eBay.de item requires shipping to UK/ seller won't post to UK

Dudley

• RMweb Gold

I had an experience which perhaps might give you the other guy's perspective. A chap in Germany had a winning bid on an item i listed as UK only. He then asked me to ship it to Germany. I quoted him the signed for RM cost and he then quibbled about the cost and asked me if i could find a cheaper option. At that point I reminded him he shouldn't have bid at all and if he wanted the item, that was the cost. It certainly reinforced my policy of UK only.

• Like 1

Good evening,

I hope this is a good place to ask. I've seen a new Rivarossi ex-USA S100 on eBay.de that I'd like to buy but the seller specifies 'will not post to UK' (- I don't understand why this should s be so.)

Can anyone suggest a way that I could obtain this item please? I don't know of anyone living in Germany or Europe mainland that I could ask.

Many thanks in anticipation,

Dudley

Do you mean that one:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Rivarossi-HO-HR2475-Dampflok-Reihe-989-1-OBB-ex-USATC-S100-Ep-III-Neu-AND-/352000773385

Odd ,this German dealer will post the USATC to the UK

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rivarossi-HR2477-USATC-Dampflok-S100-Ep-2-3-/361937822440?hash=item54452ce2e8:g:ZaIAAOSwB09YMBqv

I have been tempted, as I already have one

I have noticed that postage from Germany sometimes looks high, but additional items are at no extra cost to postage. Also when I have asked, most have combined postage. Quite often if listing not set up to combine postage properly it does not come through automatically, even if it says it will.

When it comes to scams, I have had those in the UK. Never certain if someone says something has not arrived . On the other hand I have had stuff coming to me, go missing in the post, and it was almost a local delivery!

Adding tracking and signing can help, but only if it is tracked right through, as I have had problems when items go missing and post office only track till it is out of the UK, no further.

One of the reasons I am using Shapeways for my 3d printing is to give me a global market, with no hassle due to postage problems. One reason I had thought of getting another USATC was to see if I could design a cab conversion to SR version.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

There's some in the UK that won't ship to Scotland. I have seen sellers in Lancashire who will happily send goods all the way to Cornwall yet won't send them up the M6 to places north of Carlisle.

I completely understand your frustration, this happens to me all of the time. There are some people who are just completely reluctant to send anything at all to Northeren Ireland and then there are others who will charge extortionate prices for delivery.

I've gone off the idea of shipping ebay stuff outside of the UK, but I'm a little miffed at the suggestions that sellers "just can't be bothered". Far from it. I always try to "go the extra mile" (pardon the pun). There is usually little extra effort required if any. Recently, I've shipped items to Spain on three consecutive occasions using Royal Mail International Tracked & Signed, usually costing about a tenner. The item is posted and a receipt with tracking number obtained. I put this tracking number into ebay as well as messaging it to the buyer. All good. After about a day, the tracking shows that the item has departed the UK (usually Heathrow). It then completely disappears off the radar for up to three weeks, which I consider totally unacceptable. Tracking the item on the Royal Mail website displays a message saying use the destination country's website to track. Correos (Spain) have an English language version, so hassle-free you'd think. The item exists on their system but simply seems to sit there (at quite often completely the wrong end of the country - Spain's a big place) for up to 18 days or so without delivery, forwarding or collection.

In the meantime, the buyer is quite rightly asking me where the item is as I quoted approx. 5 days. As the days go by, he or she is probably beginning to think I'm scamming him somehow and is probably considering asking ebay/PayPal to step in. All hassle I can well do without. So basically, yes I could always be bothered to send outside of the UK, now it's just not worth it for me. I do have better things to do with my time than virtually chase packages around the internet. Moan all you like about the UK and Royal Mail, Yodel, Hermes etc etc, but I find posting something within the UK to be reliable, not so posting abroad.

As has been mentioned, I don't have to post abroad, so now I choose not to. If you still think that's wrong of me, tough really... sorry!

Interesting revelations. It would appear that if a seller wants to participate on E Bay and has something to sell that somebody wants, they should be prepared to go through the procedure. The buyer is prepared to pay in good faith and should expect the same of the seller. Sadly not all sales go smoothly but that is part of buying and selling anywhere. Fortunately, there are a small number of instances where this occurs and most sales are satisfactory to both parties. Agree with the comments concerning the various postal agencies but while their methods may seem peculiar, theres probably method in their madness.

Brian.

Edited by brianusa

I had this situation ordering something from the US. I used a forwarding company and it worked very well. I just did a quick internet search and found this company: https://www.mailboxde.com I have no idea how reliable they are, or anything else, I just found them on Google, but on the face of it they would seem to offer a solution to your problem. 

Thanks for this info Orange Cat. Will look into it...

• RMweb Gold

I completely understand your frustration, this happens to me all of the time. There are some people who are just completely reluctant to send anything at all to Northeren Ireland and then there are others who will charge extortionate prices for delivery.

Sadly on the other side of the fence that simply reflects the costs we incur from couriers as a business. Both the Scottish highlands and Northern Ireland cost us around three times as much as the rest of the uk (most of our work parcels weigh 5 to 20kg).

I don't really understand this whole "not shipping to x country" thing.

With the eBay Global Shipping Programme, you ship to a UK destination and they do everything else.  If the item is damaged, you can claim from ebay.  If it doesn't turn up at the final destination, claim from ebay.  So long as you have the email, or a signature saying it's arrived at the GSP Centre then you're practically covered.  It's all tracked through ebay automatically then.

I sent a Class 170 to China through GSP.  While the buyer didn't leave any feedback, tracking shows it arrived fine, so I guess there's no comeback - although until the 180 days from PayPal is passed, anything can happen!

I used to do exactly as Pete but have recently been using the Ebay Global Shipping Program, Easy enough with no problems (so far). I've sold 11 items this year to Hong Kong, France, Italy, Germany & Belgium I'm not actually sure what would happen if there was an issue with the item and a return was asked for,  as although I stipulate "No returns" Ebay ignore that and freeze your PP payment, ( I know they're meant to be seperate but the payment was frozen 2 hours before the email from ebay).

Maybe the OP could ask the trader in Germany to list an item in that way?

"No returns" means that you do not accept returns if the customer has simply changed their mind and wants to return an item. You are still obliged to make good if there is any fault, or it is not as described, including the customer returning the item and getting his money back if that is what is required. That is why Ebay will freeze your payment if there is a dispute.

• 1 month later...

This "problem" will only get worse (much worse) after Brexit.

At the moment a good few sellers on ebay.de, for example, will only post to Germany and EU countries and no further.

Once we leave the EU bang goes access to the vast majority of sellers there. And in my case most of the models I buy.

Still I could always take up golf I suppose.... :nono:

• RMweb Premium

Why? Particularly if handled by eBay's own international seller programme.

We have no idea what, if anything, may happen to cross-border trade post-Brexit.

Why? Particularly if handled by eBay's own international seller programme.

We have no idea what, if anything, may happen to cross-border trade post-Brexit.

Simply because of the mindset of the average German ebay seller. Many already won't post outside Germany. Those that will usually restrict it to with the EU.

As we're leaving the EU do you think they'll all suddenly change their minds?

Plus if the hard-Brexit option is invoked we'll all be paying import duty and VAT on those nice European models too.

• RMweb Gold

It isn't just ebay. I tracked a Rainbow Bright train-set down on Amazon a few months back as I'd got one at Christmas from Maplins and at the time wanted a similar one for a gift to my grandson as he had liked mine. Available on Amazon in both Germany and US (but not Amazon UK) and neither would ship to UK. Even though we are in the EU the German part of Amazon still wouldn't allow a UK purchase; that is probably illegal under EU free-market trading rules but I didn't bother complaining.

All reinforces the view I posted on the PECO prices thread about preferring to buy in person from a shop even if a bit more expensive.

Be warned - I'm about to lapse into full-blown grumpy old man mode. It will pass, but...

...does every damned thread on this forum have to eventually mention Brexit? After we leave the EU, the sun will continue to rise in the east and life will go on. If someone in Germany won't post your model train, come on... really??? Big deal. There's plenty of ebay sellers that won't post outside of their own country now. Yes, I happen to like toy trains. I did, after all, register as a member of this forum. I do, however, have slightly more important things to worry about, especially regarding Brexit.

Listening to other folks' totally unfounded fears about what may or may not happen in the wake of Brexit is becoming monumentally tiresome. Politics are supposed to be banned on this forum. Can I suggest the word beginning "B" and ending "T" is also banned or perhaps added to the forum's swear filter? Failing that, I wonder what Brexit will be blamed for tomorrow? A short circuit on someone's DCC layout? Non-availability of Craftsman detailing parts? Failure of a soldered joint...?

:nono:

It isn't just ebay. I tracked a Rainbow Bright train-set down on Amazon a few months back as I'd got one at Christmas from Maplins and at the time wanted a similar one for a gift to my grandson as he had liked mine. Available on Amazon in both Germany and US (but not Amazon UK) and neither would ship to UK. Even though we are in the EU the German part of Amazon still wouldn't allow a UK purchase; that is probably illegal under EU free-market trading rules but I didn't bother complaining.

All reinforces the view I posted on the PECO prices thread about preferring to buy in person from a shop even if a bit more expensive.

I don't understand that situation.

About an hour ago a packet arrived here in the UK from Amazon de.

I have never had a problem with ordering from any Amazon site. I even have one click purchasing set up and it works perfectly every time.

I too would prefer to buy things in a shop, but in this case no shop in the area that I have access to has any stock in Germany and I would think that shops selling German versions of DVDs are pretty thin on the ground in the UK.

Did you just go by what it said on the website or did you contact them to check?

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

I don't understand that situation.

About an hour ago a packet arrived here in the UK from Amazon de.

I have never had a problem with ordering from any Amazon site. I even have one click purchasing set up and it works perfectly every time.

I too would prefer to buy things in a shop, but in this case no shop in the area that I have access to has any stock in Germany and I would think that shops selling German versions of DVDs are pretty thin on the ground in the UK.

Did you just go by what it said on the website or did you contact them to check?

Bernard

From memory (it was just after Christmas) even though I was logged in on my Amazon account it said the item from Germany was in stock but would not let me add it to the basket saying something like not deliverable to the UK. Whether it was one of those issues like the Bachman/Hornby one of retail rights in diff' zones I don't know. (UPDATE - sorry Golden Bright train not Rainbow Bright)

Actually quite glad as it turned out that I didn't get the second one as the first one I bought on a whim over Christmas from a Maplins store with intention of running it in summer round the flower pots on the patio only to find the box said it doesn't like sunlight on the infra-red. Forgot that after running it in the shade and left it where when the sun moved round it got on to it and, whether connected to that or not, it no longer works! Now pending a good look at it with the circuit tester etc., to see if I can bodge a repair as I still fancy a cheap patio layout to get out and run on summer days.

PS  A search shows that Amazon UK now show it as available in stock delivered from the US but at over £200 that's not a great deal as Maplins still show they have a few available for only £39.99! http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/royal-express-infrared-remote-controlled-train-set-a49tn

Edited by john new

Meh. Pointless conjecture.

No just my experience of buying models from ebay.de since 2001.

As for the hard Brexit option, you'll note I said "if" not when.  My understanding of a hard Brexit is to be outside the single market. Being outside the single market

would mean paying VAT and import duty. Simple as that.

• RMweb Gold

As for the hard Brexit option, you'll note I said "if" not when.  My understanding of a hard Brexit is to be outside the single market. Being outside the single market

would mean paying VAT and import duty. Simple as that.

Which is offset against the VAT not charged at source as an export.

• RMweb Premium

Yep, and on lower value items potentially paying nothing at all, so they'd actually be cheaper.

Let's not derail another thread with some Brexit frothing eh?