender.

563 will be returning to steam from 21 - 29 October. Please see swanagerailway.co.uk. There will probably be testing runs before this and 563 will probably be on display on Saturday 14 October 2023 to coincide with the Swanage Railway AGM.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

That can't be real, it must be a new Accurascale model in 1:1 scale! 

Preservation at its best, I take back all I said and thought about the NRM decision to give it away. It may not be GER, but it is beautiful.

You were far from alone in your original cynicism. The proof of this pudding is that it tastes lovely!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Invicta Informant said:

Now undergoing tests at the Swanage Railway.

Many thanks Invicta for posting this wonderful film of such a graceful locomotive in such an attractive livery. It makes me want to sell up my Buxton home and return to Wiltshire so that I can visit Swanage regularly!

Fortunately I have a brother-in-law nearby and lots of friends in the Wiltshire village we used to live in. A truly fabulous restoration and done in short order.

Coincidently I am building a Jidenco Adams T6 4-4-0! I think I might paint it in 1940's livery though!

Kind regards,

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Coincidently I am building a Jidenco Adams T6 4-4-0! I think I might paint it in 1940's livery though!

Kind regards,

1940's limits your options a bit as only 681 (withdrawn April 1943) and 648 (Withdrawn August 1940) survived past 1937 and 684 was fitted with a Drummond boiler since July 1932.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

That’s a stunning looking locomotive . Great video . I admit I was wrong . When the NRM  transferred the loco to the Swanage Railway I thought they were having a clear out and that the loco would disappear under a tarpaulin forever.The Swanage guys have to be congratulated for a magnificent restoration in a relatively short period of time.

This has got to be the subject of a model . It almost would be mad not to . The only issue I can see is that everyone thinks someone else is doing it and you end up with nothing . But in the days where we are seeing a Jones Goods 4-6-0 model ( not criticising that - I’ve got one on order - but it’s not exactly mainstream being stuck in Riverside Museum , Glasgow) surely someone can see the marketability of this loco . 

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Legend said:

That’s a stunning looking locomotive . Great video . I admit I was wrong . When the NRM  transferred the loco to the Swanage Railway I thought they were having a clear out and that the loco would disappear under a tarpaulin forever.The Swanage guys have to be congratulated for a magnificent restoration in a relatively short period of time.

This has got to be the subject of a model . It almost would be mad not to . The only issue I can see is that everyone thinks someone else is doing it and you end up with nothing . But in the days where we are seeing a Jones Goods 4-6-0 model ( not criticising that - I’ve got one on order - but it’s not exactly mainstream being stuck in Riverside Museum , Glasgow) surely someone can see the marketability of this loco . 

As I said earlier...

On 09/09/2023 at 08:29, Ian J. said:

Once the T3 is steaming and running trains, and getting around the country on invites, it may become more of a target for manufacturers to look at.

• Like 1