Third-Rail EMU Photos

• RMweb Premium

The 313 Farewell Railtour has been officially announced by the BLS for 29th of April:

https://www.branchline.uk/fixture_set_id.php?id=372

The preliminary routing is err... interesting.  At least two locations on that list won't happen when NR have finished laughing and sent the approved routing back to the BLS so I do hope no  one is forking out their £62.60 a seat for certain sidings...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

The majority of the route can easily be covered using a Southern DaySave ticket for a fraction of the price, albeit without the guarantee of 313 travel. I appreciate that there are limitations to the routes the units can take with passengers, but it does not seem much of a draw... especially given the more interesting route the 455 farewell tour used.

I also understand a 321 farewell tour is on the same day? Would that dilute the potential number of users?

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

I also understand a 321 farewell tour is on the same day? Would that dilute the potential number of users?

Different area and probably a different potential clientele.  I wouldn't have thought one would make much or any difference to the other.  

The 321s were at least a fairly respectable class and suited to main-line operation.  The good folk of Clacton on Sea or Northampton might not have agreed having enjoyed the comforts of class 309 or 310 (respectively) for some years beforehand but nothing lasts for ever.  The 313s were dreadful from day one in my book.  I commuted on them from Harringay to Moorgate in 1977 so they were barely a year old.  313011 was the last into traffic quite some time after the rest iirc and was definitely new the first time I met it.  They lacked style and quality then and they got worse (and looked dreadful) with age.  

A return to Electrostar operation along the Sussex coast on all duties might improve matters.  Better comfort, younger trains, toilets available, first class available (pay a lot extra for nothing more than a cheap antimacassar - if it hasn't been "souvenired" by someone) and any train can go anywhere which might help the rolling stock allocation especially during disruption.  

• Like 1

From a practical commuting perspective, 321 were better than 310, because the latter were incredibly draughty in the winter. If you sat by the door (of which there were a lot!) you had the flesh of one shin cryogenically sliced off on the way to work.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Network Rail have not approved the routing for the 313 tour yet and the general consensus is that when they do, the various sidings that are listed on the proposed routing will be ruled out. 

Also it is booked to finish in Brighton at about half six in the afternoon and Brighton & Hove Albion are playing at home that afternoon which is going to be a bit of a problem...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Presumably the special isn't coming to Seaford, as it may be looking untidy while its roof is being replaced. When was the last time 313s ran to Hastings, or Eastbourne for that matter - or did they ever do so? If they didn't, it's a phoney itinerary.

Seaford station reroofing spring 2023.jpg

Seagulls at home 377 not 313 Seaford 4 3 2023.jpg

Southern 313216 Seaford 6 3 2023.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

I suspect the 313s are not booked to visit Seaford because of track occupation issues on the single line. It would be a useful toilet / refreshment break but the timetabled service must take precedence. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I suspect the 313s are not booked to visit Seaford because of track occupation issues on the single line. It would be a useful toilet / refreshment break but the timetabled service must take precedence. 

Maybe I will try to catch them at the South Quay aggregates siding - a.k.a. Newhaven Marine.

Seaford station does have one well maintained toilet off the waiting room, but it is only accessible when the station is staffed. The Steamworks bar at the east end of the station building is often fairly packed on Saturdays. So all in all it may be as well that Seaford is not a scheduled refreshment and comfort stop.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

One out and back trip from Brighton to Ore used to be in the timetable until about 2014 if I recall correctly, it was usually the first one to be swapped over to a 377 if a 313 went bang...

Seaford has single end feed to the third rail supply from the substation at Newhaven, two 313's can go there but if there were three together (that was the plan for the tour in the early planning stages my "reliable sources" tell me), one would have to be cut out.  As it is, there are no spare slots in the timetable anyway between the half hourly service to slot an extra train in, when the Network Rail test train comes down there, one scheduled service has to be diverted to Newhaven Marine and a bus laid on, presumably with NR picking up the bill so the farewell tour was never going to get there realistically.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

It is alleged that tomorrow, despite nothing showing up on various sites yet, that a Rail Operations Group loco (not sure what yet) will haul 313202, 313214 & 313217 for the last waltz., from Lovers Walk T&R.S.M.D to a destination rumoured to be Eastleigh, via Haywards Heath, Selhurst (stop for pathing), Clapham Junction, Willesden SW Sidings and then on to Eastleigh. 

This is loco hauled because these three units are not fit to travel under their own power, all shoe gear and other equipment having been removed.

Scheduled…R.O.G. Light engine plus translator coach arrive at 09:00 and departs 10:24 ex Lovers Walk. 

When their time comes, short of any major failures in the interim, the remainder of the class are possibly going to move under their own power via the West Coastway to Eastleigh. 

Ive just checked and I still can’t see anything on either Real-time Trains or Railrecord…however due to my whereabouts today I haven’t any access to anything else…what this space..I’m sure that their are others with access to Trust etc on here…

Cheers 

Grizz

• Informative/Useful 3

In the meantime, a couple of photos from last Sunday morning. With Lewes to Brighton under possession, a couple of Class 313 ECS workings, to make Seaford trains, ran from Lovers Walk ran via Keymer Junction and started at Lewes. 

313203 is seen passing Hamsey AHBC on the Down, working 5G10 0722 Lovers Walk T&R.S.M.D to Lewes. Looks like 203 has a patch repair to the cab front. 

40D4BC46-AA26-45CA-90F6-E8B9DE69BE97.jpeg.3e2b66dcd481c2ded4253589dbba3a84.jpeg

0FB1693B-FA98-4436-8DDB-70ED55753170.png.d0353cbb5fc65e8506b018fb78bc6f9d.png

• Like 14

377139 at CBR on 1F31 1233 Eastbourne to London Victoria. This flipping train blocked my view of 66001 on a Newhaven aggregate train at CBR. 🤬 377139 not my favourite unit, similarly with any of 377121-139, as they all have appallingly bad seating layouts. 

52FBEBF6-6127-4494-8D75-F5125DE30820.jpeg.8c140e1ad5af8761dfc23e5765c15399.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Bye bye….37800 hauls away 313s for scrap, with 313217 nearest the camera. Heading towards Haywards Heath running 105 minutes late. 

FAD95EB2-C0C6-4585-AC60-3B92636F2979.jpeg.ddf9032c1b3ea66dbf2d755ad8876d75.jpeg

Finally.

I for one will be glad to see the back of them, even if I have been out over the last few years (since I retired and no longer have to regularly use them) photographing them throughout the network!

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I would have loved to "just nip out for 30 minutes" to photograph them coming through Deepcut but infuriatingly a rather senior colleague wanted to discuss something over Teams.  Damn.

• Friendly/supportive 5