Lynmouth to Combe Martin L&B modular 009

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Yes I've diverted a bit in that I've moved towards the modular concept with operation and built this first as a test bed and somewhere for trains to run to.

Combe Martin is easier in that I know it all fits and will work, Lynmouth was unknown as I've had to use the shorter 12 inch radius points to fit in the runround and fit it within a four foot box. So I decided to try this out first and it's acting as the test bed for Freemoo9 that a few others on the NGRM forum are interested in doing too.

I only went with Lynmouth, Lyntown seemed clumsy, because it's been compressed by 30% in length and I'm not using the Lynton buildings due to the rtr concept. All I've effectively done is remove 'Lynton for' from the nameboard rather than actually add another station and I was tempted to go for Lynmouth for Lynton purely to allow the building subterfuge ;)

Lynmouth is a combination of two era different trackplans at Lynton too so I didn't want to pretend it was Lynton when the track and buildings take liberties to fulfill the modular operation idea.

The overall concept of this was similar to my Lulworth layout to see what can be done with ready to plant and rtr to look like a full accurate model. It's part of my ideas for people with little time and space but who want to enjoy model trains. It's a little side project from my Continental layouts really as fun and wouldn't have happened at all without the Peco, Scenecraft and Heljan models.

Hope that explains my messing with history and geography :)

Considering the topography I'd need to model another incline to get down to the harbour for a puffer ;)

Thanks for the info on the market gardens I've been considering an extra general goods siding and that would be perfect as a reason for the traffic. A small ice store to keep them cold waiting for the train?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've started on the next two boards which are mini modules to fit in at home. These will have to have separate legs as they won't fold up inside ;)

I cut the ends at 22.5 degrees (ish) to make a 45 deg corner.

I used a straight edge to find the centre and drew the arcs from there.

post-6968-0-76337800-1499722883_thumb.jpg

post-6968-0-47096400-1499722887_thumb.jpg

And a shorty straight module too.

post-6968-0-35504600-1499722885_thumb.jpg

track down and offered up to Lynmouth.

post-6968-0-94017000-1499722888_thumb.jpg

post-6968-0-62135700-1499722890_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Hi

I live a stones throw from the L&B trackbed at Parracombe so your layout topic has been of great interest.

Without wishing to find fault in your project or the fine work you are doing, it does raise the question of realism in our hobby. How far should we take into account actual landscape factors and history?

I am struggling with the idea of a Lynmouth Terminus when Lynton had a perfectly good one and a link to Lynmouth by cliff railway; albeit the station and cliff railway are a distance apart., the ability to physically take the railway to Lynmouth is very questionable and it would have surely disrupted the tourists  'little switzerland that prompted the opening  of the line in the first place?

On a more helpful note: Combe Martin, like Lynton, has a very good small museum which could help with background; I think you would find that your Combe Martin station would have been very useful to the market gardeners  who had a very important early strawberry trade etc also there was a good trade in rabbit meat pre myxamatosis ! There was also a busy Bristol Channel trade with ships beaching in the harbour , including an ex Clyde Puffer, possibilities there?

The Clyde Puffer may have been the 'Snowflake', owned in Ilfracombe, not really designed for the rough and tumble of the Bristol Channel or fast enough to cope with the ferocious tidal currents.   She certainly traded to Cardiff for coal for Ilfracombe gasworks as well as other adventures, and was always breaking down and being towed around the place.  My father, a Cardiff pilot apprentice is those days, remembered her and commented on the unsuitability of her name as she would be black with coal dust leaving Cardiff!  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'd been looking for a poster to make up a display board for the layout eventually and while asking around on the forums James Hilton of this parish suggested he'd like to have a go as he's just started up a small business doing digital prints of transport subjects. I'd already seen James other work, alongside his rather good modelling ;) , so I took the opportunity and commissioned a poster using part of the tag line from the famous SR summer comes soonest poster.

I sent James some of the style of poster I wanted and below is the result. To say I was impressed is an understatement and he's even done me a selection of prints which I will take to NG shows and split the profit with the L&B

Anyway as it's going to earn the L&B a bit too I'll post a small image here and look out for it at shows from next year ;)

more details from James here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/123853-james-hilton-draws/

post-6968-0-12353000-1500082137.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

No one seems to do the side by side brick top for platform edging like the L&B so I took the razor saw to some evergreen strip.

Still trying to work out what colour the platform top surface is though. I looked at Lynbridge in NG&IRM and that shows buff or grey depending on the photo. It seems to be grit rather than tarmac at most L&B stations but does anyone know for sure?

post-6968-0-36420200-1500562923_thumb.jpg

Now to cast a few more then start mass production ;)

post-6968-0-76544300-1500562976_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Freemoo9 the modular concept behind this layout will have its first demo at the Wessex NG open day on 2nd December

http://www.narrowgaugesouth.org.uk/wp/?page_id=384

I'll have two stations and a short run between. We will be operating using the Z21 dcc so if you'd like to have a go come and have a chat. I'll also have the two small demo boards to examine.

Just need to fit the three chips ;)

• RMweb Gold

As usual I got distracted and rather than getting on with Combe Martin a conversation has led to an intermediate station, Gratton Lane. Someone said "shame it's 8 inches wide as it won't be stable enough", so I think ok that sounds like an interesting challenge :)

Now I'll be cheating a little as I never intended this to be straight so I'm banking on the other boards being locked to this to provide part of the stability. It works with the big Harz layout so how much can I get away with? ;)

post-6968-0-54997000-1509294728_thumb.jpg

post-6968-0-21228300-1509295108_thumb.png

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...