The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

GENERAL ELECTION 8th June

martin_wynne

<p>

Standing on a policy of:

• All models to be available last week.
  • Locos to cost no more than £10 and be made in the UK.
  • Nationalisation of Hornby, and the board to be replaced with people wot know about models.
  • Military action against the MRJ to force them to get a website.
  • The CoE to abolished as the established church, and replaced by the new religion of 'Wishlists'.

Could the candidate please state a position as to which green is the correct green as this seems to divide opinion on every BR, Southern, LNER and GWR thread?

• RMweb Premium

Could the candidate please state a position as to which green is the correct green as this seems to divide opinion on every BR, Southern, LNER and GWR thread?

The answer is simple NONE. Nothing wrong with Crimson Lake or Black!

• RMweb Gold

I am debating with myself whether to insult a number of political parties to get this shut down to save us all from having to read it for the next seven weeks! Very surprised it has lasted this long.

You don't have to read it. It is not compulsory to read any part of RMweb. Why should other members be prevented from enjoying this discussion just because you don't want it?

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

One thing that always puzzles me is the sheer volume of opinion polls we get thrown at us, in the run-up to general elections.

On past track record I guess we can expect AT LEAST one a day from here on.  I can understand why the parties want to do their own polling, but why do so many organsisations thinks it's worth spending their hard-earned on yet another opinion poll, especially when the pollsters called it wrong for the last 2 GE's in the UK?

• RMweb Gold

I was wondering. Dont know much about politics, can anybody tell me if Brexit can be reversed by a new incoming Goverment.

Just a thought.

Steve.

Given a sufficiently large majority and a willingness to over-ride the democratically expressed will of the majority (small, I know) of those who chose to vote in the referendum it would be possible for the new government to ask the EU if we could withdraw the article 50 notification. Legal opinion is divided- some say it can't be revoked, others believe that it can.

The fallout from such a decision would make for a very interesting time in politics, business, relations with the rest of the world.

One thing that always puzzles me is the sheer volume of opinion polls we get thrown at us, in the run-up to general elections.

On past track record I guess we can expect AT LEAST one a day from here on.  I can understand why the parties want to do their own polling, but why do so many organsisations thinks it's worth spending their hard-earned on yet another opinion poll, especially when the pollsters called it wrong for the last 2 GE's in the UK?

I'd imagine that it's a way of generating content for news organisations. 

So any other type on insult still allowed then.

Yay!

Have a brilliant photo of a handryer with wording 'push for short speech by N***** S******* but cant attach because when posted under jokes forum it was removed.

Perhaps because to many north of the wall its no joke!

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

I've been wondering why the election should be in June instead of May and the only logical reason I can think of is to avoid claims of political bias every time it's mentioned - otherwise all we'd hear about is 'May's Election', which might upset a few folk.  

Nah it's timed for after Eurovision , when we will come in with a spectacular Null Points and we will all go out and vote to tell Johnny Foreigner what we think of them.

Hi, does anyone else just feel burnt out from all of this, not just the politics, but just everything that happened last year. I have never felt so world weary and tired in all of my short years, it's like part of my humanity has died and everyday I feel more lost and separate from everyone else. The world doesn't seem to make sense anymore, oh that's the toe of the problem. I've known that the country is divided for a long time, but now the divisions are so wide and I don't know if they can be healed. So, I just want to say, whoever you are, I don't hate you, and it feels so strange to say that.

Up 'ere we have a vote on Thursday 4th of May to appoint a Mayor for Greater Manchester. Other local elections also various places as mentioned. As Scots region says above i'm also getting a tad bored with it all. The constant spouting of I'm right your'e wrong etc etc.

Still, its a bit worse over in Turkey (where they have just voted for Christmas !!)and a whole lot worse over in N Korea (no votes at all). I feel for the average Joe (Abdul or Kim) in those countries.

Nuff said.

Brit15

• RMweb Gold

As Labour have now said that they will support the vote on the new election there will be no need to change any existing legislation.

Which is evidently meaningless/pointless anyway if it can be circumvented so easily.

John 

Given a sufficiently large majority and a willingness to over-ride the democratically expressed will of the majority (small, I know) of those who chose to vote in the referendum it would be possible for the new government to ask the EU if we could withdraw the article 50 notification. Legal opinion is divided- some say it can't be revoked, others believe that it can.

The fallout from such a decision would make for a very interesting time in politics, business, relations with the rest of the world.

I can't think that would happen simply on a Parliamentary vote.  However a future government could call another referendum once the details of any deal were known, and would then establish the view of the public on the basis of what is actually agreed rather that what the respective campaigns last time chose to suggest would happen. 

Unfortunately I'm not sure this will move things forward that much given that the country remains split on the Brexit issue. At least it gives voters an opportunity to vote for a positive vision/proposal, unlike in the referendum which was a simple question which offered nothing about what Brexit would look like.

Neither did the remain state what the EU would be like in the future, especially as Holland, France and Germany had elections looming.

One real fact was that the electoral commission had the final say how the question was asked, I heard no disquiet from the remain side prior to the vote.

Would we have had a soft or hard membership had we remained ? 

Standing on a policy of:

• All models to be available last week.
  • Locos to cost no more than £10 and be made in the UK. 
  • Nationalisation of Hornby, and the board to be replaced with people wot know about models. 
  • Military action against the MRJ to force them to get a website.
  • The CoE to abolished as the established church, and replaced by the new religion of 'Wishlists'. 

Would have to stand against clause 4 though. We don't want MRJ to become 'just another railway modelling mag'. It's special. Very special.

What amazes me is when opinion polls get it right, as they base their findings of a very small amount of people, then spend years justifying why they were wrong 

• RMweb Gold

If a party (or parties) stood on a promise to do so, and won a majority, it could constitutionally outrank the result of the "advisory" referendum, or not..........

Not that it's going to happen - I can't see (for instance) Tory "remainers" voting for a Labour government even if such an offer were included in their manifesto. 

This is really about TM not wanting to be in hock to her right-wing backwoodsmen and sensing that now is a good time to ensure she won't be with her party riding high in the opinion polls.

Cynical? Probably. A smart move? Almost certainly.

John

....Why should other members be prevented from enjoying this discussion just because you don't want it?

Mmmm, a bit like asking why other members of the electorate should be prevented from having Brexit just because Tim Farron doesn't want it. :mosking:

6.30pm, and the BBC 6 o'clock News is still going on about it - and we 've still got another 9 weeks or so to go with this crap, god help us!!

Well, it gives the journos something to do, I suppose. Next week is the start of the French Presidential Election, which is shaping up to be a whole lot of fun. Then there's Eurovision!

Archived