Cromford Wharf Shunting layout - structures and scenery

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold

Any more progress on the track and scenery?

Gordon A

Hi Gordon,

I'm just awaiting the delivery of some switches and wire, so hope to start wiring up the track this weekend.

I haven't had a lot of time this week to do as much as I'd hoped.

Al.

The last two look like MR tenders.

Yes they are and they were used in the 1960s after the line was severed at Middleton Incline and water was brought in from Buxton each day. With no inclines to tackle, the centre axle did not need to be removed, although they must have created quite a squeal going round the curve at Gotham!

Regards

Geraint

Edited by Middlepeak
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Last night I had a go with my Silhouette cutter to produce some tender side frames reminiscent of the McConnell ones.

This is three layers:

post-17302-0-56203200-1494009570_thumb.jpg

which when laminated together, produce one side frame:

post-17302-0-04318000-1494009583_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-38344800-1494009592_thumb.jpg

I'll leave this to harden, and then add some springs and axle boxes.

Al.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

On the subject of laminations, this evening I made a start on the wiring, by building the control panel for the turnouts.

I decided in the end to go for electrically operated points using a CDU and Seep point motors.

The control panel is made from two sheets of 60thou styrene, one white, and the other clear, with a printed paper track diagram sandwiched between them:

post-17302-0-93676000-1494029485_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-82963900-1494029487_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-55849200-1494029489_thumb.jpg

I will start to wire all this up tomorrow.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Well I seriously underestimated the time it would take me to wire things up.

I've put short tails on ten of these:

post-17302-0-02495600-1494174792_thumb.jpg

and I've continued with the control panel, adding the point indication LEDs and relays:

post-17302-0-16675000-1494174794_thumb.jpg

and the CDU

post-17302-0-84895000-1494174795_thumb.jpg

I did a test yesterday with temporary wiring to check the operation of the point position indicators:

post-17302-0-52866300-1494174798_thumb.jpg

and now I'm starting to add all the permanent wiring. So far, I've managed to do all the common returns:

post-17302-0-81469400-1494174800_thumb.jpg

I'm suffering from neck and shoulder ache now, so I'm giving up for the evening.

It's exactly a month since I started this, and to be honest I thought I would be further along than I am at this point.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 1

Well I seriously underestimated the time it would take me to wire things up.

I've put short tails on ten of these:

attachicon.gifwiring-cromford004.jpg

and I've continued with the control panel, adding the point indication LEDs and relays:

attachicon.gifwiring-cromford005.jpg

and the CDU

attachicon.gifwiring-cromford006.jpg

I did a test yesterday with temporary wiring to check the operation of the point position indicators:

attachicon.gifwiring-cromford007.jpg

and now I'm starting to add all the permanent wiring. So far, I've managed to do all the common returns:

attachicon.gifwiring-cromford008.jpg

I'm suffering from neck and shoulder ache now, so I'm giving up for the evening.

It's exactly a month since I started this, and to be honest I thought I would be further along than I am at this point.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

TBH Al, I would call it good fast and quality progress mate, superb.

I'm pretty much at the same point with my layout that I started about 5-6 weeks ago, and that's much smaller and only has 4 points, so I think you're doing fine!

Wiring takes a while, but I quite enjoy it. It's kinda therapeutic, just connecting wires up. 

What are the point indicator circuits? It looks like a relay is involved. And are you using passing contact switches? Why 2-pole?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the encouragement!

I was feeling a bit fed up, but really when I take stock I've got a lot done in the first month, so shouldn't complain.

The point indicator modules are just a latching DPDT relay, on a circuit board with screw terminals for convenience. No special circuitry.

I'm using centre-off non-latching DPDT toggle switches, one set of poles for the 12V feed to the latching relay, and the other set of poles for the 16V output of the CDU to the point motors.

It adds to the complication of the wiring, but it should look good and work well.

Cheers,

Al.

• Like 1

Hi Al,

Your control panel looks a neat piece of workmanship, might pinch the clear plastic covering idea next time I build or upgrade one.

You are making much faster progress with your layout than I am with mine so I wouldn't worry too much!

• RMweb Gold

A bit more progress on the wiring.

All the power feeds are done on the control board, and the first switch, LEDs and module are completely wired up.

Here's the first module:

post-17302-0-52988400-1494366449_thumb.jpg

and the switch and LEDs:

post-17302-0-01614400-1494366451_thumb.jpg

and the board with power applied:

post-17302-0-84186500-1494366452_thumb.jpg

So, each switch has two LEDs associated with it. Each of the LEDs are a three-legged dual output device. One lead has a red LED, another lead has a green LED, and the centre lead is the common return. The two LEDs are wired in parallel with the output of the PPI module, but the connections are crossed, so power from one output goes to the red side on one LED and the green side on the other.

What you get is this.

If the switch is switched upwards, to set the points normal, then the top LED is green, and the bottom one is red. 

post-17302-0-50161300-1494366454_thumb.jpg

if the switch is switched downwards, to set the points across the crossover, then the top LED is red, and the bottom one is green.

post-17302-0-12181400-1494366456_thumb.jpg

The bottom LED of this pair is not positioned very well, and I should really move it to the other side of the switch, on the diagonal, so that it is clear that the crossover is in use. I may do that yet.

The other LEDs on the board are better positioned.

That's all for now,

Thanks for looking.

Al.

• Like 1

A bit more progress on the wiring.

All the power feeds are done on the control board, and the first switch, LEDs and module are completely wired up.

Here's the first module:

attachicon.gifwiring-cromford009.jpg

and the switch and LEDs:

attachicon.gifwiring-cromford010.jpg

and the board with power applied:

attachicon.gifwiring-cromford011.jpg

So, each switch has two LEDs associated with it. Each of the LEDs are a three-legged dual output device. One lead has a red LED, another lead has a green LED, and the centre lead is the common return. The two LEDs are wired in parallel with the output of the PPI module, but the connections are crossed, so power from one output goes to the red side on one LED and the green side on the other.

What you get is this.

If the switch is switched upwards, to set the points normal, then the top LED is green, and the bottom one is red. 

attachicon.gifwiring-cromford012.jpg

if the switch is switched downwards, to set the points across the crossover, then the top LED is red, and the bottom one is green.

attachicon.gifwiring-cromford013.jpg

The bottom LED of this pair is not positioned very well, and I should really move it to the other side of the switch, on the diagonal, so that it is clear that the crossover is in use. I may do that yet.

The other LEDs on the board are better positioned.

That's all for now,

Thanks for looking.

Al.

clever work Al, most of it's over my head but it looks great in action from the pictures.

• RMweb Gold

That looks good Al, great looking panel, will you make up similar panels for Bakewell and Grindleford?

Hi mate, yes, I probably will, although I might refine the method slightly - I didn't really leave enough room for the LEDs to be fitted, through making the diagram quite cramped. If I do it again, I would make the diagram taller and spread the tracks out a bit.

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks good Al, although I have no idea what you have actually done. I am afraid bicycle lamp electrics are my limit.

Derek

Thanks Derek, this is really small bicycle lamps... :D

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Can I ask where you got the relays from and how much they are ?  (I did do a quick trawl of the previous posts but didn't see this info).

Ta

Sorry Stu, I didn't actually say.

The ones shown are these at a fiver each:

https://www.modellingelectronics.co.uk/products/Single-points-position-indicator.php

However, they do take up a fair bit of room, and I would probably go for a multi-way one if doing it again.

Heathcote do a four-way one, the "Point Indicator Relay" at the bottom of this page:

https://www.heathcote-electronics.co.uk/point-indicator.html

and Block Signalling do an 8-way here:

http://www.blocksignalling.co.uk/index.php/shop/product/view/4/5

Hope this is helpful,

Al.

Edited by acg_mr

Never come across those indicator circuits before. Neat, but with 4 points on my current layout, I can probably live without on this one!

So, the motor is wired from the switch? Do you have to toggle back to the centre off after throwing the point?

• RMweb Gold

Never come across those indicator circuits before. Neat, but with 4 points on my current layout, I can probably live without on this one!

So, the motor is wired from the switch? Do you have to toggle back to the centre off after throwing the point?

Hi Michael, yes, that's right, the live feed from the CDU goes to the central terminal on the switch, and the two coils (normal and reversed) of the point motor come off the outer terminals. The toggle switch is non-latching, so is sprung to return to the centre (off) position when released.

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Al,

Very helpful, thanks (now drifting off to think about automating everything on the layout....)

Yep :D

That's the problem with looking through websites like for instance the Block Signalling one above.

You start off wanting a single servo motor, and then you start reading the product descriptions, and the next thing you know, you're planning a fully automated computer controlled layout with block detection, signalling, station stops, shuttle working and Uncle Tom Cobley, all on a 3 foot shunting plank...

Sigh...

Al.