RMweb

G.C.R. Model Event June 2017?

gr.king

Deeping Lane Depot is loaded up ready to set off later this afternoon once my friendly operator has finished work.

Looking forward to it, lets see if Deeping fairs as well on the wobbly floor as Bostcroft did last year! 

• Like 1

Looking forward to attending the event. It definitely has a different flavour with the real world going past outside. Just hope it is not too hot!

Hard luck, it is too hot.  Even when I went outside hoping for some cooler air a very warm breeze was nature's best offer.

Les

• RMweb Premium

Actually quite a lot of exhibitor, helpers and visitors were there all day. I was on the GCR Friends stand much of the day with the Bridge layout and at large the rest of the time. It is a super event, great layouts, good deals to be had from many traders, model attractions at 3 stations and a 3 train service plus good catering. An enjoyable, big event worth visiting over the next 2 days. Only really hot on the track side of the big tent.

Dava

I went today. A most enjoyable event with plenty of good layouts. Well worth a visit, well organised, plenty of real train services.

Whilst this event is fine for us visitors I have to say I would not want to be an exhibitor stuck in one of those marquees for three days solid in this heat. Well done to all of the exhibitors.

I took a visit there today and it was as just as good as the other shows I have been to on this railway.

It was again a warm day and travelled on one of EMT's 'Meridian' units down the Midland Main Line from Chesterfield to Loughborough, where upon arrival I made the 20 minute walk across town to reach the Great Central Station, where upon buying my £20 all day event ticket, I boarded the 12:15 departure down the line, only going as far as Rothley station (as I thought there was nothing much to see at Leicester North - there will be soon when the new museum opens!), where I looked round a small tent which had Model Engineering displays inside before buying myself a refreshing Magnum ice cream to sit out and eat in the sunshine before boarding the next train which took me back north over the reservoir and past Swithland sidings to Quorn & Woodhouse station, where I alighted to enter the main event arena marquees, which hosted the Model Railway Exhibition. This was once again a great show with many great inspiring layouts, many that I had not seen before all located inside a massive and very hot tent! I spent a good 3 hours viewing the layouts and it got so warm that on several occasions I had to leave the tent to go outside to cool down and get some fresh air and cold drinks, plus a chance to watch the real trains go by through the station whilst resting in the shade at a picnic bench under a tree, very nice!

If I could request just one improvement for this event, could the organisers possibly think of installing some working fans in the layout marquee for next year for the comfort of us paying punters?

At around 16:30 I left for home, catching the heritage Class 101 green 3-car DMU back up to Loughborough Central, and before I left the railway, I decided to spend a little time looking round the engine shed and took a few photos of some of the locomotives that were on display there before walking back to the mainline station, where by chance, my train back to Chesterfield arrived as I was walking onto the platform to end a great day.

Sam 

When I asked I was told that the quote for air conditioned marquees would have added 5 figures to the cost.....

I don't know if that is correct but it does sound plausible and it would have made the whole event financially unacceptable.

Les

(day out at a family event today then back on Rise Park in the sauna marquee tomorrow.)

• RMweb Gold

Notwithstanding an even hotter day today,this is an event with an enjoyable difference.Ride the GCR with frequent interval trains all day and drop off for an exhibition with something for all.Top quality layouts,including Bath Green Park and one in T gauge of a panoramic Forth Bridge....a stunner if there ever was.Good selection of trade and manufacturers.Had constructive chats with Paul Isles on the Hornby stand,apologised to Dennis Lovett for my blooper on Bachmann's latest black Jubilee .By way of atonement for my sins purchased the new Collector's Club End of steam 75075 which really does look better in the flesh and quite won me over despite previously held views on factory weathering....very tastefully and imaginatively executed.Had a good conversation with Chris Trerise of Kernow and handled and examined his Bulleid diesel sample which has well executed body shape and a good solid chunky feel to it .

This one is a winner .No sample as yet of the NBL D6XX.It will be a DJM coreless motor but I was assured by Chris that samples will be

thoroughly tested under load to ensure adequate performance....reference being made here to certain concerns over the current Class71 performance.

So things are looking bright.If you are in the area tomorrow,don't miss this event.

• Like 1

I went today. A most enjoyable event with plenty of good layouts. Well worth a visit, well organised, plenty of real train services.

Whilst this event is fine for us visitors I have to say I would not want to be an exhibitor stuck in one of those marquees for three days solid in this heat. Well done to all of the exhibitors.

As one of the exhibitors, it is very hot inside the marquees. Purgatory!

You know it's hot when the chocolate biscuits you left in the hotel never solidify!!

Visited the show today, arriving just before 10am and leaving just before 5pm. I am still not sure I saw everything. This was a superb show with lots of outstanding layouts including Leicester South, Bath Green Park, Hassell Harbour Bridge, Kirkby Stephen West and my personal favourite Old Elms Road. There was good trade support and, as previously mentioned, there were some good offers to be had. I certainly ended up spending more than intended. It was also good to see Hornby there alongside the Hornby magazine as well as Bachmann and Dapol.

I would echo the comments about the heat in the main event marquees. I felt for the traders and exhibitors in there. Sadly you cannot predict the weather and with outdoor temperatures reaching 27 degrees it was always going to be very warm inside. The heat did make it hard to stand and concentrate on the layouts for any length of time and some fresh air outdoors was a regular requirement.

It was nice to catch up with some RM Web members and share a beer - some nice ales on sale too! The train service was very frequent with two full line services handled by three steam locomotives (46521, 48624, 781018). Swift loco changes at Loughborough kept things moving and there was two short services adding to the frequency with a DMU and a top and tailed diesel service.

Congrats to the railway. Another successful event. I think this is becoming the best show in the Midlands, and is one of the best in the country.

Edited by andyram
  • Like 3

It was certanly a hot day in the marquees. Plenty of tea and coffee on tap tho and they do say having a hot drink on a hot day is good for you.

By mid afternoon Deeping Lane was starting to mildly protest at the heat. One point started playing up but a good clean of the blades soon sorted it.

Sadly I had one Sound Decoder go pop yesterday. However having purchased it from DC Kits recently Charlie was good enough to replace it for me. Can't recommend his service enough. He also recommended a better speaker setup and threw in the required enclosure free of charge.

And there's still one hot day left to go!

• Like 2

I went today. A very good event but the marquees became too hot for me by lunchtime. They need more openings at the sides to let air through. I went back to the marquees later in the afternoon but they were still too hot. Not a show at which I would want to exhibit.

They made as many openings as they could. Certainly more then there were on Friday but it was cooler.

Having exhibited at last years show it was certainly hotter this year. However with outside temps pushing 27deg theres not much more they could do.

The problem was the strengh of the breeze wasn't very high to permiate into the marquee.

Every opening also needed to be closed up again this evening for security. That will be different tomorrow when the big knock down begins!

Vid taken just before closing on Friday of our most recent shot at the Annesley Dido slowing for Rise Park Station.

Back to the sauna tomorrow.  I wonder how much of the stock has survived day two.....

Please call in and say hello.  We are stand 47.

Les

When I asked I was told that the quote for air conditioned marquees would have added 5 figures to the cost.....

I don't know if that is correct but it does sound plausible and it would have made the whole event financially unacceptable.

Les

(day out at a family event today then back on Rise Park in the sauna marquee tomorrow.)

I didn't mean installing anything fancy and expensive in the tents, what I really meant was just put a few electric fans dotted around.

I did see a handful of traders with the electric fans behind their stands, and when you walked past, I got a nice welcoming short blast of cold air!

Sam

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What a great day yesterday.  I really enjoyed myself at the show though my heart goes out to all those working, especially those  in the marquees. At least I could go for a train ride to get a bit of breeze.  Great layouts, a nice mix of trade and an intensive train service to boot.  In fact, every time I went to catch a train, the Crompton turned up! As you can imagine from my avatar, that brought a smile from ear to ear ( - and no, I wasn't just looking at the timetable!!!!   :jester: )  

Thanks to all involved in whatever capacity: a really grand day out.  Hope today goes as well

Best wishes,

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I didn't mean installing anything fancy and expensive in the tents, what I really meant was just put a few electric fans dotted around.

I did see a handful of traders with the electric fans behind their stands, and when you walked past, I got a nice welcoming short blast of cold air!

Sam

Indeed when I spoke to him quite early on yesterday morning,Hornby's Paul Isles was occupied in installing a chain of electric fans on theirs.Ironic that a spell of genuine summer weather should be causing problems.Hope it doesn't spoil it for folks too much today.It really is the best of all railway worlds. Edited by Ian Hargrave
  • Like 1

I visited on Friday and would also like to thank all those who worked so hard to make this a great event. Fortunately, in the morning at least, the heat build-up was not a major issue. The only thing I would say is that having exhibits in the corridor between the two parts of the marquee at Quorn caused serious crowd congestion there. Overall though the combination of models and full-size preserved trains is wonderful and I will be back next year.

Having attended this event for the past three years I have never been disappointed the show seems to grow with age. Although the temperature was extreme each and every operator, trader and demonstrator stuck to the task, determined not to let the paying public down. They should all be congratulated along with all the Railway staff and the Soar Valley model railway club for the hard work they have done to make the event the success that it is.

Many many layouts caught my eye but to single out specific  layouts from the larger clubs and societies for high praise would do a disservice to the many others that are effectively one man bands which are constructed with the same dedication and care and presented for our enjoyment. 

My only disappointment was that I didn't get to ride on the big railway having spent so much time in the exhibition marquees where I had the opportunity to have a play on Klinkerhofen on invitation by the very friendly husband and wife team.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I made the long trek south to the show today. Well worth the effort. Excellent show, totally agree with atticombe's comments. I did get to ride on the trains too and visit each station.

Interesting to see the human side of the show; GCR volunteer on crossing smartly dressed in full uniform despite the heat, Charlie from DC Kits melting faster than the ice cream he was trying to eat (very pleased with the sound he fitted in my 47) and lady on Hornby stand still smiling and talking to customers despite 3 days in the heat and having to dismantle the stand after the show closes then drive back to Margate tonight and into work tomorrow.

• Like 1