The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

GENERAL ELECTION 8th June

martin_wynne

• RMweb Gold

That was somewhat unexpected.

More than somewhat - perhaps we should apply the 'Trump rule' to all politicians and work on the basis that - like him - they will do the exact opposite to what they recently said they were going to do or not do?  (n.b. that applies to all of them so not a 'political comment')

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately I'm not sure this will move things forward that much given that the country remains split on the Brexit issue. At least it gives voters an opportunity to vote for a positive vision/proposal, unlike in the referendum which was a simple question which offered nothing about what Brexit would look like.

• RMweb Premium

Will there have to be a bill to repeal the 'Fixed Parliament' bill enacted by the last administration but one; which, I think, would need a two-thirds assent to pass?

The two thirds rule is to hold an election within the restrictions of that bill (a vote of no confidence would do it as well). I think repealing it would require a simple majority, although would have to go through the Lords, which seems unlikely to be achievable by 8th June. I suppose that May feels there will be enough cross-party support, I believe that Corbyn has been calling for an election anyway so there may be enough Labour MPs to vote for it.

• RMweb Premium

Good move. ends all arguments about 'mandates' - one way or another - and as a bonus gives the Labour party an early 'get out of jail free' opportunity.

The word 'mandate' is the most over rated word in politics. It seems to be a case of "you voted us in, so we now have 'the right' to have each & every Bill passed, whether or not we told you anything about it at all".

So many times a general statement on a policy is made without any definition, of what it actually means. Or else, a policy is hidden away on page 203 of their web site, not mentioned at all during the campaign, then dusted off as a 'key policy'.

A former PM here, made a statement when some policies were never going to see the light of day, describing his promises as 'Core & Non Core promises'. In other words, outright lies.

It isn't what politicians SAY is the problem, its what they DON'T say.

Will there have to be a bill to repeal the 'Fixed Parliament' bill enacted by the last administration but one; which, I think, would need a two-thirds assent to pass?

As Labour have now said that they will support the vote on the new election there will be no need to change any existing legislation.

I stand to be corrected but I think that the Australian system makes everybody vote but does give the voter the option of voting for none of the candidates if you don't trust anything they are saying.

I stand to be corrected but I think that the Australian system makes everybody vote but does give the voter the option of voting for none of the candidates if you don't trust anything they are saying.

You have to turn up at the polling station and get your name crossed off the list.  What you do with your ballot paper is up to you - you can spoil it, eat it, etc.  if you want.   Alternatively you pay the fine or provide a good reason for not attending.

RM candidate anybody?

Standing on a policy of:

• All models to be available last week.
  • Locos to cost no more than £10 and be made in the UK. 
  • Nationalisation of Hornby, and the board to be replaced with people wot know about models. 
  • Military action against the MRJ to force them to get a website.
  • The CoE to abolished as the established church, and replaced by the new religion of 'Wishlists'. 

Archived