The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

English Language Usage

Hilux5972

• RMweb Gold

'can I get a (insert commodity of choice)?'

Yes you can, would you like one?

Top of my hates when I hear folk ordering (which I presume is what they think they are doing) food in restaurants etc.  I think my reply would be along the lines of 'sorry sir/madam but we don't allow customers in the kitchen, would you like me to get it for you?'

• Like 4

As long as I can understand it, I'm happy.

Enuff sed.

But that's the problem, an understanding can be made but it is not necessarily the understanding that the writer intended.

What I am truly shocked about is the level of illiteracy (and innumeracy come to that) which is demonstrated on this and other forums.

It's one thing being annoyed at people who start every sentence with So, talk in questions or use your instead of you're but when you are presented with writing devoid of any semblance of grammar or punctuation you fear for the future of the nation.

How are we going to make our way in the new world of Brexit where vast swathes of the population are functionally illiterate and innumerate.

Clearly all my (and other's) taxes that went to pay for their education has been wasted.

• RMweb Gold

But that's the problem, an understanding can be made but it is not necessarily the understanding that the writer intended.

What I am truly shocked about is the level of illiteracy (and innumeracy come to that) which is demonstrated on this and other forums.

It's one thing being annoyed at people who start every sentence with So, talk in questions or use your instead of you're but when you are presented with writing devoid of any semblance of grammar or punctuation you fear for the future of the nation.

How are we going to make our way in the new world of Brexit where vast swathes of the population are functionally illiterate and innumerate.

Clearly all my (and other's) taxes that went to pay for their education has been wasted.

And yet some of the very high achievers and those that have done so much for society have been either dyslexic, or had some other condition that affects the ability to learn the same as others. 

Just because someone does not write in a way that is considered "Educated"  it does not mean that they are devoid of imagination and ingenuity. 

• Like 1

;-)

Absolutely. It's not American at all. '-ize' has always been the spelling preferred by the Oxford University Press. '-ise' is used at Cambridge.

Yep, and many dick'n'harries offer 'ise' and 'ize' as acceptable alternative spellings. So where there is a choice always use a 'zed' otherwise it will fall out of use and we'll lose another letter from the alphabet.

G.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

;-)

Yep, and many dick'n'harries offer 'ise' and 'ize' as acceptable alternative spellings. So where there is a choice always use a 'zed' otherwise it will fall out of use and we'll lose another letter from the alphabet.

G.

Or even worse turn into 'zee'.

• RMweb Gold

However having duly clicked 'Agree' I am glad to see that only you and (one) other are paying the taxes needed to produce such illiteracy and lack of comprehension of grammar (but I do worry in case i'm that 'other'). :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Verily I say unto ye, that language can and does evolve.

Otherwise we would all be speaking like Willy Shakespeare, who no doubt is spinning in his grave over the way his English is now wrote.

Don't worry unduly, I too pay taxes but much rather I didn't have to. I do wish I was a multi national.

• Like 2

I read the early part of this thread when it commenced but I haven't kept abreast of it for a while.  Has anyone mentioned yet the use of "mute" instead of "moot"?  I always cringe when I read that someone has made "a mute point" and can't help wondering if anyone heard whatever was supposed to have been said.

Stan

I suppose a reasonable grasp of the nuances of language is desirable.

However what level is deemed to be acceptable?

I failed O Level English language. Does that make me illiterate?

However I knew my 25.4 times table up to god knows what figure.

Figures to me have been more important than words in my working life.

At work before the introduction of the desk top computer I had a Secretary who wrote my reports and letters.

Later I was once informed that I did not write a bad report for an Engineer.

To some extend surely it is all relative?

Or are we all to be condemned to hell for not reaching a set level in all subjects?

Bernard

• Like 2

I read that when Charles II opened St Paul's cathedral he called it an awefull building; in the sense that it filled him with awe. It has a different meaning for us these days. Although it can still be applied to architecture.

Edited by Ohmisterporter

Another Americanism that I find annoying: "we'll be gone a couple days". What happened to "of"?

And they completely mangle "couldn't care less" by saying "could care less". The fact that their version doesn't actually make any sense...

Edited by Zomboid

Another Americanism that I find annoying: "we'll be gone a couple days". What happened to "of"?

And they completely mangle "couldn't care less" by saying "could care less". The fact that their version doesn't actually make any sense...

Colloquialisms which don't actually make sense, but flow more easily that way, are common. "Head over heels", for example

"Often times" makes my blood pressure increase markedly. You just mean "often".

"Often times" was a common form, in former times...

Shakespeare used it, for one. Actually, Shakespeare used a lot of words and phrases which were new to him, and to his audience; the language was evolving rapidly at the time, and he was a man of his times..

• RMweb Premium

but you may not have one THAT I have for sale.

I've long wondered why auto correct in MS Word sometimes disagrees with my choice of which or that. This thread has motivated me to take a look at the rules applying to this sector of the grammatical minefield. Deploying google brought up sites predominantly aimed at the American market, this sentence from one of the on line guides perhaps explains why, "Note that in British English, the word which is often used interchangeably with the restrictive that".