Third-Rail EMU Photos

Oh yes.....we were still being issued with the old, long, rubberised black BR macintoshes for wet work, in those days. You wore your yellow bib vest over that. One evening, whilst doing the shunt in filthy weather, I felt a whack across the top of my back. Swinging around, there was no-one there, and I thought one of the team was playing silly bu88ers, but had to continue the shunt. It happened again, twice, and still no-one to be seen. When I was getting undressed that night for bed, by wife screamed. Most of my back had gone black and blue, like I had been beaten with a rubber hose or something. Turns out my coat had drifted over the juice rail, and I had had three electric shocks. The vulcanisation of the mac had not stopped the flow of electricity, perhaps because there was so much water and grease combined. It didn't actually hurt afterwards, and the marks just went away after several days.

Nasty - I can vouch for that experience entirely - had the same thing happen at Eastleigh (just the once though so didn't get the bruising and being of an electrification background realised straight away what had happened)

• RMweb Gold

A few recent photos from Redhill including one of a train terminating at the north end of new platform 0. A long walk for those getting off to the exit and even longer walk to the three car unit for Tonbridge at the north end of platform 1 which is now a bay

post-1557-0-76921000-1548347823_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-45935600-1548347859_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-38978500-1548347888_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

Re Post #884.

With respect to platform 1 at Redhill now being a bay, is that a temporary or permanent arrangement?

Would seem very odd (to me) if it were a permanent arrangement, as it would appear that a turnout roll-in and a couple of additional signals - yes, I know from experience this is not as trivial as it sounds - would give a through road which presumably would be more useful operationally.

Apologies for going off-topic on a thread for EMU pictures...

• RMweb Premium

It's permanent, and also utterly daft as anyone can see clear as day that it could so easily have been connected through to the up main off platform 2.

Whoever designed Platform 0 should be brought to book though, all open, barely any shelter and apparently in poor windy weather, rather abysmal to stand on!!

• RMweb Gold

Talking to a friend  who designs signalling for NR he said that despite the south end turnouts off platform 1 to access platform 0 which shortened platform 1 to less than 12 cars, they could have easily made the platform 1 a through one keeping it at 12 cars but decided not to. I wont repeat what he said about the current design.

There was also talk of a northern footbridge but that's hasn't happened. The current layout either delays trains when they are last minute replatformed whilst passengers swap platform and hike it to the train or they miss the train if it isn't held.

Edited by roundhouse

A few recent photos from Redhill including one of a train terminating at the north end of new platform 0. A long walk for those getting off to the exit and even longer walk to the three car unit for Tonbridge at the north end of platform 1 which is now a bay

Quite an interesting photograph of the unit at the north end of platform 0; normally if the Victoria to Reigate service has to be terminated at Redhill, it would be at the south end by the exit.  Yesterday, this particular service was running about 17 minutes late therefore not enough time to go to Reigate and back; the return working to Victoria is the last of the morning peak to join with one from Gatwick (I presume 8 cars, hence waiting at the north end of Platform 0).

Keith

Some photographs taken at Redhill on the 7th November 2009 showing the track layout before platform 0.

post-35437-0-87102300-1548458519_thumb.jpg

377109 leaving platform 1 with a Reigate - Charing Cross service.

post-35437-0-92727800-1548459116_thumb.jpg

377451 leaving platform 2 with a London bound service (possibly Tonbridge – Charing Cross).

post-35437-0-97619700-1548459527_thumb.jpg

377424 in Platform 2 with a Victoria service, and 377432 waits in platform 1 to follow with a Charing Cross service.

• Like 18

As they did at the end of steam.

But they werent replaced by other steam engines were they?

In the modern example we have new electric trains replacing half life (or nearly  new) electric trains so hardly comparable to new, more reliable, cheaper to run, easier/quicker to maintain etc etc diesel trains replacing old (or not so old but still), less reliable, expensive to run, maintenance heavy etc etc steam engines !

Arent we rather OT here?

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Premium

But they werent replaced by other steam engines were they?

In the modern example we have new electric trains replacing half life (or nearly  new) electric trains so hardly comparable to new, more reliable, cheaper to run, easier/quicker to maintain etc etc diesel trains replacing old (or not so old but still), less reliable, expensive to run, maintenance heavy etc etc steam engines !

Arent we rather OT here?

We are now!

Regards

Ian