• RMweb Gold

Lovely snaps CK and glad work progressing on the the 74xx.

Talking of which my copy of Railway Bylines dropped through the letter box this morning. 

There's a lovely article on Dolyhir Station on the Kington-New Radnor line with some nice snaps of 7420 toying with a wagon and brake van. 

The atmosphere in the photographs reminded me of what you have portrayed in Bethesda Sidings. 

Thanks, 

Mark 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

The hills behind Plantagenet give some idea of the gradients all locos working back up the light railway face, when they leave Bethesda yard:

This is one of the most convincing scene-to-backscene transitions I've seen, CK, lovely stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Adam

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Brinkly said:

Very nice Tim. Certainly an improvement on the Bachmann chassis. 

Best wishes,

Nick. 

Agreed, strangely enough I made a similar comment earlier which seems to have disappeared ?

Anyone having similar problems ?

Either way looking very good matey.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, bgman said:

Agreed, strangely enough I made a similar comment earlier which seems to have disappeared ?

Posting is taking a little longer to show up than normal; I've hit 'submit reply' and its taken a good minute for the comment to appear and the 'saving' button to disappear - I just put it down to the internet at my end! :huh: 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, bgman said:

You posted on Tim's other thread. Mystery solved, my dear Hastings!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

9 hours ago, Brinkly said:

You posted on Tim's other thread. Mystery solved, my dear Hastings!

But I didn't post it in Hastings and I've never been there.

W.I.Showerehere

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

This afternoon I had one of my other panniers carefully shunting the 74XX around the yard, to ensure that I had set the correct number of spacer washers on the chassis, prior to installing the brake gear.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

45 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

This afternoon I had one of my other panniers carefully shunting the 74XX around the yard, to ensure that I had set the correct number of spacer washers on the chassis, prior to installing the brake gear.

It's a method I tend to use too, hope it behaves itself and you have a perfect running chassis.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, bgman said:

It's a method I tend to use too, hope it behaves itself and you have a perfect running chassis.

Thanks, all seems well at the moment, but unfortunately Ben Ashforth wasn't around this afternoon, so there are no photos.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, bgman said:

Does that mean you're happy with the chassis / rods etc running freely ?

Hoping the answer is a positive one !

Yes, the rods were always pretty free running, but the running in has improved matters to the extent that the new 'Captain's Slow Running Test' criteria were passed, albeit on the rolling road.

I have a feeling that the problem might have been the main motor worm not quite meshing sufficiently well with the first idler gear in the gearbox. This has now been rectified.

I also attached the flywheel earlier. There's a lesson to be learned here, when fitting flywheels. It's a 2mm motor shaft (a Mashima 1424) and the brass flywheel didn't initially want to go on it. I then reamed the bore on the flywheel out, but only slightly. Even that was too much and the flywheel then wobbled irreconcilably on the shaft when power was applied. I had another flywheel and practiced reaming that out even more carefully on a spare motor and that was fortunately able to be a snug force fit on the 74XX motor.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Super, super, super !

Nicely done matey, once again time well spent and well worth it. I'm certain it can only get better with use.

Thanks for the full explanation on how you achieved this, well worth knowing.

G

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Yes, the rods were always pretty free running, but the running in has improved matters to the extent that the new 'Captain's Slow Running Test' criteria were passed, albeit on the rolling road.

I have a feeling that the problem might have been the main motor worm not quite meshing sufficiently well with the first idler gear in the gearbox. This has now been rectified.

I also attached the flywheel earlier. There's a lesson to be learned here, when fitting flywheels. It's a 2mm motor shaft (a Mashima 1424) and the brass flywheel didn't initially want to go on it. I then reamed the bore on the flywheel out, but only slightly. Even that was too much and the flywheel then wobbled irreconcilably on the shaft when power was applied. I had another flywheel and practiced reaming that out even more carefully on a spare motor and that was fortunately able to be a snug force fit on the 74XX motor.

If it's that close you could heat the flywheel in boiling water then let it shrink to fit.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2