A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

• RMweb Gold

And me re Sheeps Wharf.........feeling a bit needy....

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

I can see a definate risk of fire there........

No doubt some bureaucrat in Brussels will have determined the minimum distance from pipe bowl to beard....

Rob.

Edited by nhy581

Well that`s me entry submited....

Normally i`d run a mile when i see the word`s 'competition or challenge' associated with railway modeling.

But as i just happen to have started knocking some spare timber (left over from my new layout build) into a Cameo type of affair,and i already have THE BOOK! plus other Iain rice scribblings.I thought what the hell,let`s have a go,and i might actullay finish this one....!! :scratchhead:

Brian.

• Like 4

...I could always start another one...

Ok, so I have an idea festering in my head for another go. The idea kindly lent to me by nhy581 is based on the Midland in Bristol, with the beautifully atmospheric photos found in Midland Record No 30 as inspiration. I shall ponder on and see what germinates...

• Like 1

Oh dear. In a rash moment this morning, I ordered the book, so it looks like I'll have to enter now! The plan was produced quite some time ago, before the competition was announced, but I've been dithering about whether to build it, or a couple of other bigger plans I've also been working on. I'm so far behind with my modelling ambitions that I decided that small, simple and high quality was the best way to get a narrow gauge layout built. Whether it will be finished in time is, of course, another matter, but who cares if it gets me started on it :).

I had a quick look through the various topics for the rules, but didn't spot them. I know they're in there somewhere, but also that some of them have changed. Would it be useful to have a locked topic with just one post, that is kept up to date with the latest version?

BG John,

You bought the book?   :O  Oh dear . . . . there's no turning back now.  Welcome to the dark side.   :mosking:

Seriously, I feel the same way as you.  If this "competition" motivates me to strive on with a couple of layout ideas (yeah, I'm thinking of a second one), then how can that be a bad thing?

Here's a link to the thread that has more "guidance" concerning the competition:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/122142-points-arising/

Of course the solution is . . . don't read the book when it arrives.

Dave

BG John,

You bought the book?   :O  Oh dear . . . . there's no turning back now.  Welcome to the dark side.   :mosking:

Seriously, I feel the same way as you.  If this "competition" motivates me to strive on with a couple of layout ideas (yeah, I'm thinking of a second one), then how can that be a bad thing?

Here's a link to the thread that has more "guidance" concerning the competition:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/122142-points-arising/

Of course the solution is . . . don't read the book when it arrives.

Dave

It's on its way, so too late to cancel the order! I'm not good at reading books I buy though. I've got some I've had for 40 years and not read yet! I think I will read this one though. It's actually a help in cutting down my plan to the smallest and simplest version, which is good at the moment. I'd like to try building it to far higher standards than I've worked to before, but I'm not sure I have the skills to achieve what I want yet, so it will be interesting to try.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Finally got my copy of the book at RailWells yesterday. Got to bed rather late after reading most of it last night. Iain R is such a good writer on model railways with a much livelier style than most. Just wish he had an editor to correct the few glaring mistakes.

• RMweb Gold

He also comments on the comparative lack of 7mm scale standard gauge examples, which is what I have in mind. Nothing too similar there either.

Need to get the track planning software out (it's on the other laptop) and see if I can squeeze in what I have in mind.

He also comments on the comparative lack of 7mm scale standard gauge examples, which is what I have in mind. Nothing too similar there either.

Need to get the track planning software out (it's on the other laptop) and see if I can squeeze in what I have in mind.

Us 7mm boys are going to steal the show...

• Like 1

Well it's been quite an entertaining thread so far but, really guys, isn't it time to call time on this whole sorry fiasco?

I suppose the original idea for a competition had some merit,  but the fact that it was obviously a cynical attempt at promoting the MRJ magazine and Rices book meant that it couldn't really be taken seriously and the subsequent confusion over the rules and what is allowed - and what isn't - has led to the current state of afairs where neither those people who embarked on an entry under the original rules - or the people who are entering under the revised rules can ever be happy with the outcome  - whatever it is?

So come on MRJ - time to pull the plug on this attempt - have a rethink - and maybe try again next year - with a decent set of easily understood rules from the outset.

• RMweb Gold

Well it's been quite an entertaining thread so far but, really guys, isn't it time to call time on this whole sorry fiasco?

I suppose the original idea for a competition had some merit,  but the fact that it was obviously a cynical attempt at promoting the MRJ magazine and Rices book meant that it couldn't really be taken seriously and the subsequent confusion over the rules and what is allowed - and what isn't - has led to the current state of afairs where neither those people who embarked on an entry under the original rules - or the people who are entering under the revised rules can ever be happy with the outcome  - whatever it is?

So come on MRJ - time to pull the plug on this attempt - have a rethink - and maybe try again next year - with a decent set of easily understood rules from the outset.

Enter roasting pist. I cod have rotten that my shelf......

post-14122-0-59199500-1502757843.jpg