Cromford Wharf Shunting layout - structures and scenery

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold

Just revisited this thread Al and it’s a shame this project ground to a halt. I visited the site with Geraint the other weekend and I’d still love to create a model of the place at some point in the future….maybe when Middleton Top is finished and I get the workshop space down at the EVR. If a working MR mainline can be included it’s kinda got a bit everything. 

Hope you’ve sorted your 03 issues mate!

Jay

• 9 months later...

I mentioned a few pages back that I was looking at this layout for scenic inspiration for my own layout, Castlebrook Sidings but did not at the time think it would eventually lead me into completely changing the layout plan in order to better capture the feeling of Cromford Wharf, albeit freelance!

From my signature, you can also see that Castlebrook Sidings morphed into Blackford Wharf (which was the original name of my dockside micro, and pretty damn close to the name 'Cromford Wharf' and so got pressed into use as being more appropriate) but upon revisiting your thread I see that none of the images lost through the forum server collapse have restored (yet). I noted you reposted your Landmanlow pictures - any chance of doing the same with this thread? It would also be fantastic if you were in a position to continue work on this layout, but obviously either of those tasks are entirely at your discretion.

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
Typos

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve, thanks very much for your interest. I will dig out and try to replace the photos on this thread, probably won't be until the weekend now, but I promise I'll do it.

Al.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 26/07/2022 at 00:23, Alister_G said:

Hi Steve, thanks very much for your interest. I will dig out and try to replace the photos on this thread, probably won't be until the weekend now, but I promise I'll do it.

Al.

Hi Alister - thank you so much! I am certain I won't be the only RMWebber who will welcome the return of images of your modelling and layout to the thread.

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
Typo!
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/10/2021 at 13:02, JustinDean said:

I visited the site with Geraint the other weekend

I also visited Cromford Wharf / High Peak Junction last week on 1 August, as the weather was due to turn (it did!) plus it took my mind off other matters…

It was great to finally see it all in the flesh, although reaching it was more difficult than expected. 

Firstly, if anyone uses the Waze app for directions, it will direct you to stop on the A6 just after the over bridge over the old incline… where there is nowhere to stop and no access to the site! Grrr!

I then used Google maps to guide me, heading back into Cromford and turning right onto Mill Road (for Cromford Mills) expecting to Lea Road to the provided car park. However, Google maps seems unaware that Lea Road is shut at the junction of Willersley Lane due to a landslide leaving the road unstable.

Even though said landslide happened two years ago!

Checking Google maps now, it still doesn’t show that Lea Road is closed. It does, however, show that Willersley Lane is closed from where it splits into Starkhomes Road/White Tor Road - this was open last week, so I assume must be temporary for resurfacing work etc

Anyway, I got taken on a magical mystery tour via Matlock to finally reach the car park; whereas I could have continued along the A6 towards Derby and turned off onto the B5035 after crossing the river, immediately left onto Robin Hood Road and up to the hill to the village of Holloway, turning left onto Yew Tree Hill which then becomes Mill Lane as it heads back down the hill again and eventually around to the car park (ignoring the road closed signs!)

The ladies in the cafe told me the council said they would have the road repaired by November, but that they aren’t taking any bets on that (!) so if anybody reading this is thinking of visiting, please check out your options on Google maps before travelling, and save yourselves the extra miles I ended up doing!

Alternatively, park up at Cromford Mills and walk along the canal to reach High Peak Junction - if I revisit this summer, that’s what I’ll be doing!! 

Steve S

PS

There’s a (static) model railway of Cromford Wharf in a big glass case in the old workshops - IMHO, I think @Alister_G’s (unfinished) model is/will be far better!